DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

nice mod bud!!!!1 clean install aswell
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Sponsored links
Old 05-04-2011, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:79
M n M will become famous soon enough

It was a 4 pack of lights, what to do with the other two???

Maybe a trip back to the parts store for a pressure switch so the LEDs turn on when I open the tailgate and help light up the bed.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:11 PM

Vehicle: 2009 QC 4wd
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:146
jc4041 will become famous soon enoughjc4041 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by M n M View Post
It was a 4 pack of lights, what to do with the other two???

Maybe a trip back to the parts store for a pressure switch so the LEDs turn on when I open the tailgate and help light up the bed.

OOOORRRRRRRR.....set them up to shine in the passengers eyes when they start talking smack!!....thought about doing that just for the teenager.....still very tempting
'07 Dodge Charger SRT8 SuperBee #579-CAI, DSP, dual Cherry Bomb Extremes
-Jeff
Old 06-04-2011, 09:58 PM

Default Round Two!

So I decided to use the other two lights to add some needed lighting to the back. I wanted the same effect as the front ones so after probing around with my multimeter and not finding a wire near the back that was hot only when the head lights came on, I remembered I had some extra wire on the shelf in the garage. Remember that I wanted the lights to come on when the dash lights did (Auto or with a turn of the knob) So I tied into the same wire that I used before and ran the wire under the passenger side dash, down the pillar then under the door trim to the back seat. Below are some pictures of where I put them. I tried to get some pictures of them at night while on but they are to dim to really show up well. But thats how I wanted them. I didn't want bright in your face lights. They seem to be placed just right to light up the floor and the center cup holder.

I just popped a couple of small holes in the underside seat cover, unhooked the plastic clamps on the seat cover so I could reach in and pull the wires down though. Spliced them to the wires I ran from the front and there ya go!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:59 PM

Can't attach pictures for some reason, sorry guys, I'll keep trying
Old 06-04-2011, 10:26 PM

Ok, so I guess I had an issue with my browser so I couldn't attach any photos. But here are what I took. Remember though, you'll have to take my word for it that it looks nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0129.jpg (120.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0130.jpg (124.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0131.jpg (93.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0132.jpg (124.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 06-04-2011, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2009 QC 4wd
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:146
jc4041 will become famous soon enoughjc4041 will become famous soon enough

man you keep giving me ideas....the single dome light has got to be the only thing I hate about our ST's...other than the bumpers I was thinking of just getting a replacement LED light for it, but seeing what you are doing, it might actually be better!!

rep points for that!
'07 Dodge Charger SRT8 SuperBee #579-CAI, DSP, dual Cherry Bomb Extremes
-Jeff
Old 06-05-2011, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Been wanting to get this one done for some time. I love my truck but could stand to have a bit more light inside. It gets very dark below the stereo and AC knobs. I've read many posts where LEDs were added and that seemed to be the answer. But I didn't want to have them powered all the time nor did I want to install a toggle switch. So I did some research and grabbed my multimeter. I was searching for a wire that was live only when the other dash lights came on. After a little playing I found one and as a bonus it also ties to the dimmer, so when the dash dimmer is turned the LEDs adjust as well.

I know, I know... Pictures and description! Since for the life of me I can't figure out how to insert a picture, so I'll attach them and give a description.

Pic 1: Before

Pic 2 & 3: After Removing the bezel and the cup holder piece I found a dead harness (it must be for a feature I don't have, it was just sitting in a recess). I found the 3rd wire (Orange & White) to suit my needs.

Pic 4 & 5: Picked a spot and drilled a couple of hole. There is a flat spot on the cup holder support plate that has an angle which will allow the light to shine down. Be careful here, I did some measuring and still almost fit a strength rib on the back. I put a dab of clear silicone to make sure they stay in place.

Pic 6: Since I didn't have a crimp coupling I decided to just strip the Orange and White wire and wrap the two LED Black and White wires around the Orange and White and tape it up good.

Pic 7: I did have some ground clips so I put both solid black wires from the LEDs into one clip and found a handy existing ground.

I tested it all again beforeIi reassembled the dash.

Pic 8 & 9: All put back together and turned it on!

Can't wait to see how it looks in the dead of the night.
Make sure you fuse it. I made a LED mod for my grille but I Have it connect to my ignition line with a switch so I can only turn it on with the key on and the switch on which I think it's a good thing cause I have a tendency to forget to turn stuff off from time to time. Especially when your distracted, but my mod I made using 64 LED's uses less then 4 Watts and draws under 500mA so it's not that bad.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:26 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
FireWire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Been wanting to get this one done for some time. I love my truck but could stand to have a bit more light inside. It gets very dark below the stereo and AC knobs. I've read many posts where LEDs were added and that seemed to be the answer. But I didn't want to have them powered all the time nor did I want to install a toggle switch. So I did some research and grabbed my multimeter. I was searching for a wire that was live only when the other dash lights came on. After a little playing I found one and as a bonus it also ties to the dimmer, so when the dash dimmer is turned the LEDs adjust as well.

I know, I know... Pictures and description! Since for the life of me I can't figure out how to insert a picture, so I'll attach them and give a description.

Pic 1: Before

Pic 2 & 3: After Removing the bezel and the cup holder piece I found a dead harness (it must be for a feature I don't have, it was just sitting in a recess). I found the 3rd wire (Orange & White) to suit my needs.

Pic 4 & 5: Picked a spot and drilled a couple of hole. There is a flat spot on the cup holder support plate that has an angle which will allow the light to shine down. Be careful here, I did some measuring and still almost fit a strength rib on the back. I put a dab of clear silicone to make sure they stay in place.

Pic 6: Since I didn't have a crimp coupling I decided to just strip the Orange and White wire and wrap the two LED Black and White wires around the Orange and White and tape it up good.

Pic 7: I did have some ground clips so I put both solid black wires from the LEDs into one clip and found a handy existing ground.

I tested it all again beforeIi reassembled the dash.

Pic 8 & 9: All put back together and turned it on!

Can't wait to see how it looks in the dead of the night.
Great idea,

Does anyone know if that unused harness is on the models with a centre console, instead of the fold down cupholder?

Jeff
Old 06-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Raven is on a distinguished road

Looks good man, im thinking about putting a single led at the bottom of each cup holder so where there is like a bottle of water in the holder it lights up :P