DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Red Crew, Hemi!!!!
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
flash105 is on a distinguished road
Default Anybody else with this problem????

When I come to a stop, I feel a little jar in the rearend..... Could be the gas sloshing or the driveshaft, or anything else.... Any help????
Sponsored links
Old 04-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
Turbovsix will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash105 View Post
When I come to a stop, I feel a little jar in the rearend..... Could be the gas sloshing or the driveshaft, or anything else.... Any help????
Oh yeah - multiple threads on this board about this issue. It's been blamed on everything from fuel sloshing (in the 32 gal tank) to, as my dealer told me, "the braking system". I saw a thread on here the other day where somebody mentioned that when they turned off hill assist, it went away (ties into my dealer's explanation about the braking system).

My personal experience is that I can duplicate it whether or not I have a 3/4 full tank (which is what people claim causes the issue). And to me, it feels more mechanical than fuel sloshing about. But again, do a search and you'll find tons of threads on this one.....
Old 04-22-2011, 04:10 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: St
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:37
CORUPTWJ is on a distinguished road

I have the larger, 32 gallon tank, and I have never felt any "sloshing" during braking. Mine doesn't have the "hill assist" so you may be onto something there.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4x4 QC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
FingerBang is on a distinguished road

i have had that same problem when my speed sensors were acting up. to me it felt like once i was about to come to a complete stop there would be a feeling like you were hit from behind and pushed about a foot forward.

if this is what you are experiencing have the dealership check your speed sensors.

if you put the truck into 4hi, how long does it take the 4hi (or 4lock) to stop blinking?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:43 AM

Vehicle: '10 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport Q/C
Color: PXR!!!
Rep:28
jjride is on a distinguished road

Some of you feel it, and some of you don't, reason is, we all drive differently. I personally never felt in in my own Hemi, but I had a customer complaining about it every single time he stopped.. so he took me for a drive, and it's obvious. So i asked around the shop and a couple of my techs had the same issue but here it what they told me.
MDS - at a stop or idle the truck always runs on 8 cylinders. When you're stopping, you're off the gas, so the truck is in 4cyl. If you time it just right, when you come to a stop about a second later, you feel the "bump". Well that bump, is 4 more cylinders firing on when the MDS turns off. Little bit extra hp to the drivetrain, and "thump". It's that moment when every cylinder starts firing again when coming to a stop. If you watch your eco light, it should go out about the same time you stop, and a second later, you'll get the bump.

I tried this in my truck the same way my customer was driving and I can make this happen everytime as well. I have found that it happens more on relaxed driving and slower stops, or a complete stop from a slow speed. I can't get it to happen with a fast stop.

Alas, it is another normal condition of the Ram, just like the injector tick and the power steering whine in the cooler temps, and the trans downshifting when you let off the throttle on the highway, and the..... I'll just stop here. I love my truck, and every make has it's common noises and bumps and rattles. That's why you join a forum, so you can find out all the informtaion and you can relax.

Last edited by jjride; 04-23-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:48 AM

Vehicle: '10 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport Q/C
Color: PXR!!!
Rep:28
jjride is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerBang View Post
i have had that same problem when my speed sensors were acting up. to me it felt like once i was about to come to a complete stop there would be a feeling like you were hit from behind and pushed about a foot forward.

if this is what you are experiencing have the dealership check your speed sensors.

if you put the truck into 4hi, how long does it take the 4hi (or 4lock) to stop blinking?
haha.. pushed forward about a foot?? If you have your foot on the brake, and you move forward any distance after coming to a complete stop, you have more than speed sensor issues... or you've been hit from behind.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Black
JSlo is on a distinguished road

Bump to this....this has bugged me since the day I took it home....felt like the rear axle was loose but this is a reasonable explanation and my mind is at ease even just to know its not just mine.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2008-2008 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
ramSpoons is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjride View Post
Some of you feel it, and some of you don't, reason is, we all drive differently. I personally never felt in in my own Hemi, but I had a customer complaining about it every single time he stopped.. so he took me for a drive, and it's obvious. So i asked around the shop and a couple of my techs had the same issue but here it what they told me.
MDS - at a stop or idle the truck always runs on 8 cylinders. When you're stopping, you're off the gas, so the truck is in 4cyl. If you time it just right, when you come to a stop about a second later, you feel the "bump". Well that bump, is 4 more cylinders firing on when the MDS turns off. Little bit extra hp to the drivetrain, and "thump". It's that moment when every cylinder starts firing again when coming to a stop. If you watch your eco light, it should go out about the same time you stop, and a second later, you'll get the bump.

I tried this in my truck the same way my customer was driving and I can make this happen everytime as well. I have found that it happens more on relaxed driving and slower stops, or a complete stop from a slow speed. I can't get it to happen with a fast stop.

Alas, it is another normal condition of the Ram, just like the injector tick and the power steering whine in the cooler temps, and the trans downshifting when you let off the throttle on the highway, and the..... I'll just stop here. I love my truck, and every make has it's common noises and bumps and rattles. That's why you join a forum, so you can find out all the informtaion and you can relax.

I dont have the MDS in my truck, have the 4.7, but i still feel that little thump that you are talking about. I do have the 32 gallon tank but it seems to do it at whether its full, half full empty....
Old 05-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 5.7L 4x4
Color: White
dtru1222 is on a distinguished road

I dont have this exact issue but when i took my truck to the dealer yesterday and tried to explain an issue i was concerned with he kinda cut me off and explained exactly what you guys are talking about. I think he called it "kick back" from the differential. I told him i havent felt that yet but on mine when coming to a complete stop and slowly letting off the break it feels like im running over a bunch of small bumps in the road. They called me today and told me it was an alignment problem and they need to rotate the tires and do an alignment. Both of which are coming from my pocket.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Hemi 1500 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
RamManiac is on a distinguished road

Mine has NEVER done that. I don't have hill assist. I think that would be the problem. My MDS light turns off as soon as I take my foot off the gas. It doesn't wait for a stop.