DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500 QCSB 5.7L Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Bnixon is on a distinguished road
Default 2/4-2/5 drop kit, best ride quality?

Hello,

I have searched the forum on drop kits and have found contradictory info. I have a 08 QC 1500 2 wheel drive and looking for a mild drop to improve the handling of the truck. But I do not want to kill the ride quality.

I am bouncing between the Belltech 2/5 (spring) and McGaughys 2/4.5 (spindle or spring).

I hear that there are issues with the spindle kits. What are the known problems?

I also hear that the coil spring kits will return a rough ride.

Those out there with these kits, can you give me feedback on the ride quality?

I am looking for feedback to help me make a decision on which way to go. My intentions are to get gunmetal SRT reproduce wheels 22x11 with 305s.

Would greatly appreciate you input and experience.

Brandon
Old 04-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Rep:2217
iRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond repute

I did a 2/4 BellTech drop kit on my '11 and was looking to do 22" SRT rims as well, but went against that after I read some reviews on here. Just "search" 22" srt rims and it should pull up some member conversations about them. There is a lot of discussion about wheel hop and rear shifting "traveling". Best of luck.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 dodge ram qc
Trim Level: lone star
Color: black
davidmh13 is on a distinguished road

i have the 4/6 mcgaugheys kit (spindle AND spring) and the ride quality isnt really that bad. its definitely different, feels sportier for lack of a better word, but if you do it the right way i dont think you should have too much complaint.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Satin Orange
Rep:627
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

What issues have you heard with Spindles on these trucks? The only concerns i have is the weight of the spindles and having some clearance concerns on certain 17 rims. Nothing a little grinding cant fix on the latter.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 04-26-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay9 View Post
What issues have you heard with Spindles on these trucks? The only concerns i have is the weight of the spindles and having some clearance concerns on certain 17 rims. Nothing a little grinding cant fix on the latter.
I read that they make the wheels set out further that stock. I also heard about the clearance issues on small er wheels but that doesn't concern me as I will be going with 22" SRT.

I want the truck to feel sportier I just don't want to have the truck hopping down the road. I had a 2004 Ram QCSB 2500 5.7 4x4 with extra helper spring in the rear. That thing road rough and was the reason I went with the 2 wheel drive 2008 Ram QCSB 1500 that I have now. But my 2500 4x4 handled 200% better than my current 08 1500! The 1500 is like a boat going around the corners and has terrible bump steer at highway speeds! This is what i want to fix. Make it handle better but not get back the bumpy ride (Mainly the rear end).

I will need to look up the SRT wheel issues iRESQuI talked about.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:56 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Satin Orange
Rep:627
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

Spindles will also keep it very close to stock geometry vs springs where you may issues with alignment.

The drop will lower the center of gravity but shocks is what will make a difference in the way the truck will ride. In addition, adding a rear sway bar will dramatically change the way your vehicle corners due to taking away a very high percentage of body roll.
If you still have axle hop then caltracs can take care of that.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So the progressive rate springs don't effect the handling all that much?

Do you know if the pushing out of the wheels is real?

Kay9, do you have spindles on your truck? If so what has been your experience?

iRESQu, so you say this is related to the 22 SRT wheels? "There is a lot of discussion about wheel hop and rear shifting "traveling"" I did a search but didn't come up with any negatives on the SRT wheels. Must not have used the right key words. Do you have a link to the discussion on this issue(s)?

Thanks for the feedback, I really value your experience and opinions!

Brandon
Old 04-28-2011, 09:03 AM

iRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnixon View Post
So the progressive rate springs don't effect the handling all that much?

Do you know if the pushing out of the wheels is real?

Kay9, do you have spindles on your truck? If so what has been your experience?

iRESQu, so you say this is related to the 22 SRT wheels? "There is a lot of discussion about wheel hop and rear shifting "traveling"" I did a search but didn't come up with any negatives on the SRT wheels. Must not have used the right key words. Do you have a link to the discussion on this issue(s)?

Thanks for the feedback, I really value your experience and opinions!

Brandon
Of course I say something that typically wasn't hard to find and now I can't find it. I am doing research and I WILL get back to you. I might have to just pm you the info. Give me a couple of days at most and I will have answers for you, PROMISE! The "search" sucks.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:19 AM

Here is one that slightly hits on the subject:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=80373

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=79752

These are the two I can find now.....still looking.

Last edited by iRESQu; 04-28-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Wow! Thanks for the links!

So has anyone determined the actual cause of the bump steer/skating? Is it the rear or front suspension that causes it?

I would think that if cutting the rear coils solved the problem for Chithead then the rear suspension is the culprit. So maybe it is rear wheel hop? Has anyone really identified what the geometry issue is on these trucks?