DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion

Notices

Drag Racing Discussion Post your questions and info about how to best get these beasts down the 1320!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:69
ramrt1993 will become famous soon enough

I am 17, I graduated high school a year ago and I've been working for my dad's company since I was 10. And, it is my truck. It's not fully paid off yet, I'm making payments right now.

As for that muffler dude getting paid to move Dynomax, you're wrong. He only stocks Flowmaster. He said he would gladly order Dynomax or Magnaflow for me.

Thanks for your video, I watched it and I wasn't even able to hear any drone. I'm just a little nervous about replacing the stock muffler, it'd be my first mod, and I don't want it to go wrong. If there really isn't any drone, then I'd much rather go with a Magnaflow.
Gatorhyde Spray In Bedliner-MGP Red Brake Caliper Covers-Tinted Windows-Partially Debadged-aFe Stage 2 Intake-180 Thermostat-Groundforce 2" Rear Drop-BT Catch Can-Fastman Throttle Body-ARH Headers 1 3/4"-True Dual 22" Magnapacks-100% Synthetic Amsoil-TYC V6 eFan-Hemifever Tune
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram R/T
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:62
MrCrash will become famous soon enough

I have a Cherry Bomb Vortex, and it drones mainly between 35-40mph at certain throttle positions. Other then that it is fine. They also claim to have zero drone, so I would take any claims like that with a grain of salt. I'd say just get something in your price and noise range, and don't get it welded in. For a little more money the shop should be able to build something like those drop-in magnaflow mufflers with whatever muffler you get. That way you can easily swap it out later if you want something different.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:39 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:527
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Glad that video helped

If you watch closely from the 2:00 minute mark to the end 2:45
the truck is running in MDS mode and there's no issues at all while its engaged.

other than getting 22-24 MPG

Cant go wrong with Magnaflow, Thousands of Ram owners here cant all be wrong.

BTW Good on ya for being 17 with a new R/T!

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Old 05-24-2011, 01:43 PM

BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Here's another happy Magnaflow CatBack owner who just installed it in his driveway, the same kit I have, $500

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83202

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannab View Post
I can not believe this system has no drone at all. I was starting to here a little drone from the stock system if I am not mistaken.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
Glad that video helped

If you watch closely from the 2:00 minute mark to the end 2:45
the truck is running in MDS mode and there's no issues at all while its engaged.

other than getting 22-24 MPG

Cant go wrong with Magnaflow, Thousands of Ram owners here cant all be wrong.

BTW Good on ya for being 17 with a new R/T!
I'm hoping a replacement muffler and someday an intake will help with my pathetic 16-17 MPG. The SS and Tundra who beat me are both getting about 13 MPG though, so I guess I'm doing alright

I sure hope the majority is right! I suppose if all you guys are gonna jump off a bridge, I should too!

Thanks, I'm really enjoying it and working hard to pay for it
Gatorhyde Spray In Bedliner-MGP Red Brake Caliper Covers-Tinted Windows-Partially Debadged-aFe Stage 2 Intake-180 Thermostat-Groundforce 2" Rear Drop-BT Catch Can-Fastman Throttle Body-ARH Headers 1 3/4"-True Dual 22" Magnapacks-100% Synthetic Amsoil-TYC V6 eFan-Hemifever Tune
Old 05-24-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrash View Post
I have a Cherry Bomb Vortex, and it drones mainly between 35-40mph at certain throttle positions. Other then that it is fine. They also claim to have zero drone, so I would take any claims like that with a grain of salt. I'd say just get something in your price and noise range, and don't get it welded in. For a little more money the shop should be able to build something like those drop-in magnaflow mufflers with whatever muffler you get. That way you can easily swap it out later if you want something different.
I didn't know it was possible for them to install it without welding it in..I'd like that! That way I could go back to my stock muffler if I didn't like the sound.

So, now that I've pretty much settled on a Magnaflow, what size should I get? I want it to have the same noise level as the stock exhaust. I just want a different tone, and hopefully some increased performance. I'm thinking either 24" or 22" and leave the stock resonators in?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:46 PM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 quad cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: mineral gray
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
viper19JN is on a distinguished road

man your best bet is practice like everyone else stated you should also practice manually shifting the shift delay is reduced by shifting manually

also on the muffler issue man everyone had me so worked up about the issue i didnt know what to do. mds is going to change the sound of the exhaust even if you get the dynomax VT muffler here is a link
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffervt
my magnaflo sounds fine and if it has a drone its right as I start to pull a load on the motor and kick out of mds mode. also that valve is just something else to malfunction

I went with the mufflex 14" magnaflow so like you said I could remove it and go back to stock in my opinion if you just replace the muffler with a free flow style muffler and leave the stock resonator you barely hear it especially if you go with the longer muffler

and honestly I wish I would have went with the weldded on version now mainly because I broke one of the clamps trying to get the pipe to fit tight and also because the fact it has a gap because it didnt fit tight and now I think I have an exhaust leak do yourself a favor and find someone close with the setup you want and see what it sounds like and get one welded on
Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 quad cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: mineral gray
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
viper19JN is on a distinguished road

oh yeah good job on the R/T at 17 sounds like your doing it right and working for it everyone just gets jelouse of the kids that get everything handed to them. personally I feal sorry for them they have know idea what it takes to survive in the real world

oh just watch that driving record it dont take long to lose a license not to mention be uninsurable lol no ive never been there but ive been close too many times

and with that said id go with the 18 or 22 magnaflow dont want to be too noisy and cause unwanted attention from the athorities lol
Old 05-24-2011, 11:44 PM

Ditto!

...and I will reiterate, even though it's been ignored or overlooked 3 times..
Race it at a Track, not on the street!

This is what "can" happen to a young driver with
too much power and not enough brains/experience in a split second: (language warning)

Seriously! you will learn more and be safer in a controlled environment with better traction
...and it's the ONLY place that's 100% Legal to go 100 mph!

Fill out your profile location!
I bet there's someone here that's been to a track near you.

I've made a LOT of new friends, mostly Mopar guys and at least 8 Ram owners
at our local track and learned a huge amount in a very short time.

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 05-24-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:01 AM

Woah..that is freaky! There's a track about 10 miles from where I live, but it's just an 1/8th mile. I didn't plan to race those guys, it was sorta out of the blue. I think I'm gonna stick to going to the track next time though.

I must admit though, that video is hilarious! Especially since nobody got hurt