DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 4X4
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
mybigredram is on a distinguished road

The last time I was at the Texas Trophy Hunters Show in Houston, TX. there were 2 different vehicles completely covered and they looked great. Would be perfect for South Texas Brush Country hunters.
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssmith76 View Post
This is the second or third time I've seen this on the boards... How much weight could this actually add to the truck? I can see some extra weight due to the rubber granules mixed in with the paint, but I honestly can;t see so much extra weight that it would start affecting the MPG's.
Stop by your local bed liner dealer and ask (2) questions:

How much does a set of drums weigh that he sprays the 2-part PU from?

How many truck beds can he do before he has to change out the drums?

Assuming a 50-50 ratio (I realize it probably isn't though - I used to know this but have slept since then evidently!), the standard bed = 1/3 of an entire truck, 1000 lbs. for (2) drums and the ability to shoot (6) truck beds per drum set, you could be looking at adding more than 500 lbs to the weight of your truck (permanently - you can't take it off like a custom bumper or camper shell). That won't help your mileage and the aerodynamics will be adversely effected as well.

Let us know what he says so I can adjust my calculations with real data rather than SWAG's (Scientific Wild-Ass Guess).
Old 01-14-2012, 10:20 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Green / Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:26
jssmith76 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jssmith76 Send a message via Yahoo to jssmith76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post

Assuming a 50-50 ratio (I realize it probably isn't though - I used to know this but have slept since then evidently!), the standard bed = 1/3 of an entire truck, 1000 lbs. for (2) drums and the ability to shoot (6) truck beds per drum set, you could be looking at adding more than 500 lbs to the weight of your truck (permanently - you can't take it off like a custom bumper or camper shell). That won't help your mileage and the aerodynamics will be adversely effected as well.

Let us know what he says so I can adjust my calculations with real data rather than SWAG's (Scientific Wild-Ass Guess).
I didn't think it would take 2 drums of the stuff. That does sound like alot. I was actually basing my assumption that it would take 1 gallon to do 2 coats on the bed of the truck. Herculiner's website states that is all it take for the inside of the bed, doing it yourself with a roller.

So, 1 gallon inside bed, say 1 gallon outside bed. Then per your comment of the bed bng 1/3 the truck would bring the total to 6 gallons. That shouldn't be too heavy, right? Am I way off on this line of thinking?

33" Goodyear Wrangler's on 16x8 ProComp Xtreme Alloy 1869's; Spectre CAI, Flowmaster Super 40 Cat-Back Dual Exhaust, Firestone RideRite Air Bags, Grille Guard, Step Bars
Old 01-14-2012, 10:42 AM

Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I didn't think it would take 2 drums of the stuff. That does sound like alot. I was actually basing my assumption that it would take 1 gallon to do 2 coats on the bed of the truck. Herculiner's website states that is all it take for the inside of the bed, doing it yourself with a roller.

So, 1 gallon inside bed, say 1 gallon outside bed. Then per your comment of the bed bng 1/3 the truck would bring the total to 6 gallons. That shouldn't be too heavy, right? Am I way off on this line of thinking?
You're way off IF you're talking about LineX (or Rhino Liner). They are a hot-sprayed 2-part Poly-Urethane. Simply put, they are similar to 2-part epoxy in that there is a base and an activator. They are mixed hot at the spray nozzle and can be applied as thin as 1/16" or more than 5/16" thick. The roll on versions that you get in Wal-Mart or the auto parts stores are cured/set by exposure to either air and/or water (humidity in the air). I have no idea how thick they can/should be applied or how well they hold up. I would assume that surface prep is everything though.

If all you want is abrasion protection then the roll on might work and is probably 'lighter' than spray-on ((3) gallons is probably less than 50 lbs.). But if you're looking for hail damage and rock protection you'll need to step up to a sprayed on version. I'd recommend LineX or Ultimate Xtreme.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
You're way off IF you're talking about LineX (or Rhino Liner). They are a hot-sprayed 2-part Poly-Urethane. Simply put, they are similar to 2-part epoxy in that there is a base and an activator. They are mixed hot at the spray nozzle and can be applied as thin as 1/16" or more than 5/16" thick. The roll on versions that you get in Wal-Mart or the auto parts stores are cured/set by exposure to either air and/or water (humidity in the air). I have no idea how thick they can/should be applied or how well they hold up. I would assume that surface prep is everything though.

If all you want is abrasion protection then the roll on might work and is probably 'lighter' than spray-on ((3) gallons is probably less than 50 lbs.). But if you're looking for hail damage and rock protection you'll need to step up to a sprayed on version. I'd recommend LineX or Ultimate Xtreme.
Ahhh, okies. That actually clears up alot of things I had been wondering about this type of application. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

33" Goodyear Wrangler's on 16x8 ProComp Xtreme Alloy 1869's; Spectre CAI, Flowmaster Super 40 Cat-Back Dual Exhaust, Firestone RideRite Air Bags, Grille Guard, Step Bars
Old 01-15-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Ahhh, okies. That actually clears up alot of things I had been wondering about this type of application. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
I don't know if I'd try and roller an entire truck. There's a lot of curves that would be hard to apply evenly on. Spraying (just like paint) seems much easier to me.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab Sport
Color: black
Rep:249
2011 ASSAULT 800 has a spectacular aura about2011 ASSAULT 800 has a spectacular aura about2011 ASSAULT 800 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

I was thinking along those lines too, plus it would throw the gvwr out if he tows or puts stuff in the box, like I said before, it looks cool..... on other peoples trucks, trucks that probably wont be sold for much more than a bush truck.... i guess it depends on his application and reasoning

Mods : 20x9 fuel Kranks, S&B CAI, 20% tint, Ram rubber mud flaps, Lumens 35w 6000k canbus low beams, tri fold tonneau, led plate & cargo lights, custom led bed lighting
Old 01-16-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 ASSAULT 800 View Post
it would throw the gvwr out if he tows or puts stuff in the box.... i guess it depends on his application and reasoning
Hmmm... You guys keep throwing ideas out about things I've never really thought about. I'm now starting to think against this idea for a "DIY" paint job. I do tow occasionally, and do throw stuff in the bed. Planning on getting a pop-up tent trailer within a couple years, so this might not be that good of an idea. The main reasoning behind my idea and thoughts of doing this was to keep the "desert pin-striping" down to a minimum while I'm off-road, and mainly just the look of the flat black paint job. Maybe I should start focusing on a standard flat black paint job then so that it doesn't mess around with the weight of the truck and such.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Your Mod Superstore!

Vehicle: Full Garage!
Rep:153
AutoAnything has a spectacular aura aboutAutoAnything has a spectacular aura about

Glad we got you thinking

Click the ^banner^ and save up to 16% on Dodge Ram mods.
We price match, simply call 888-591-8563 or
Click-Here-to-Chat and we'll beat ANY price by $1.

Click Here To See The Latest and Greatest Specials From AutoAnything!
Old 01-16-2012, 05:05 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

not sure a standard flat/satin/matte paint job would be the best option from a maintenance point of view. No buff, no wax, nudda. It will be hard to get the AZ pinstripes out.

That said - i love my Satin Back theme but i am just done w/ it for a while.

Quote:
Hmmm... You guys keep throwing ideas out about things I've never really thought about. I'm now starting to think against this idea for a "DIY" paint job. I do tow occasionally, and do throw stuff in the bed. Planning on getting a pop-up tent trailer within a couple years, so this might not be that good of an idea. The main reasoning behind my idea and thoughts of doing this was to keep the "desert pin-striping" down to a minimum while I'm off-road, and mainly just the look of the flat black paint job. Maybe I should start focusing on a standard flat black paint job then so that it doesn't mess around with the weight of the truck and such.