DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram Quad
Trim Level: Quad
Color: inferno red crystal pearl
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
David Testerman is on a distinguished road
Default New engine??????

Hi All... I just found out that I need a new engine for my ram 1500 4.7L. The mechanic said that the 8th cylinder was shot and it is not covered under warranty because of poor maintance...I bought this truck pre owned almost 2 years ago and it has less than 50,000 miles on it. Can this be true or am I getting the shaft? Please help
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to RamforumZ

What is the reason that you went to the shop? trouble code? won't start, does not run well? or what?
things you could do..
go to another shop if it still runs & have them do a couple of tests,
Compression & Leak Down

by the way, 4.7L have been known to have the plenum gasket go bad, i doubt if that is your problem, but just giving you a heads up, there is a test for it too

did the mechanic that you went to actually say New Engine? or rebuild yours, or pick up a used low mileage engine ?

maybe Randy or someone knowledgeable will post better answers, but, they will also need more information about what the symptoms are
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for your quick reponse... It started with over heating and then the water pump started leaking. I changed the pump myself and then took it for a ride. after about 2 miles it started overheating and knocking real bad. I pulled over and let it cool for about 20 minutes. It would not start at first, but after a few cranks it started but really knocking loud. At first the water that I was putting in the radiator would not take then all of a sudden all the water sucked down the radiator. maybe the thermostat got un stuck and allowed the flow. the dealer I took it to mentioned new engine
Old 04-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

wow, it must have really been hot!!
likely warped the heads, maybe cracked them too
a hard knock could mean that the inserts were not getting oil
that MAY have hurt the crankshaft & 1 or more connecting rods MAY need to be replaced

IF the engine block itself was not compromised, it could be rebuilt, or used as a core for a rebuilt engine

if you wanted a low mileage used engine, here are some details that may come in handy
4.7 L PowerTech V8 engine in a Jeep Grand CherokeeThe 4.7 liter version was the first of this family, appearing in the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The displacement is 287 cubic inches (4698 cc) with a bore of 3.66 in (93 mm) and a stroke of 3.405 in (86.5 mm). It has a cast iron block and aluminum heads with two valves per cylinder. It uses a chain-driven overhead camshaft. It originally produced 235 hp (175 kW) and 295 ftlbf (400 Nm) of torque. The 2010 4.7l has 2 valves and 2 spark plugs per cylinder and puts out 302 hp (225 kW) and 329 Lb. Ft. Dodge has claimed that it has increased compression ratio and improved cylinder head port flow, the 4.7 L V8 is available with three transmissions.

Applications:

1999–2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2000–present Dodge Dakota
2000–2009 Dodge Durango
2002–present Dodge Ram
2006–2009 Jeep Commander
2007–2009 Chrysler Aspen

[edit] 4.7 HO/MagnumA "High-Output" version of the 4.7 L PowerTech engine, producing 265 hp (198 kW) and 330 ftlbf (448 Nm) of torque, was introduced in 2002, first appearing in the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland.

Applications:

2002–2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2005–2007 Dodge Dakota
2002–2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2006–2007 Mitsubishi Raider

2008 RevisionsThe 2008 Dodge Dakota and Ram pickup trucks, Dodge Durango and Chrysler Aspen SUV's, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Jeep Commander came with a Corsair version of the FFV 4.7 L engine, with dual spark plugs per cylinder, a new slant / squish combustion system design, and 9.8:1 compression, raising power to 290–310 hp (220–230 kW) and 320-334 ftlbf of torque.

if you could find a used one, you could use a 4.7 up to 2007 engine
you would want to keep your intake manifold & everything connected to it as far as wires, sensors, hoses, etc. so that there no issues with the replacement engine & all your computers & other electronics in the vehicle
my friend bought a low mileage engine recently, he set the replacement engine & the old bad engine side by side, then he would remove parts from the old engine & set them aside if the newer engine had an identical part. if the part was not on the newer engine, he put it on, when everything was switched, he set the newer engine in his Ram, then put the old engines manifold on the newer engine. With just a few adjustments, he started it up & has been driving it since then. His engine was a 3.7L 2004, the replacement engine was from a Jeep 3.7L 2009 model that had been rolled over

these are just general prices

used 4.7L
Price Range: $1,180.00 - $3,757.19

rebuilt 4.7 may or may not have heads included
$1600 - $2500

new engine
$1500 for just a short block, heads are about $1800
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:22
Tommycat is on a distinguished road

My guess is the dealer isn't lying to you... I'd go with a rebuilt. Pick up some used heads from a cylinder head shop. There's a place here that sells them for about $400 a piece, but I haven't shopped around since mine were salvageable. I wouldn't even bother with trying to save yours... If the block is gone, chances are the heads are too. Though you COULD go with a teardown of your own engine if you're feeling adventurous. You might luck out and find that the head is the only thing that's bad. Tools you'll need are 10 mil, 13 mil, 15 mil sockets in both shallow and deep sockets... A breaker bar(trust me. you'll thank me later) a torque wrench(get a ratcheting kind) a 4" extension for your 1/2" socket(for the breaker bar and torque wrench). Invest in some kitty litter and practice smashing fingers a few times to cut down scaring friends and neighbors. It's not that difficult to do, but take the time to make sure you save every nut/bolt/clip... Oh and get yourself a handy dandy little book on your truck. I prefer Chilton, but some people like Haynes.

If you don't want to do that yourself, it's cheaper and a better idea to just have them replace the motor. Labor to do just one head is about $2500(the reason I did mine myself, but I've been working on vehicles since fuel injection was a novelty). You'd come out ahead with a rebuilt engine installed rather than all the labor for the head only to find out the block is cracked...

Future reference, if your engine overheats, shut it down... Aluminum heads like to warp when they get hot.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks everyone for all you help...just waiting to see if this will be covered under warranty. The mechanic also said that the engine is full of sludge.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Color: PVR
Rep:62
DodgeTomahawk will become famous soon enough

Get the rebuilt long block with heads installed,this way your not dealing with someone putting the heads on,gaskets,and the chains out to each cam on each head.

You dont want to play with it.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:22
Tommycat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeTomahawk View Post
Get the rebuilt long block with heads installed,this way your not dealing with someone putting the heads on,gaskets,and the chains out to each cam on each head.

You dont want to play with it.
It isn't that bad really... but it is expensive if you have someone else do it. But if the block is needed, it's best to just go ahead and get the heads with it anyway for the simple reason that it's been overheating badly. Chances are with that bad of overheating, the heads need to come off anyway.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Color: PVR
Rep:62
DodgeTomahawk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It isn't that bad really... but it is expensive if you have someone else do it. But if the block is needed, it's best to just go ahead and get the heads with it anyway for the simple reason that it's been overheating badly. Chances are with that bad of overheating, the heads need to come off anyway.
I have done them both ways,with wedge tool and the timing chains and long block way.Long block you just rip out the old heated up aluminum block,and all its overheated internals and lay it aside.Strip your accessories on the old motor and intake and pan,starter etc etc and slide it it.This way a Starparts long block factory rebuild,you dont have to worry.

My last motor,i over revved it,via removal of limiters and snaped the snout of the crank shaft,it oil starved and overheated, and with a good friend of mine had an 02 getting a new 4.7 in 2008 for 1000 in a dealership...so that should tell you who or what iam on a side note.The dealer originaly said to me 8k,i said i will be back with free tow and 1000,he laughed,next day tow truck picked her up and i laughed at him and his rep for the northeast that got taken down a rung by someone much higher than he could imagine...Rant over.I just hate people that think,because they work for a company that controls a sector they are king...they are not.Funny thing is they tried to fight me all the way up,and it went back into their faces.

Last edited by DodgeTomahawk; 04-30-2011 at 03:49 AM.