DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'm guessing it's like someone else posted, a bushing is tweaked from jacking it up so high, I'd loosed all the bushing in the rear and retorque them. Next thing I'd try is the springs rubbing where they are seated...good luck. Otherwise, any other opinions on the kit? Would you in fact do it again?

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:249
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

yeah I'd prob still buy it again. I'm just getting irritated with this sound I can't locate. I'm sure I'd write a more exciting review if it wasn't driving me nuts.

I'm going to get someone else to look. A fresh set of eyes might catch what I'm missing. I might break the torq and retorq the control arms but it looks like a real pain in the but. The rear bolts of all 4 arms are kind of hard to get to where I would be able to put 225 ft-lbs on them. there's just no consistancy to the noise.

Stage 2 is underway
Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Have you tried contacting otto-max, maybe tell them this happened right after the install...and get their tech guys working on it, and theyll come up with the answer?

Old 05-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

Another "to do" for tomorrow. I started to the other day from work but it was too early in the morning. Called SDtrucksprings and they couldn't help. Ottomax is West coast and after a couple hours at work I just plain forgot. See what I mean...I'm so focused that I'm forgetting the logical things first.

Stage 2 is underway
Old 05-24-2011, 10:12 PM

lol, you'll get it figured out, they seemed like good people when I talked with them. Then after you do get it figured out, we all can learn from you're experience, isn't it fun being the guinea pig!? lol

Old 05-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

went back to the stock shocks and problem solved!! I've been in contact with Randy and I'm trying to get as much info as I can collect for him so we can figure this out. His Dodge contact told him the crewcab trucks ALL have the same rear spings but when I pulled my stock springs they have different part numbers (driver vs passenger side). So I would like to see how much the 2wd and 4wd vary with regards to ride height. He said they measured the 4wds at 39". I told him when I started mine sat at 38" to 38 1/4".

can you guys help me out? if you could measure from the ground up the wheel center to the bottom of your wheel-well and state year and if you are 2wd or 4wd.

example:

my truck is a 2wd, 2009, 20" wheels and measures 37" driver side and 37 3/8" passenger side now with the Otto-max springs.

I took some pics for him and collected all the part numbers I could. So lastly, I like to give him some 2wd vs 4wd ride stock ride height data. Thanks!

Stage 2 is underway

Last edited by CHVYKLR; 05-25-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:34 PM

hmmm glad you found your answer, do you know specifically what it is with the shocks though? or is that what he's looking into? I can't verify right now but will tomorrow evening(I have my truck loaded down right now)....but going from memory I want to say I measured the driver rear at 38 to 38 1/8, and driver front at 35....will verify tomorrow. I am quad cab, aftermarket tires, but stock size(265 70 17).

Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Randy told me that I might have to "shim" the shocks. well the kit shocks aren't the same width as the stockers at the eyelets. I tried using a washer on each side but there was still maybe a 1/16" or so gap. Torq'ing the bolts down wouldn't squeeze the gap closed. Installing them I never thought that the little space would cause such a problem.

Stage 2 is underway
Old 05-25-2011, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: deep water blue
Rep:85
HEMILANCER will become famous soon enough

u need to put multiple washers and make sure to lube up the bushings real good. i'm glad you didn't fight through all those link arm bolts to find out that wasn't it.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I'm just going to run the stock shocks since I only ended up with 1" drop. The kit shocks measured 2 3/4" shorter than the stock shocks too...would've been pretty good with a 2" drop. Randy said all the testing was done on a 4wd and the kit dropped it down drom 39" to 37". Maybe the 2wds sit lower. Like I said Randy didn't think so b/c his Dodgle contact told him all crewcab rear coils were the same.

either way I'll sleep good tonight now that I know it's not squeeking

Stage 2 is underway