DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default Bed rail caps and spray liners

I'm revisiting this issue as I'd like to spray over the rail. I found a place that says they've taped the holes left behind and when they spray over it looks fine. My issue is I haven't seen what's under the rail and don't know if it is actually a smooth rail just with holes like I'm assuming. Also the tailgate cap is an issue, I've been able to peek under the corner of it and noticed it is a very uneven surface from the end of the gate to the center....anyone have any pictures without the rail protectors to help me out? What about the tailgate? Thanks

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 05-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i talked to the Line-x people that shot my bed, under the rails on the sides & tailgate, it is VERY uneven & has a lot of holes. look or feel under the inside lip of the rail
i think it is that way to mount pipe racks, shells, & campers. the same bed that is on the 1500 models is used on the 2500 & 3500 beds that have full slide in campers

Back when i bought my Ram, no one had started making after market parts yet
Now you can buy almost any part from aftermarket companies.

Metal bed rail caps can be purchased, in aluminum & steel, also in smooth or diamond plate.... these can be shot with spray in products like Line-x, so you can get the Over the Rail look that i have always liked
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 05-13-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:06 PM
erm

That's a great idea ^^^ !!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 02:09 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I understand I can buy aftermarket, but that's even more money, and I want a watertight seal with the cover. If it is just holes under the bed rails, I don't think this will be an issue, as it can be taped and shot over, but I just need to see it myself to know if it'd work. Some people see any holes and say it can't be done, some see some holes and say it can, so it's hard to go off what they told you (and me). The tailgate does seem to be a problem though, but if I can get the rest done I can live with the stock tailgate cap.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:11 PM
erm

I'm pretty sure a good lining shop can deal with the holes easily enough.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:18 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
I'm pretty sure a good lining shop can deal with the holes easily enough.
I agree, and yes there are an assortment of holes and in assorted sizes.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:22 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram R/T
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:59
Mate2011RT will become famous soon enough

Here ya go - hope it is clear enough to help:

Last edited by Mate2011RT; 05-13-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Pic was tooooo tiny
Old 05-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i guess that all those raised & lowered areas are to add strength
the holes themselves can be taped over & sprayed
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-14-2011, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the picture! That's exactly what I was looking for.... I really wish it wasn't designed this way...