DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 3500
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:10
albow is on a distinguished road
Default Dome light won't go off.

Last year, my left click on light beside the info center broke and I couldn't turn it off. I taped over it and it eventually burned out. Now my right light has broken and the dome light is staying on with it. I have managed to get the bulb out of the right light, but not the dome. How do I either get the dome light out or what fuse do I need to pull to deactivate it. If I pull said fuse, will it cut something else off also? How expensive and/or difficult is it to fix the lights next to the info center?
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2011, 03:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Jeep GC WK
Rep:964
hemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to behold

when i broke one of the map lights in my 97 i had to replace the entire assembly. i bought it used and replaced it myself it was about 30 on eBay but that is a much older truck. how did you break it? mine just cracked. another thing is your dimmer switch in the furthest position because that would turn these lights on.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:50 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Your instrument cluster is pouched.
You will continue to have all kinds of issues show up, until it quits all together, so you may want to consider finding a replacement.

Dome Light Fuse - #17 (15amp)
Also powers - Stop light at back of cab, Overhead reading lamps and glove box light, Fuel pump module, Compass/mini trip computer, Driver door module (power windows/locks).

Good Luck.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 05-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Pouched? Meaning it's an all in one thing and part of it can't be replaced? It's just the doggone springs on those push lights on it that are torn up. I definitely don't want to pull that fuse with all the things you listed running through it. I guess I can put black electrical tape over the dome light until it burns out.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty accurate description.
It is a relatively common problem....from a service department point of view. Doesn't mean all of them end up with that problem, but is a common part to replace.
The springs for the bulb contact is not the issue for the lights that stay on, that's the lamp driver for that lamp in the instrument cluster.
Rather than black taping the light, why not just remove the bulb?
Either way, eventually you will likely have to replace the cluster. Check the auto wrecker places for a used one. There have been a few members that have been successful with that. Not sure if a trip to the dealer is required to flash it for your truck....maybe someone that has done this will chime in and advise.

BTW - Have you done a full power reset....take the battery cable off for half an hour or longer? This can sometimes help....sometimes not.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 05-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I can't figure out how to remove the bulb. Any instructions out there?
Old 05-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Never mind on the instructions. Got it open, but didn't take it out. Waiting to see if the hard reset works.