DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Wyoharris is on a distinguished road
Default 01 has no guts!

Bought an 01 extended cab short box. 318, 5 speed manual. Had some issues when I first got it. Put new plugs, wires, cap and rotor in it. Runs smooth, sounds really good! Running around town its pretty good. Put it out on the highway and its a dog! Any little hill shuts it down to 50, 55 mph, sometimes less. No stuttering, no smoke, no engine codes. Pulled out ox sensor and made no difference so I assume the cat is not plugged. I Seafoamed it, and didnt help.
Checked fuel pressure, cant remember exact number, but was real close to 50psi. I realize this isnt a big engine in a truck, but it should hold road speed! The 318 in wifes 98 Durango holds its own, kind of expected same with this. What it all boils down to-Whats next to check? Running out of ideas!
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 PM
erm

hmmmm.... you have hit just about everything I'd check. But, don't assume your cat isn't plugged just because you didn't throw a code.

Did you visually inspect the cat?

There are many signs that the catalytic converter may be in need of service, but two of the more common signs are engine performance and an odor associated with a failing converter.

A converter that is damaged can cause the engine to not function properly. For example, the engine struggles when going up inclines, it hesitates when you try to accelerate or you experience a noticeable drop in fuel economy. If a tank of gas is not taking you as far as it used to, then it may be time to have the catalytic converter looked at.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:40
Kilkenny is on a distinguished road

I know I say this a lot on this forum, but check for a plenum leak. Most times when 5.2 and 5.9 engines feel gutless even after changing plugs, wires, etc, its because the plenum gasket is blown and oil gets sucked through the intake. It's just a problem that this design has. The plenum plate bolts to the bottom of the intake manifold with a gasket in between. The plenum plate is steel, while the manifold is aluminum. Since these metals expand and contract at different rates, it can cause that gasket in between to blow. Why Dodge put a steel plate in there instead of aluminum is beyond me.

To check for a leak, open up the throttle body and look inside with a flashlight. If you see oil, you have a leak.

This kit will fix the problem permanently. It has an aluminum plate that replaces the steel one that came from the factory.
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...3&partid=26190
Old 05-20-2011, 10:38 PM
erm

Keep sayin' that, Kilkenny because it's good advice!
Old 05-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the help! The reason I think the cat isnt plugged is I pulled the oxygen sensor and ran it for a while. No power increase. Shouldnt that let enough exhaust out to make a difference? And I wasnt looking at the plenum gasket because there is no oil consumption. Am I all wet on my thinking?
Old 05-21-2011, 12:41 AM
erm

Nope...if nothing changed when you ran it with the cat disconnected (you didn't mention you ran it with it off) then we can eliminate the cat and move on.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So, days off and back to it...Checked for plenum leak-bright and shiny down there. Checked fuel pressure again, 52 psi, what little fluctuation there was might be due to cheap gauge. Checked injectors with a screwdriver stethoscope, all ticked just like they are supposed to. Could injectors be dirty? Should I throw some new ones at it? Should I pull the 440 out of my old Winnebago and stuff it in? I guess next thing is compression check. Any ideas are appreciated and thanks once again for help.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 SLT Hemi Quadcab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
DRHRSH is on a distinguished road

Have you had any luck solving this? I also just bought a 99 5.2 4x4 manual that acts the same way. When I removed the front O2 sensor to allow exhaust to escape I initially thought it ran better. Before removing it it would rev to 3000rpms then bog down like there was a governor on it! When I removed the O2 and reved it in the driveway...Wow it reved past 3000 with no problem. So I took it for a test drive and it ran worse than before. It missed, stumbled and sputtered, and when I reached 3000 rpms it reved better for a while.
I took her to the dealer and they diagnosed a plugged Cat and the oil plenum leak, much referred to on this forum. So I ordered a new exhaust system with Cat and the Hughes kit. I will report back after I fix it in a few weeks.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 ram 1500
Trim Level: base
Color: white
Rep:35
jowwo is on a distinguished road

Hmmmmm, Mines been gutless since I bought it almost a year ago. I just figured it was the 318. I put on a CAI yesterday and what do you know, there's oil down there.
Good info in this thread!!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Lancer TURBO
Trim Level: ES Sport
Color: Graphite Gray
Serrilion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Serrilion Send a message via MSN to Serrilion Send a message via Yahoo to Serrilion

Humm... Maybe your truck has a diffrent rear gears? My 00 318 5spd being all stock holds speeds... 70mph in 3rd up a 19% grade....