DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 5.2
Rep:10
deeevo is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Ram 318 167,000 Carbon Build up

Need some advise as I have a truck that smokes and the oil pressure drops to zero after a brand new oil change. Let me give you some history.

So I bought this truck in November for $3000. Ran good, no smoking. Had 165,000 mile. Nice truck. Noticed the water temp would not get above 130. Figured I would eventually change the thermostat. I changed the oil about a week after and noticed it was burning oil. My father-in-law has a 2000 Ram and he is a diesel mechanic and has worked on his truck many times and said it is most likely the plenum plate. So I order the Huges plate and a thermostat. Great company btw. Yesterday we put in the thermostat and plate but once we has the intake off we were shocked to see an unbelievable amount of carbon build up. So much that oil could not drain properly to the crank case.

We cleaned it the best we could with a shop and vac brake cleaner. The plate looked pretty good. No sign of blow out and looks like the gasket was pretty new. We think maybe the person who did it didn't bother cleaning it out. That carbon had been there a long time. So we button it up. Fires up on 1st crank. Change the oil. And now the oil pressure drops after driving and is clicking right after start up. Only for a few seconds We checked the oil sensor. Seems fine. Any idea's what to try next? It runs fine. Idles fine. No knocking or pinging under power. I love this truck. It is my 1st truck. I want to make it better. Any suggestions would help. BTW... the thermostat was stuck open and we think maybe the engine never got hot enough to burn off the carbon. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeevo View Post
Need some advise as I have a truck that smokes and the oil pressure drops to zero after a brand new oil change. Let me give you some history.

So I bought this truck in November for $3000. Ran good, no smoking. Had 165,000 mile. Nice truck. Noticed the water temp would not get above 130. Figured I would eventually change the thermostat. I changed the oil about a week after and noticed it was burning oil. My father-in-law has a 2000 Ram and he is a diesel mechanic and has worked on his truck many times and said it is most likely the plenum plate. So I order the Huges plate and a thermostat. Great company btw. Yesterday we put in the thermostat and plate but once we has the intake off we were shocked to see an unbelievable amount of carbon build up. So much that oil could not drain properly to the crank case.

We cleaned it the best we could with a shop and vac brake cleaner. The plate looked pretty good. No sign of blow out and looks like the gasket was pretty new. We think maybe the person who did it didn't bother cleaning it out. That carbon had been there a long time. So we button it up. Fires up on 1st crank. Change the oil. And now the oil pressure drops after driving and is clicking right after start up. Only for a few seconds We checked the oil sensor. Seems fine. Any idea's what to try next? It runs fine. Idles fine. No knocking or pinging under power. I love this truck. It is my 1st truck. I want to make it better. Any suggestions would help. BTW... the thermostat was stuck open and we think maybe the engine never got hot enough to burn off the carbon. Thanks
It would be the plenum gasket more then the plate. Most likely the gasket cause those are known to fail at this mileage. Anyways you might also want to look into replace the valve stem seals in the cylinder heads cause oil can seep down the stem and into the cylinder which then you end up burning oil. If you remove the head and head covers replace all the gaskets the head gaskets the head cover gaskets the exhaust gasket intake gasket intake plenum gasket all gaskets really. Then torgue everything and do a compression test both dry and wet. The compression for the 318 (I have same engine) Should be a minimum of 100 PSI. Anything lower and you need new piston rings most likely for that cylinder. If you need any engine specs I have them all for the 318 and I have the torgue specs for the engine as well. I have it all as a 7 page pdf i believe so if you want it ill link it up for ya.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 5.2
Rep:10
deeevo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. I give it a shot.