DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-07-2011, 06:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 1500 Crew Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Austin Tan
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
bcdmahn is on a distinguished road
Default Question about upgrades...

Howdy all,

I've been trolling the forums for the past couple days but actually have some questions now that I've commmited to buying the truck. (previous bowtie/duramax guy so gimme some slack), not to mention about 10 rum/cokes in me

I'm in the middle of purchasing a 2009 Crew Cab 1500 Laramie and have a couple questions that I'm sure have been beat to death here.

I'll be commuting 40 miles each way daily and will be looking for worthwhile MPG improvements. So here's my questions....

1. Stock Exhaust = Keep it? or swap out with a flowmaster, or better ?
2. Bullychip, if I take the truck in for service will then know I had a bullychip on it?
3. I had a K&I on my Duramax and Avalanche......but I saw some positive posts on AIRANT?
4. Ram forced air hood, I saw a hood on mopar that has channels the air to force clean COLD air to the intake.....anyone notice any difference? It's like $900 so if there's no real big improvement then I'll save the cash.
5. Fender flares, anyone got a good source/link?
6. I saw the mod for the roof clearance lights, I've always liked those but this truck has the sunroof option, still doable?

I'll post pics once truck is in hand, she's a beauty thou for sure.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Sponsored links
Old 05-07-2011, 06:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:27
TxPride911 is on a distinguished road

My input on exhaust...after wasting several hundreds on flowmasters for my dodges I finally went straight piped...much louder, less money, and wayyyy better sound! It sounds like a Dodge Viper rather than a Ram.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I'm not an expert, they'll show up eventually

I would say that you shouldn't expect to see much if any improvement in MPG with any bolt on mods. You might see 1-2, but I seriously doubt it. It's been my experience when a CAI and/or exhaust is added any benefits/ improvements in MPG are negated by the fact that you can't keep you foot out of the throttle.

I'm not familiar with the "bully chips" but with most programmers you'll need to return it to stock if you bring it in to the dealer. From what I understand this isn't too difficult, but it is a bit of a PITA and will take a few minutes. I don't know that you'll see any improvement in MPG with a programmer, but you should see some performance advantages.

good luck and watch out for that mod bug.. once it bites it tends to keep biting and you buy more and more items for you truck. Just check out the lists of mods that we all have....

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 05-07-2011, 01:40 PM
erm

With respects to the exhaust and CAI, there are a lot of choices out there. What you want to do is to increase the air in (CAI) and air out (exhaust). You don't need to replace the entire exhaust system. A freer flowing muffler should be sufficient.

I like the Volant and AFE intakes. The AirRaid systems are pretty good quality and there are a lot of open cone filter type systems out there to look at. Just beware of the cheapy eBay filters that can come apart and get sucked into the engine.

Yes, they can tell you have a chip or programmer on your truck if it's still on when you take it in and they have to scan your PCM. There are programmers that don't leave a ghost image behind. A lot of owners have a programmer installed and return their vehicle to stock before they take their vehicle in for service. I have two HEMI powered vehicles and use the DiabloSport Predator programmer on both. I like the tuning options and the results I have realized with this tool.

The forced air hood is probably more hype than anything. The area of the air inlet is a low pressure area so not real effective. However, you can't discount the Cool Factor of a working Ram air hood!!!

Depending on what flares you are looking at, if they are Bushwacker, the last time I looked, Amazon had the best price for the model I was researching. There are a lot of sites selling flares. As always, you get what you pay for so be careful and don't go cheap!

Sorry, I don't know if the clearance lights are doable or not. My only thought there is that since the glass goes backwards into the roof cavity the front end of the roof should be pretty open. But I'm probably wrong...
Old 05-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 1500 Crew Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Austin Tan
bcdmahn is on a distinguished road

Appreciate all the information gang, I'm still lurking and watching to swap/sell forums. I'll post some pics as soon as I pick this puppy up.....
Old 05-08-2011, 01:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram CC Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
rick980 is on a distinguished road

Realistically buying a full size pickup is not an effective method of saving gas, no matter what brand. Just doesn't seem to make sense, but if you need a pickup get the Ram, buy an extended warranty if you can still, worth the money.