DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
sledman800 is on a distinguished road

You maybe on to something about my fan clutch, you say this is a common problem with them?
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledman800 View Post
You maybe on to something about my fan clutch, you say this is a common problem with them?
You should beable to hear it the first start of the day, like described it comes to life when your truck starts and then it slowly spins down, very noticeable roar on mine for the first start or when your truck has had a chance to cool right off.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftfahrer View Post
I tow a trailer weighing about 4500 lbs and live in a mountainous region. I will have to use it this way starting next month (summer season) and am afraid it may overheat. Today I did a test drive with the trailer, driving for about half an hour at normal speeds (no highway!) with several uphill parts of the road. The engine temperature went up to about 205F, while the transmission temp went up to about 185F (normally mine is around 130F for regular use). But this was a short drive.

So my question is: will it stay that way (meaning it gets to that level and then it stays stable) or will it climb much more, for a 3-4 hours journey? I will drive such a journey in a few weeks.

My truck is a 2010 model 1500 Laramie with 3.92 axle ratio. Don't know about any heavy duty package, but it has trailer brake control and receiver hitch. I don't recall there being any special tow package, but I might be dead wrong, since I am in Europe, and not all options might be available here for import.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks
From what you describe, that sounds perfectly normal, 205 water temp is what your factory thermostat is set at, 130 transmission is normal when not pulling anything and 185 when pulling is also perfectly normal, you have the optimal gears for pulling, if your truck came with a factory brake controller and a receiver, very good chance you have the heavy duty radiator for the engine and the heavy-duty tranny cooler. I pulled my travel trailer home for the first time and had to deal with heavy winds, my trailer weighed in at 4800 pounds, it was a 4 hour drive and the transmission never went higher than 183 degrees. The engine ran at or near 205 the whole trip.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 quad cab
Kakdiesel1 is on a distinguished road
Default Trans and Engine Oil gets hot in Mountanous Hot Climates

Hey guys, thought this post might help some. We just drove our 2010 Ram 1500 QCab SLT from PA to Coronado California with a loaded 16'x7' Cargo Trailer. Near the Vehicles MGW I am sure. It has 3.55 gear and Heavy Duty All. It took us almost 2 days non stop in Tow/Haul mode. Averaged about 10MPG which is about half we have gotten on a long trip on the HWY with nothing attached.

Most of the trip ran smooth, it does feel like there is something heavy attached. It bounces a lot and tugs and you do have to double your anticipated stopping distance. We averaged 65MPH and when there was any type of grade the engine would Rev, sometimes over 4K. I had to back down the cruise control so the engine would calm down and once level ground or down hill, increase speed with the cruise slight + bumps to keep the RPM's down.

The stress on the Vehicle began through the hilly portion of western PA and the transmission would reach about 240deg and the ENG would be right behind it. I was constantly watching temps. Then, as we got out of PA all temps were fine and for long stretches we could get to 70MPH through the flat lands. When we got into Oklahoma and into Arizona, you could really start to notice the weight. The Eng and trans would get very hot and in most of the hills I would have to back down to the 45 MPH area. Every down grade I would have to increase speed so I wouldn't have to back down as much up hill. If the RPM went over 2000 you could watch the temps go up very quickly. BTW, we were in Arizona by early morning and the temps only reached the 80's.

Not a big deal, no problems until we got on I8 in the Desert and there was a extremely long stretch of + Grade. Coolant got to the 230's, engine in the 240's and Trans 240's as well. All while watching very carefully the RPM and Oils/Coolant. There times I had to go 35MPH so the temps wouldn't spike. it was over 108 Deg outside air temp and the Coolers could not keep up. Going slowly was key. I was worried about the temps spiking because they Rose very quickly. By the time we got to the base of the mountain the Trans temp would not stop rising and I was down to 35MPH, blinkers on and not even at the base of the mountain. I decided to turn around from the 6800' Mountain out of El Centro Ca. I wasn't about to risk breaking down with a trailer on the mountain.

We turned around and stopped at Dodge in Imperial Ca just to pick their brain about these temps. They stated people run these vehicles all the time in the desert hotter than that with heavier loads and I SHOULDNT have a problem. Maybe I didnt but, I didn't want to over work the Truck and it did very well up until the High Heat of the desert. I am a pilot so I constantly watch Temps and Limits and at that heat and altitude the temps would have spiked over 250 easily.

So, we got a room at the Imperial Airport where my Aircraft is and waited till 530 AM. At this point it was 74 Deg and as we got to the base of the mountain, it got to 88 deg. Trans Temps were all cooled down and got to 230 Deg by the base of the mountain. As we got higher the temps went down by keeping it at 45-55 MPH and watching the RPM's. 56 Deg at the top of the mountain. About mid Mountain the temps were normal and I was passing trucks up hill. Smooth sailing at that point.

Before we left we had the Trans and Engine Oil services. Engine with Mobil 1 Synth and Mopar for the trans. The Radiator needed some water by California and I picked up Some Over Priced MOPAR Organic Anti Freeze in Imperial Ca when we turned around.

So, those of you wanting to know about towing cross country there it is. Try to time your Drives at night in hot environments. I am extremely impressed by this truck I have never had one single problem with it since we bought it and if you take care of it, watch temps etc this truck can do anything within your MGW. The Cruise Control worked awesome and probably used the gas pedal 10% of the time.

Trailer empty was 3500 lbs. and we had a Brake controller put on and a 3" drop Hitch I believe. When the trailer was loaded I believe the 3" Drop was too low. We bottomed out a few places and the back end of the truck was pretty low from the Tongue weight. As well as the tires. I increased the Rear tire pressure to 41lbs before we left and they still looked low to include the trailer wheels. The truck and trailer was more of a V shape than straight. Anticipate your load and maybe go with a standard Hitch drop. Airbags would have been helpful but, who wants to spend money on that for 1 trip. I believe anything bigger than what we had would have been a lot of stress on the truck that far of a distance. The power this truck has is incredible but not in the mountains. its your truck so beat it up as you like but, it will not react like you think it could. Here are some picks. This is how your gauges will look in the mountains 6% grade if your careful.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:30 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
RainmanX is on a distinguished road

Did any of the warnings lights or messages indicate it was overheating? Otherwise it's completely capable of handling the temperatures.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:13 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Oudoorsman
Color: White
Rep:39
Outdoorsman2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledman800 View Post
I have a 2010 1500 with 3.92 gears, i towed my 28' travel trailer and loaded it weighs about 7700 lbs, any time i hit the hills the engine temp would climb (250) along with the engine oil temp (250), the trans temp would be fine though. the ambient air temp was around 80, i checked the coolant level and all was good. I am just surprised at how easily the engine temp would climb as i had a 2006 ram that never even came close to heating up. i use the manual console shifter and kept the trans. in 4th gear has anyone else have something similar while towing?
I have approx same set up with a 12 ram and a 29.5 foot camper weighs 6600 dry so I guess right around 7600 loaded. I just wrote up a review of my towing experience which highlighted my areas of concern. It's called travel trailer towing review, sorry can't make a clicky as I'm typing on phone.

My oil temp ram most of the trip there at 222-5 and on the way back was 228. The way back it was about 90 and little windy though. My coolant temp got to 215 once but quickly cooled once reaching the top of the hill. Does you coolant cool down quickly or stay at 250.

My oil temp never cools which worries me. I just purchased and engine oil cooler and should be installing it this weekend if the weather holds. I am not running synthetic oil yet but will be switching to it when I install the engine oil cooler.

I've read that the hottest you want to get conventional oil to is 240 and synthetic to 260. You may want to look into this especially if your running conventional.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:19 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:657
huntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to behold

great write up kakdiesel, do you have any heavy duty cooling equip on truck, factory or aftermarket ? if not would it help? tks.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:32
2010x3.92 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2 wheel drive 10 hemi QC with the 3.92 ratio. My boat loaded weighs about 4000lbs. Mostly flat here in Indiana. Running 70-75 mph in 80 to 90 degree weather the truck runs 204 on the dot if it's cool or hot out. Trans temp has never been over 160 (but I could see how it could climb quickly if it were changing gears frequently). Oil has seen 210. Since I have all these readouts now I watch them way closer than I have in any other truck.

I haven't had the chance to work the truck that hard yet. When I pull my 16x6 enclosed v nose that thing is like a sail. I could see how one of those trailers loaded in mountains and extreme heat might over heat the truck.

Pulling the same boat home from Florida 7 years ago(in my younger days!). We punished my 99 R/T Dakota on that trip home. Mountains, 80+mph, and 100+ temps the coolant in that old truck never once went over 215 the entire trip. I have figured out with that truck and my car it's basically impossible to kill a Chrysler 360. During the trip the cruise control did a lot of 4000rpm WOT hill pulls and stayed cool.

That being said I don't see a reason why the new cooling system and I assume better coolant flow/paths in the new Hemi can't keep up with loads that are far under the rated towing capacity even in the heat. The 99 r/t trucks didn't even have a piggy back electric fan just the good old clutch fan.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
jnsmith08 is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to add my recent experience.
2010 ram quad cab with 3.55 gears. 75000 miles

Last December the exhaust manifold bolts snapped and long story short the dealership had to pull the passenger head and have the bolts drilled here at a local machine shop. I have been worried about this for the last few months and two weeks ago I put it to the test. I loaded up a 20' flat with our furniture as we are in the process of moving. In 100 degree temps here in Texas on a two hour drive
Coolant: 225
Oil: 235
Tranny:185
I thought the coolant and oil were high. I called the dealership and they reassured me they were normal. I am still a little bit worried about it so I am thinking about replacing the stat with a 180 degree.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 quad cab
Kakdiesel1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
great write up kakdiesel, do you have any heavy duty cooling equip on truck, factory or aftermarket ? if not would it help? tks.
Sorry so Late, never got an email indication. Yes, it has a Factory Heavy duty Trans cooler and the Heavy duty Shocks got a work out. Might want to add a secondary Cooler to the trans if you plan on doing this type of long heavy towing at MGW. I included my options so anyone can compare and you will get the same results with the type of mission I did.

DODGE RAM SLT 4X4 1500 QUAD CAB PICKUP
Model Year 2010
Body Model DS 6 H 41
Color PR4- Flame Red Clear Coat
Engine EZH- 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine
Transmission DGQ- 5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission

*CJ Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats
-DV Dark Slate Gray
ADAP Light Group
AGGP Sport Group
ANF Premium Group
APAS Monotone Paint