DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge 1500
Rep:10
tufflife is on a distinguished road
Default No power with key and ghosts??

I have a 2001 dodge 1500 with a weird problem. When I open the door the light in the cab comes on and if I put the key in the ignition not turning it, I hear the ding. Now when I turn the key on, not to ignition, there is no power to any instrument panels at all. Of course turning it to ignition nothing happens. Now , if I jump the truck no problems.

Here is the wierd problem. yesterday morning, it did this, I drove it to work, turned it off, tried to start it same thing as above. So I jumped it. Drove it home shut it off, i tried it and no problems started up and I did that two times. this morning I went and it started right up. The day before yesterday I drove it no problems. Nothing is being left on.

Another wierd thing is this. Say last night I drove home no problems and started up here and there. I park it and the next morning it starts right up, but, I notice the radio was reset like the power went off by itself. So from the night before till the next morning the truck just being parked somehow lost power on its own??? wierd....

Any ideas? Someone says it might be the regulator in the alternator as that is how his acted. Could that be the problem and if I test the alternator would it show bad?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

How many miles are on the truck?
How long since you've replaced the battery?
How corroded are the battery terminals?
Have you got a voltage meter to check the voltage across the battery?

It sounds like a battery with a bad cell or two. I wouldn't suspect the alternator as it sounds like there are days when it does take a charge and days it doesn't.

On another note, Welcome to the ForumZ and how about dropping by the Newbie Checkin and introduce yourself. You can use the link in my SIG.

Post some pics for the rest of us to see.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge 1500
Rep:10
tufflife is on a distinguished road

I just replaced the battery and replaced the terminals by cleaning the cables up to as they where corroded about a month ago.

My truck has 128000 miles on it.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

My first guesses were Battery cables and battery, but you have already replaced those, so next on my list is the alternator. If it's not charging the battery all the time, you could experience the problems you have described, but I would expect there to be some indication on the dash of a charging issue. Does yours have a voltmeter on the dash? If so, what does it show during normal operation, and when the problem occurs.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI