DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-07-2011, 01:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 dodge ram 1500mag 5.9 4x4
Color: RED.
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Reverend Son is on a distinguished road
Default Misfiring #3 cylinder...maybe...

My engine light comes on, and after a while it'll turn off again.
Took it to my local shop, and apparently I'm having multiple cylinders misfiring at random. I had the connections, and casing replaced, the engine light went away for a few weeks, now It's doin it again. I was wondering if any of you fellow MOPAR guys, or gals, can help me figure the possible problem, and a cost to fix said problem.
My truck being sick, is on par with one of my kids being sick.

Much appreciated ya'll,
Rev. Son
Sponsored links
Old 05-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Son View Post
My engine light comes on, and after a while it'll turn off again.
Took it to my local shop, and apparently I'm having multiple cylinders misfiring at random. I had the connections, and casing replaced, the engine light went away for a few weeks, now It's doin it again. I was wondering if any of you fellow MOPAR guys, or gals, can help me figure the possible problem, and a cost to fix said problem.
My truck being sick, is on par with one of my kids being sick.

Much appreciated ya'll,
Rev. Son
You could have a load of different things that can cause this, can be pickup coil, could be a bad ECM (sounds like bad ECM) can have bad fuel injectors (so put some valvoline fuel injector cleaner in) can be that you have corroded contacts on your distributor.

But again some things far fetch so for you I would check into buying another ECM, you can go on ebay and pickup one for a few bucks (50) and even if this is not the issue it is good to keep a spare in the truck.

If it's not the ECM check for any bad spark plug fouling also check the gap always check gap on spark plugs very important (not all are what they say they are, pre gapped)... put some fuel injector cleaner in every 1000-3000 miles. valvoline makes a great fuel injector product that is used every 3000 miles.

but really I think your ECM is going, you can have a bad ECM and not even know it. (Happen to me)

If none of this resolves anything please come back and I will help diagnose it future.

If you want to be sure the ECM is bad take it to a dodge dealership they will tell ya from the start.