DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

I love hearing the enigine in front instead of the exhaust note!!
Sponsored links
Old 05-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

Wow, I wish we could get more detailed write-ups like that. Adds a higher level of comfort and confidence and considering a new mod. Thanks!
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Old 05-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Rep:22
mriboy is on a distinguished road

I have a Airaid cai in my 2010 SHO I get about 1mpg more after install. The best part was mine was free, Airaid used my car to make their install directions . I am going to get one for the dodge and change out the stock muffler with a magnaflow haven't decided on 18 inch or go a little bigger.
Mike
Old 05-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram QC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Kaine is on a distinguished road

Installed my Airaid today and your review pretty much sums it all up. Can't think of anything you missed.

I'll drive it for a week and post the MPG changes compared to stock, although the numbers will have to be taken with a grain of salt as I installed the MBRP cat back exhaust as well.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:52 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Hemi sport
Trim Level: Sport QC.
Color: Black
wannab is on a distinguished road

any update on mileage.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram1500 Big Horn Crew 4X4
Trim Level: 26Z Big Horn Regiona
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
BlueBeastRam is on a distinguished road

Great write up it sure helped make my mind up on what to buy to replace stock.. Thanks
Old 05-18-2011, 08:35 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Rep:100
LeKy411 will become famous soon enoughLeKy411 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannab View Post
any update on mileage.
The Process:
Sorry for not updating the mileage information, but I have not been doing a good deal of driving since the install and the driving I have done is not typical (lots of driving in traffic lately). I did go back and double check the installation a few days ago and everything was nice and snug. While doing the double check I disconnected the negative battery terminal and that seems to mess with my EVIC somewhat. I filled the tank up with 87 Octane (Costco Brand, which makes me wonder if that stuff is cheaper because its lower quality). I reset the EVIC during fill up and I reset my trip meter.

MPG's so Far:
Currently I have done 115 miles which equates to a quarter of a tank according to the needle and the DTE (Distance to Empty) is 275 If you add the DTE with the trip meter driven and divide by 26 (my gas tank size) you are looking at about 14.8 MPG's which is better than what I had stock (13.2) but I have spent more time in the city and traffic, along with this rainy windy weather we have in Chicago.

Observations:
What I have noticed thus far with the CAI vs Stock is that there is a larger gain in MPG's in terms of Highway driving at speed up to 75 MPH. The EVIC MPG's continue to rise. During traffic and city driving the MPG's seem to drop rather drastically. It seems there is more loss than gain when comparing highway to city driving.

Being a science teacher here is what I got to account for this. The cone filter when compared to stock is much larger and constructed of a thicker material, so although it is more ridged to increase surface area, it still has some built in resistance. During higher speed and constant movement all this is rather negligible because all in all you are getting a higher level of air flow and the wind creates a natural flow reducing the amount of suction.

During slow speeds however this resistance plays a large factor and results in the engine having a lower amount of flow which explains the drop in MPG's. The vortex tube design is more of a trade mark gimmick by AiRaid and adds more to the sound of the air rushing in than anything else. So if you want to save some bucks go with just the box and filter and reuse the old intake tube (also a much easier install). Some guys swear by the smooth tubing vs the rubber factory tubing, but all in all the amount of air flow at high speeds is already strong enough to overcome those ridges. The smooth tube vs the ridged tube would be more important in exhaust than in intake.

Thus far, if you are doing mostly highway driving with little to no traffic I would recommend the CAI (any one in general). If you are a city driver or drive a lot in traffic a CAI will do nothing for your truck, in fact it may rob you of a few tenths of MPG's. Unless you want some performance and sound then by all means please buy it.

I will post full manualand EVIC calculations when the tank is empty which will hopefully be by the end of next week.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Ram Hood
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:516
Bordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of light

Amazing write up.
Just ordered my airraid intake today actually.

Seems to be the best one out there, havebt heard any complaints about fitting issues or anything.

Can't wait for it to come in!!

Again, awesome job
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Hemi sport
Trim Level: Sport QC.
Color: Black
wannab is on a distinguished road

great job, Very good right up and I definately think higher of science teachers now. I went with the K+N, I think the designe of both systems are close, and I liked the way the K+N gets its air from the fender. A little more open, and they both seal to the hood. I also got the K+N for alot cheaper. Thanks

Last edited by wannab; 05-18-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:42 AM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 SLT C.C.
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:946
Juice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannab View Post
great job, Very good right up and I definately think higher of science teachers now. I went with the K+N, I think the designe of both systems are close, and I liked the way the K+N gets its air from the fender. A little more open, and they both seal to the hood. I also got the K+N for alot cheaper. Thanks
The Airaid get's air from the fender too. I can get the Airaid right now for $313 from Autoanything. That's $56 off original cost.

Justin
Black Mamba- Flowmaster 40 series, Airaid CAI, 20% tint, GTO taillight covers, ATA nerfs, AVS in-channel ventvisors, Curt hitch receiver, Extang Revolution Tonneau, EZ-down tailgate damper, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Custom painted engine cover

Black Mamba's Thread