DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-03-2011, 03:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram Daytona
Trim Level: Daytona
Color: Mango
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
silverd is on a distinguished road
Default Leveling 2005 Quadcab 1500 2wd Hemi

Hello all. I am trying to decide on how to Level my 2005 QuadCab 1500 2wd Hemi Daytona. I am trying to decide between a CST Suspension 3" Lift Coil which they say is not designed for the Hemi, and a Spacer. I would like to go with Bilstein shocks, since I hear they really make a difference over stock. Even stock would be a huge improvement.

I'll start with a little background. The truck was a theft recovery, and when I got it (cheap $8K w/63k miles), it had the wrong wheels (17"), and a lowering kit. I don't want it lowered anymore. No offense to those people with lowered trucks, I like the look, but driveabilty it doesn't work for me. It bangs on every bump, and my wife doesn't like the feel of the ride. Note: She drives an 04 Durango, so the 05 Ram shouldn't be too different. The way they lowered it is by changing the Coil Springs, and a Flip Kit in the back. I believe it still has the stock shocks. Right now there is only 3 1/4" (front) and 3 3/4" (back) clearance from the top of the tire to the inside top of the wheel well (basically level). I like the level look. I just got a set of 22" SRT-10 Wheels w/brand new Nexen 305/45/R22 Tires to put on it when I am done with the suspension.

I am leaning towards a leveling/lift Coil Spring, because I have to change the Coil Spring anyway. I suggesting the CST because I may be able to get one cheap. I am open to other Lift Coils though. Part of me thinks if I go with a spacer and a stock shock with or without a shock extension, I can always convert it back to stock if I choose to.

I'll break my first set of questions into 4 groupings, for all these please let me know how you like the ride mainly for street use (approx 95% of the time). I do want to tow and haul a little, but I believe I can always use air helper bags for that later.

1) I would like to know if anyone is usng the CST Suspension (CSC-D3-2)? If so what shocks, do you have the Hemi, and how is the ride?

2) Using CST w/Bilsteins. If they are, did they use the stock ones (24-069274), shock extensions, or the ones for the 2500/3500 (F4-BE5-C603-HO / 24-186063)?

3) If you are not using the CST Suspension, but are using the Bilsteins with a Coil Spacer, please let me know how you did it, and how it rides? Please tell me the size of the spacer/company, and which Bilstein shock you went with. If it is the Bilstein for the 1500, did you use a shock extension? If shock extensions what size, brand, and where did you get it?

4) Not using CST or Bilstein. Please let me know what you did and if you like it.

Next I was wondering if anyone has the Specs on the two Bilstein shocks I mentioned above? I've searched the Internet and can't seem to find specs for them (extended and compressed lengths).

Also, I would like to get recommendations on Rear Air Helper Bags for hauling and towing. Please let me know your thoughts/recommendation, and what you've been using them for?

Lastly, If anyone is interested in my used lowering kit, let me know if it is before I do the swap, and you live in Los Angeles, maybe we can swap springs.

Thank you for taking the time to read this & hopefully responding.
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, I don't have an answer so, it's time to .................... this back to the top!