DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:249
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about
Default anyone lowered with a mag-hytec diff cover

I recently installed an Otto max 2" rear lowering/leveling kit and a metal on metal kind of clanking noise started. I've checked everything mulitple times. Loosened and retorqed everything (not jacked up) with the vehicle on the axles.

Anyway, my mag-hytec diff cover was always kind of close to the track bar with the factory springs...maybe 3/8" or so. the distance still looks the same but I was thinking maybe the track bar is coming into slight contact with the diff cover.

do you all think it's possible for the axle to move fore/aft that much. I don't see any rub marks on either. man this is just frustrating.

Stage 2 is underway by L&M Customs & HHP
Sponsored links
Old 05-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

On the instruction sheet for my Mag-Hytec cover, it reads on some Ram setups, you will have clearance issues, it suggests that you should use washers or spacers when installing

A word of caution to the installer / vehicle owner:
The Mag-Hytec cover is designed to fit the factory Dodge axles as supplied as original equipment. However, in some applications, or
because of the use of certain factory options and/or after market equipment, there may be clearance problems between your Mag-
Hytec cover and other vehicle systems (specifically some rear sway bars). It may be necessary to install spacers or shims to lower the
sway bar. It is the responsibility of the vehicle owner/cover installer to ensure that no other vehicle component comes"in contact with
the Mag-Hytec cover. Contact with any vehicle component, or the making of any modification to the Mag-Hytec cover,
automatically voids the warranty. Mag-Hytec assumes no liability, expressed or implied, for damage or injury to persons or
property.

http://www.mag-hytec.com/Dodge%20Dif...%2012-9_25.pdf

just a thought, go to the Home Depot or Lowes, buy a length or 2 of the foam pipe insulation that will fit around those bars, then use masking tape to secure it in place temporarily to see if that is your problem, i mentioned a second piece or insulation because i use a floor jack, i put a length of insulation over the whole jack handle, now when i am jacking up a vehicle, the metal jack handle doesn't hit the vehicles bumper, i hated that noise & it has worked for years

[IMG]
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 05-21-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

awesome idea! yeah I'll get two pieces of that black foam pipe insulation and give both ideas a try. never thought of that for the jack handle.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

ok. I think I found the problem. it's the 8' of E-brake cable running down the drivers side. It has been flapping and would sometimes hit the frame. I think I must have inadvertantly rotated part of the adjuster where the metal rather than the foam would hit the frame.

would any with a qc or cc mind posting a pic of their cable. the area I'm talking about is right below the rear driver door. thanks.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
2010dozzmango1500 is on a distinguished road
Default possible souluton for metal on metal sound

When i installed my groubd force lowereing kit on my 2010 sport i had a harsh metal on metal sound comming from the rear of the truck, I though everything was tight as i used an impact and thought to have everything properly torqued to spec, later on i found that my passenger side rear top shock mount was a little loose, and just because of that shock mount was 5 lbs off of spec it made a horrible sound, metal on metal, hope this helps, you should also check where your rear sway bar mounts to the frame, that could also make a metal on metal sound aswell, and just for confirmation my truck was lowered 3 inches in the rear and i never touched my mag hytec diff cover with the track or anti sway bar even when towing.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

yeah, that's what it was...my upper shock mounts weren't torqued properly. now at 100 ft-lbs they don't make any noise. completely forgot about this thread.