DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
TedP is on a distinguished road

Hi. I have a fan from a Ford Taurus 3.8. I plan to put it on today. Just psyching myself up for the mod. I'll post results of the mod tonight or tomorrow. Then I'll post MPG results in a couple weeks. Thanks.

Ted
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram QC Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Rep:39
mbehlok is on a distinguished road

I believe Flex-A-Lite makes a direct replacement fan for the 06-08 models, maybe even others..

Have not tried it myself yet though..
Old 05-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 Mega Cab
Color: White
JmegacabinGA is on a distinguished road

I would like to do this mod too, but is there a pictorial how to somewhere on the site? I'm new to DIY mods...
Old 05-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hi. The only diy and pictorial i have seen is at

http://www.*************/f76/efan-diy-3455/index5.html

scroll down to the post on 1/19/11 at 1:45 AM. It is this pictorial that I am following. The Taurus fan cost me 33 bucks and the controller 35 bucks and that's it.

Thanks.

Ted
Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hi. Sorry. The website is w w w . r a m f o r u m . c o m
Old 05-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well...I finished the Efan upgrade. Went smooth but I took my time. I used pipe strapping and nut an bolted the top straps to holes on the top edge of the radiator and the bottom straps to a crossmember that had holes in it already...just used nuts and washers and Loctite on everything. I drilled 4 holes in the Taurus fan housing for the straps to connect to. So far I see an increase of 2.5 mpg per the overhead. I need another couple weeks to really see what it is. I drive 27 miles one way to work, twice a week. I used to average at the end of the day about 13.5. I hope to see atleast 15 now. I'll keep everyone posted. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ted
Old 05-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 Mega Cab
Color: White
JmegacabinGA is on a distinguished road

The thing that scares me about this mod is that every fan I've found is around $300, and even if I got 2 MPG out of it, I wouldn't recoil that money for like 50 tanks, and that's a little below CURRENT prices.

Where are y'all finding these fans?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Quad Cab
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal
Rep:17
07HemiRam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedP View Post
Thanks. Does anyone know if the fan has to come on what the ac or defroster are on? Why? Or can the fan be based strictly on coolant temp in the radiator via temp probe? Thanks.

Ted
What year? I have an '07 and it has a separate fan and radiator for the a/c. I run the a/c without turning on the e-fan except in traffic I just have it on a lot. Im gonna put the 180 t-stat in soon.
6000K Bi-Xenon Headlights, 8000K Xenon Fog lights, Superchips Flashpaq, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Flowmaster y-pipe, Composite BFI with Amsoil dry filter, Flex-a-lite electric fan, 180* JET thermostat, 85mm Fastman throttle body.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hi. You are right. Mine has a separate fan and radiator for the A/C as well. I wired up the new efan without the lead to the a/c hooked up. So far MPG has improved about 1 mile per gallon but it's still too early to tell. This has not been a normal week or driving. Next week will be the better test.

Ted
Old 05-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

I will try to help throw some light on this situation. Forgive me for being a bit of a noob here, but the electric fan upgrade is something all Jeepers are VERY familar with (we are underpowered no matter what).

First things first. You dont have two radiators. The smaller one in front of the actual radiator is the condensor for the a/c. Though it functions in much the same way, it is technicaly not a radiator.

Now the straight poop. Electric fan size is not as important as air flow volume measured in cubic feet (though there is a strong corolation between the two). You want to flow xxxx cubic feet of air thru the radiator/condensor per minute. You also want to make sure you have two speeds in most cases, a low and high. In the case of my 2010 1500 4x4 (5.7L) it is 1800ft3 for low and 3200ft3 for high.

The low speed is primarily used when the a/c is used to keep a steady flow of air over the condensor when not at speed. This amount should be enough for the system to work without providing too much cooling. Why is this? Primarily because your engine is designed to operate most effeciently at a certain temperature, in my case 165-180*F. Cool too much and you drop below that.

The high speed is designed for when the engine(read as radiator) actually needs to be cooled. The larger volume is needed to cool the greater surface area effeciently and to overcome any heat soak from the a/c condensor (remeber, it is not a radiator though it functions similarly).

As most of you know, durning normal driving on a nice spring day the fan will not be running. The vehicle speed down the road will generally provide suffecient cooling to accomplish most task. But on hot days, when towing, or when sitting in traffic there is not suffecient vehicle speed to push the air thru the radiator. Hence the fan.

A munual/clutch fan is operated by the engine itself via the belt in most cases. This uses available power. Many are surprised how much power is actually needed to turn the fan at the speed necassary. In many cases it can be 10-15+ hp! This is power no longer going to the ground, in essence, making your engine less effecient. The point in switching to an electric fan is to draw the needed power for the fan from the alternator and/or battery vs. directly from the engine. Though the alternator still places a load on the engine and requires a significant amount of hp to turn, it is not nearly as much as the manual/clutch fan. The battery also provide a source of energy for high load usage keeping the alternator from overloading.

Reguardless of which electric fan you use, keep in mind these few requirements. Does the fan flow enough air for my application? Does the fan draw low enough amperage for my current wiring or should I upgrade? How do I want the fan to engage (thermostat or manual)?

Finnaly remeber that electric fans do not like to be submurged. Though not a huge problem in the truck world, we jeepers learned the hard way!

EDIT: This question almost always comes up. Push or pull? it is generally more effecient to pull air through the radiator than to push it through. There are applications where pushing is prefered, but generally not on a street driven vehicle.

Last edited by battlerattle; 05-06-2011 at 05:53 PM.