DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
littlebugpaint is on a distinguished road

That's exactly what I'm worried about Brad. I looked for the long slits down the sides like Razorbass was talking about and it looks like the spray in bedliner has sealed them up so that just leaves two tiny slits in the front that are easily clogged by hay and debris. Since the bedliner came with the truck, should I take it to them to have them "fix" it? and what would that entail...drilling holes in the bed? yikes!!! Not sure what to do about it, but definitely a problem with all the water constantly in it.
Sponsored links
Old 05-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

The easy answer is a bed cover but since you are driving a 3500 dually, I have to assume that is a work/farm vehicle and would guess a cover is out of the question. So, taking it back to your dealer and showing them the problem might be the first step. See if they have other 3500 trucks on the lot with bedliners and compare yours to theirs.

I would find it hard to believe this has not happened before so they may have a solution for you. If they do have a way to "cut" the slits back in, I would ask for something in writing that says you are covered against future rusting issues unless that comes as part of your standard warranty.

Hope it works out for ya. Keep us posted on the results as inevitably someone else on this forum will have the same issue one day.
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Old 05-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

My apologies for not noticing this is a brand new truck.

Take it to the dealer. Their body shop likely has a solution for this; but make sure they are aware of your concerns of premature rusting should the 'cure' result in damage to the paint/primer on the box metal at the worked on area.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 05-14-2011, 12:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i just used a drill bit & opened the holes back to stock size & gave it a shot of black primer
i would think that drilling them back out & giving them a shot of undercoating would take care of rust
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I'm gonna go in a completely different direction here.....

I would look underneath the truck... check the corners of the bed up near the cab on either side... see if there are already holes there for where the bed is designed to drain when it has no bedliner.... if there is I'd use a small drill bit to make a hole in the liner material (going from the bottom) in the center of the factory drain hole... then once the small hole marks the spot... enlarge the hole to about a 3/8" hole (go slightly smaller than the factory hole).

This is what I did on a former truck after getting a Rhino Liner installed. The drain holes were not large enough to handle drainage. Once I drilled 'em out I had no issues. If you don't have the factory drain holes let the dealer deal with the problem

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 05-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
littlebugpaint is on a distinguished road

Thanks Excoastie, that sounds like a good idea. I will check underneath and see if there are adequate holes there. What type of drill bit would work best and what size do you think? If I can't figure it out, I think I will take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it, but definitely get something in writing about the rust problem. Razorbass, you are right, it is a farm truck, so a cover won't work. I also haul hay around and with standing water even leaking from my cooler, it makes a huge mess, not to mention ruins the hay for the horses.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:39 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Bettis is on a distinguished road
Question

I know this thread is old but I'm bringing it back rather then start a new one on the same topic.

Anyways, here goes ... I'm looking at the front of the bed to run my drain lines and all I see is a hole up towards the bed rail. When I look down by the tie down hook it looks like the hole is covered by the spray-in liner.

My question, is it cool to drill through ? or is the higher location just as good ?

It seems I can't find the hole
Old 12-31-2011, 12:41 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettis View Post
I know this thread is old but I'm bringing it back rather then start a new one on the same topic.

Anyways, here goes ... I'm looking at the front of the bed to run my drain lines and all I see is a hole up towards the bed rail. When I look down by the tie down hook it looks like the hole is covered by the spray-in liner.

My question, is it cool to drill through ? or is the higher location just as good ?

It seems I can't find the hole
Drain tubes for a cover? As long as you can get them into the upper holes without kinking them, I'd go there. You may need to add a couple of fittings (right angle) to make the bend but I think you'll like the result better than drilling through your new bed and nice clean bedliner.