DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 DODGE RAM
Trim Level: QC SLT 2WD
Color: Almond Pearl, Blacked Out
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:65
RAMING IT will become famous soon enough
Exclamation XTRA POWER MOD moved IAC sensor from Manifold to Intake tube

Hey everyone I've been reading some post that recommend moving your IAC sensor from the intake manifold to the intake tube. The IAC sensor works by sending info to your pcm which adjusts the fuel/air mix, by relocating the sensor from the hot intake manifold (warmer air) to your intake tube (cooler air entering from outside) the IAC would read the temp. of the cooler air causing the PCM to adjust the F/A mix accordinly giving you a bit more power off the line.
Yesterday, while in homedepot buying parts for my home grown ram air mod. I passed by the plumbing section and bought a 1/4" pipe plug. When I reached the parking lot I couldnt wait to get home so I popped the hood, disconnected the IAC sensor, unscrewed the IAC sensor from the intake manifold, bolted in the 1/4 " plug where the IAC sensor was, cleaned the IAC sensor, using a universal bit I drilled a hole on the side of my air filter box (above the filter) to srew in the IAC sensor man did it screw in nice and tight. I doubled checked the sensor passed thru the filter box undamaged and clean. I made sure the side of the sensor that reads was fully exposed so it could properly read the temp. I then snapped in the filter box cover, connected the IAC sensor and reset the computer. As you can see I didnt extend the wires they reached without strecthing to much...Iill be extending them when I get home where I left the wire and electrical tape

Im not sure if I put it to close to the filter but Im thinking the further away from heat the better right???

Old 05-08-2011, 04:02 PM
erm

Yep...it would be better to keep it away from the heat if at all possible.

What this does is improve your throttle response, making the truck more responsive to pedal inputs and feel more powerful.

I've done this to several vehicles. If ya pick the right spot it works very well.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Yellow
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
toddrod will become famous soon enough

That's definately a tried, tested, and true mod. Good job, but your avatar confused me, I thought you had a 14x3 air hat set-up? Hahaha.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 PM

Default Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrod View Post
That's definately a tried, tested, and true mod. Good job, but your avatar confused me, I thought you had a 14x3 air hat set-up? Hahaha.
Good observation TODDROD! Thats an old avatar pic. I had installed it a few weeks ago after following the 14x3 thread but felt a slight drop in mpg's, a slight gain in performance and a tremendous gain in "vaccum" db's haha.. I just wasent feeling it. But it looks so damn cool.. so I made an executive decision and kept the avatar.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:46 PM

Post Positioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Yep...it would be better to keep it away from the heat if at all possible.

What this does is improve your throttle response, making the truck more responsive to pedal inputs and feel more powerful.

I've done this to several vehicles. If ya pick the right spot it works very well.
Ima pick your brain a bit Micheal if you dont mind. Since you've done this mod several times, where would you of put this sensor on a 5.9? Also, would it be illadvised to place it before the filter... for example a ram air tube? I would think the readings would be outrageously colder and do more damage than good. Im ready to be schooled
Old 05-09-2011, 08:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Yellow
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
toddrod will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMING IT View Post
Good observation TODDROD! Thats an old avatar pic. I had installed it a few weeks ago after following the 14x3 thread but felt a slight drop in mpg's, a slight gain in performance and a tremendous gain in "vaccum" db's haha.. I just wasent feeling it. But it looks so damn cool.. so I made an executive decision and kept the avatar.
Really, a slight drop in mpg's? I'm changing my short air intake to a 14x3. I guess I'll find out for myself. Where do you think would be the best place for me to relocate the iac with a 14x3 air filter? Any ideas?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrod View Post
Really, a slight drop in mpg's? I'm changing my short air intake to a 14x3. I guess I'll find out for myself. Where do you think would be the best place for me to relocate the iac with a 14x3 air filter? Any ideas?
That was my experience with it but honestly I didnt leave it in that long at all and when I did use it i was driving mostly on an incline so i would of probably lost mpg's regardless. IAC i wouldnt know were to place it Im guessing on the bottom plate were the filter sits would be a good idea i think.