DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Rep:73
IN2H2O will become famous soon enough
Default Automatic Transmission Service Life Expectancy?

I am currently driving a 2002 QC 2wd with the 4.7 and Automatic transmission. I bought the truck 2.5 yrs ago with 120K miles on it and have since run it up to 250K Miles with a 150 mile a day commute plus frequent weekend excursions to Florida.

Lately I have been experiencing some minor glitches from the transmission and before I go and mess around with a bunch of little things, I thought I better ask what the life expectancy was on these in the first place? If there's only 50K Miles left in it at best, I'll just buy another tranny and be done with it but if I can spend a couple hundred to service some parts and get another 100-150K miles I will definately make the investment.

My goal is to get 400K miles out of this truck so I'm doing lots of preventative maintenance.

So the question is, how long do these transmission go for? I believe I have the 45RFE?
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2011, 12:08 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

let me say i am far from being an expert, in other words, i don't know much.
i believe that is the same trans they used in the 04 and up in the 2500 and 3500 trucks with the diesel and some guys i know have gotten over 200000 miles miles on them before they crapped out. i would think they would last longer on 1500 with the 4.7. the first thing i would do is have it flushed out. not the drain and fill, the flush changes all the fluid and really gets alot of junk out. if that doesn't change the way it is working i would have it checked out by a good tranny shop. also, i believe the torque converter is the weak spot on these, might want to check that also. i'm sure others who know much, much ,much more than i do will chime in also.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:28 AM

Well I guess the truck answered this question for me as it failed on the way home 2 nights ago. Disassembly showed that the oil pump had failed.

It is in the shop now getting a fully rebuilt tranny including brand new oil pump and solenoid assembly to the tune of $2300.

It will also be getting a larger oil cooler so it will handle pulling my 6x10 enclosed trailer at 80mpg down I95 in the hot Florida summers.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

guess my answer was way off, sorry, how much is a rebuild these days as my wife has th same trans with 150000 miles, no problems yet though. tks steve
Old 05-06-2011, 08:48 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

If your trans has not had regular flushes, or you are unsure if it has (i.e. bough it used), NEVER flush your transmission. ALWAYS drain and refill. I do mine (and filters) once a year. Cheap insurance. On older transmissions, it is often the case that the "junk" you speak of is all thats holding your bands/clutches together. I know, I have been in this game awhile. Seen alot of people have flushes and 5 days later, need a new transmission. I always advise against it to all of my friends/relatives. Its cheaper to do a simple drain/pan cleaning/filter change/refill once a year, than pay for a transmission 5, or even 10 years. It costs me $100 to change my trans fluid and filters.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 05-08-2011, 02:11 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:11
Gene K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
If your trans has not had regular flushes, or you are unsure if it has (i.e. bough it used), NEVER flush your transmission. ALWAYS drain and refill. I do mine (and filters) once a year. Cheap insurance. On older transmissions, it is often the case that the "junk" you speak of is all thats holding your bands/clutches together. I know, I have been in this game awhile. Seen alot of people have flushes and 5 days later, need a new transmission. I always advise against it to all of my friends/relatives. Its cheaper to do a simple drain/pan cleaning/filter change/refill once a year, than pay for a transmission 5, or even 10 years. It costs me $100 to change my trans fluid and filters.
i agree. With 250K with possibly no filter change I wonder is the pump could have died due to a stopped up filter?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 AM

I got more details when I picked up my truck. Actually my pump didn't fail, it was just worn too much to be rebuilt and needed to be replaced, something about scoring/wear in the housing? Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, I never fully trust what they tell me but my OCD is happy knowing that everything is new again.

What actually failed was the clutches in the TC and I think that was due to a TCC solenoid problem, (possibly due to contamination and old oil for sure). It had been throwing TCC codes for the last few months. They replaced the Solenoid pack as well and I upgraded to a beefier torque converter that will handle pulling my trailer a bit better. He saw no signs of overheating so we decided to stick with the stock oil cooler.

All said and done, my bill was $2458. The basic rebuild is usually around $1400-$1500 but The beefier TC was an extra $185, The Solenoid pack was something like $325 and the new pump was $250. My bill was not itemized so I suspect some padding in there too but it is what it is. Bottom line, I'm back on the road.

I bought the truck with 120K miles on it and had all the fluids, including the transmission, flushed and serviced the day I bought it. In the last 2 1/2 yrs I have put an additional 130K miles on it and not serviced the transmission at all so I guess I can't complain about the failure. I do not drive my truck hard and 90% of my miles are to/from work at 55mph on cruise control. I do oil changes every 3K miles which works out to be every 4-5 weeks. I installed a pan drain when I did my service and will be doing regular oil and filter changes every 30k from this point on.

I always get a kick out of the "flushing kills a transmission" comments though. We usually only start messing with our transmissions once they start acting up in the first place. In my case, it was already acting up before I serviced it so how can you say what caused what? Don't get me wrong, the service I performed changed my original symptoms slightly but brought about a couple new ones so it definately did have an effect. The point I want to make is that, if it is acting up enough to get your attention, it's already likely on it's way out, you just put it on the fast track. :biggrin:
Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
guess my answer was way off, sorry, how much is a rebuild these days as my wife has th same trans with 150000 miles, no problems yet though. tks steve
You actually weren't that far off at all.