Hi all. If I decide not to trade my Ram right now I am thinking about changing it up a little. It's currently leveled with a little over an inch of front lift via the torsion bars and sitting on A/T tires. I have always thought the truck sits really high and I have found myself wishing I could afford bigger, taller tires to help fill the large gaps between the stock sized tires and the fenders. I can't afford or justify bigger tires right now so I am thinking about lowering the truck a little instead to help get rid of some of that fender gap. Depending on how it looks, I might even switch back to a street/sport tire eventually.
I am completely new to lowering so I have done a little reading and got a basic gameplan together but I have a few specific questions. I don't want anything too low or expensive so I am thinking a rear shackle kit and simply adjusting the torsion bars back down for the front.
I have found several drop shackle kits that look good from Ground Force, McGaughys, Western Chassis, and MaxTrac. Some say 1.5" and some say 2". Couple of questions here.
* Should I shoot for a 1.5" or 2" drop? I think I would prefer a 2" but I am concerned about being able to lower the front enough with only the torsion bars. I raised the front about 1-1/8 to 1-1/4" with the bars so with a 2" rear drop I would need to lower it back to stock plus drop another 3/4" or so to keep the level stance. With a 1.5" kit I would only have to lower it back to stock plus another 1/4" or so. How low is too low for the stock front end?
* Some of these drop shackles are listed for 2wd and don't mention 4wd. Will these work on my 4x4 as well?
* Will drop shackles affect the ride quality of the truck at all? Will I need new rear shocks after the drop?
* How difficult are the rear shackles to install? Something I could do in my driveway or wouldn't cost much to have installed?
* Do you guys think this venture is even worth it? Am a really going to be able to see a difference with just a 1.5-2" drop?
Here's a pic of how my truck sits now for reference.
And here is what I would love for my truck to look like although I doubt it is going to happen because I am guessing he has more drop than I am willing to try for and those SRT rims look like 22's.
Thanks ahead of time!!