DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 04 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L H
Trim Level: no clue
Color: Black
Rep:13
GunDog1 is on a distinguished road
Default Need input from the experienced!

Ok first of all I havent been on in awhile due to deployment. Second....I sold my '04 hemi and now have a 2001 24valve cummins!

I am here in iowa and am driving the beast back to california hauling my motorcycle. So I didn't due research and bought a K&N Coldair intake just to try and help her breathe on the journey from iowa to TN to San Diego.

What are the tips I can get for the travel with this truck to keep the MPG at its highest? Its a '01 2500 with a 5 speed manual.

Also WHat should I do next performance wise? And Will anything work good with the K&N cold airintake?

I was thinking next I could work on was exhaust (straight pipe of coarse) and a tuner and then get a new intake manifold and intercooler.
-What brands should I be looking at and will it be ok to keep that K&N or just get a different one for best results?

THANKS!
Sponsored links
Old 04-20-2011, 01:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram
Trim Level: st
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
williamhartle is on a distinguished road

for a turner id really consider a smarty turner.

2 inch leveling lift 3 inch body lift, 34" bfg mud terrain TA KM2, straight pipe, vararam intake, superchips cortex, Firestone air bags, skyjacker n8000 shocks rear, s8000 front struts, painted head lights, tinted tail,cab mount light, big shiny chrome balls.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: '03 Ram 3500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:15
retirednak is on a distinguished road

I would recommend the Smarty also,but if it were me the first upgrade would be a set of gauges. As far as intakes go,ditch the K&N filter ASAP. Even Dodge has a TSB out on the K&N's. I didn't see much of a performance gain changing to a 5" turbo back exhaust,does sound better. I went with a Volant ram air intake,again didn't notice any performance gains. The biggest gains for MPG is keep your rpm's low on the hwy. You might consider new injectors for better performance gains and increased mpg if you go with 50-90 hp injectors. I'll be upgrading injectors in the next few months myself. Driving under 65 mph will give you the best mpg,55 mph should give you the best mileage if you can stand to drive that slow. In my truck anything over 65 mph the mileage really starts to suck
Old 04-26-2011, 05:20 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirednak View Post
I would recommend the Smarty also,but if it were me the first upgrade would be a set of gauges. As far as intakes go,ditch the K&N filter ASAP. Even Dodge has a TSB out on the K&N's. I didn't see much of a performance gain changing to a 5" turbo back exhaust,does sound better. I went with a Volant ram air intake,again didn't notice any performance gains. The biggest gains for MPG is keep your rpm's low on the hwy. You might consider new injectors for better performance gains and increased mpg if you go with 50-90 hp injectors. I'll be upgrading injectors in the next few months myself. Driving under 65 mph will give you the best mpg,55 mph should give you the best mileage if you can stand to drive that slow. In my truck anything over 65 mph the mileage really starts to suck

Good suggestions RetiredNak -
Old 04-28-2011, 05:06 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

Before you decide on an air intake system please read the Tech section on this web site. I think you will find it very informative. http://www.psmdiesel.com/conta.php
Jay
Old 06-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 RAM 3500; 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black 2 tone grey
Rep:48
rsg1963 is on a distinguished road

This may be too late for you and it may be too obvious, but here ya go:

Best way to save fuel for the trip besides fresh oil and properly inflated tires? Keep the rpm's under 1800 in the highway. It's by far, the single biggest fuel efficiency thing you can do. I know this from all the towing and highway miles I have put on my 3500. As soon as I push it to 1900 and above, mileage drops substantially.

I only mention this because you said you were new to Diesel's and this is something that is not the same in the Hemi/Gasoline world.

After that, It would be mod time. A real CAI (I am a fan of my Banks CAI), and a decent tuner would be my first choices.

Hope this helps a bit!

RAM Pickup: 2010 1500 Laramie Hemi: Magtec Rear Diff cover/AmsOil 75w-110 Syn, 24" Magnaflow, Resonator delete, Line-X; Bilstein shocks with leveling kit 2.75";305/60-20 GY Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grades; Lift Air Bag Suspension;
RAM Truck: 2006 3500 ST Cummins:Line-X; Leveling Kit 2" with Edelbrock shocks; Ultra Custom rims w/ 265/70-17 Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade; Backup Camera/NAV/DVD video/Reese 24K 5th wheel hitch; RDS 51 Gal tank/toolbox; Banks:CAI, MonsterRam 3.5",Monster Exhaust;Pac Brake Prxb.