DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:38
shrek is on a distinguished road
Default Backup camera ?

I was thinking about buying a backup camera but had a few questions about them. First is can the angle of the camera be moved or is it fixed in one spot? And second is it hard to see at night i have my windows tinted 5% and was wondering if i could use this to help me back at night. Dont do alot of towing but having the camera would come in handy in dark places at night when trying not to run in to everything. Any advice out there.
Sponsored links
Old 05-04-2011, 11:42 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek View Post
I was thinking about buying a backup camera but had a few questions about them. First is can the angle of the camera be moved or is it fixed in one spot? And second is it hard to see at night i have my windows tinted 5% and was wondering if i could use this to help me back at night. Dont do alot of towing but having the camera would come in handy in dark places at night when trying not to run in to everything. Any advice out there.
My truck didn't come with one so I purchased an aftermarket system that is color in the day and has night vision so you can see at night. There are options for mounting the camera, but I picked one that mounts on top of the license plate, it's fully adjustable up or down.

The only downside to these is that you have to mount a monitor somewhere in the cab; I decided to purchase a small 3"x5" color monitor and put it on the dash right beside the roof pillar. Other than that it works great, and only cost $235!

I can post some pics if you're interested...
Old 05-04-2011, 05:18 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:38
shrek is on a distinguished road

i'm trying to stick with a factory unit so i can use my head unit thats already in my truck but if its not to much trouble i would like to see your set up maybe it might make me change my mind on buying an aftermarket camera.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:45 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek View Post
i'm trying to stick with a factory unit so i can use my head unit thats already in my truck but if its not to much trouble i would like to see your set up maybe it might make me change my mind on buying an aftermarket camera.
Here's a couple pics of the monitor and camera -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110504_163258.jpg (126.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110504_163426.jpg (69.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

the backup camera that is from Dodge is within the tailgate handle & it is set fit flush
the night vision is beautiful

on mine i didn't have a locking tailgate, just a plain latch
so i bought a handle with everything complete, it wasn't cheap

plain handle
[IMG]

the part that makes the lock work, replaces a part inside the tailgate
[IMG] this is the original part non locking --> [IMG]

it comes with a installation cd disc & the wiring harness
i just had the dealer install everything, for an extra price of course

the installed new handle with camera & key lock
[IMG]
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 05-04-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:52 PM

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: deep water blue
Rep:85
HEMILANCER will become famous soon enough

i bought a wireless backup camera from autozone for 69 bucks, it mounts to the liscense plate, u hook the reciever to the backup input on the trailer plug, and then i mounted the monitor above the rearview mirror and ran the wiresaround the windshield and plugged into the junction box. it is a clean install and nobody notices it's there unless i point it out. the camera is wide angle so there is no need for adjusting. i just wish it was that easy to have camera's on the 4 corners so i could parralell park without getting out the truck! Oh and no wires were cut or spliced into so i can easily remove if necessary.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

You can install an aftermarket one and add the Nav-TV Allgig unit to interface the camera to your factory head unit.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 05-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
LeKy411 will become famous soon enoughLeKy411 will become famous soon enough

If you have a touch screen radio, I would def spend the extra money and get the factory camera. As mentioned before it is a great camera with a good angle. Its easy to use at night. The best part is that it is so hidden most people don't notice it, it stays fairly clean, and won't get stolen or ripped off by some punk kid.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 MegaCab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
Deltamac is on a distinguished road

My Big Horn came with the installed camera. Quite honestly I don't know how I ever lived without it. It makes backing into spaces a breeze...not to mention hooking up a trailer (sans spotter). Believe me, you won't regret making the purchase.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

I have the RES radio in my 09 so to install a backup camera an aftermarket unit has to be the choice. However, does anyone know if the OEM camera that mounts in the handle will work with an aftermarket monitor? I don't see why it wouldn't but I wouldn't like to find out the hard way it didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstater View Post
The only downside to these is that you have to mount a monitor somewhere in the cab; I decided to purchase a small 3"x5" color monitor and put it on the dash right beside the roof pillar..
How do you like the monitor mounted there. I was thinking of the same idea but I wasn't sure if it would seem awkward?

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!