DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram – 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Joseph W. is on a distinguished road
Default need help!

I've heard that dodge trannys have weaknesses, i think mine has one..
i have an 01 4X4 club cab 1500. it has the auto trans and the 5.9 gas engine. this truck has just under 94000 miles on it and i have all the records of maintenence. the trans has been flushed and filled every 30,000 miles, almost on the dot. sometimes it doesnt seem to want to shift right. from first to second it gets over 3,000rpms before shifting, and jerks in and out of gear sometimes. it also seems to be very quick to kickdown a gear when your going up a hill, other times it doesnt want to shift out of OD at all. yesterday i replaced the output speed sensor as this is the code it was giving me. i replaced it and had the code cleared, withing a 1/8th mile the light was back on, same code. i've heard the TPS can affect the trans, but i have no codes thrown for it. this truck has the off-road package and the PO put 33X12.50's on it. could this be affecting it? any help would be appreciated. Also, lets just say i leave the red light and gas it, it has a bit of a lazy launch, it creeps up to about 2000 rpms, then it feels like a powerband on a 2-stroke bike, what can be causing this? the tranny doesnt slip or anything and 80 percent of the time it shifts fine. Also, I'm getting roughly 14 mpg with this truck, it has the 33's and 4.10's... is that decent? i'm getting ready to tune this dude up, does Chrysler require platinum plugs or what? is a t.b. spacer and/or cold air intake help with the mileage, i'm also considering the hypertech e-con programmer, headers, and high flow cats, i alredy have a 3" single in/out 40-series flowmaster but the rest is stock. Does anyone know any cheap tricks for power and mileage? I know this is alot, but I also know that every vehicle has it's own secrets, and this is the perfect place to find them out!
thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:20
Paul89 is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me a dirty throttle body. You have three sensors on the TB and they could be bad or just dirty. The one you need to clean is the IAS (idle air solenoid). You’ll feel a big difference in performance in your engine. If this doesn't clear up transmission issue then you probably have a tranny getting ready to go out. These transmission are known for problems when you start getting up around 100 thousand. But I have read a few that do last longer. So start with the TB and go from there.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:18 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul89 View Post
Sounds to me a dirty throttle body. You have three sensors on the TB and they could be bad or just dirty. The one you need to clean is the IAS (idle air solenoid). You’ll feel a big difference in performance in your engine. If this doesn't clear up transmission issue then you probably have a tranny getting ready to go out. These transmission are known for problems when you start getting up around 100 thousand. But I have read a few that do last longer. So start with the TB and go from there.
Nice response, and what I was thinking too.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:20
bigjeff64 is on a distinguished road

i believe its not a tb issue but ur govenor and solenoid are goin bad. since dodge transmissions are electronically shifted hence the "E" in the trans code stands for electric the governor can be shorting or the solenoid can be send too high of a current. what your experiencing is those components are putting ur truck in first gear and wont shift till 3k rpm or higher or when u speak of the sluggish starts its launching in 2nd gear. I am currently goin this issue as we speak and the local tranny shops can reapair this and service the tranny for just under 300.00. if your a DIY and wanna takle the project on ur own u can find the parts on line and just know that u have to drop the tranny pan to get to these parts so a servicing is suggested