DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
LeKy411 will become famous soon enoughLeKy411 will become famous soon enough
Default BakFlip F1 Review for those Curious Folk

This is a review of the BakFlip F1
Purchased from truckchamp.com for $841.00 (Phone price included shipping and no tax to Illinois)

Packaging:
The box arrived from Indiana which took a day which was awesome. The box was large with a good hefty weight to it. Upon opening the box there was a good deal of insulation to protect the items in the box. The items in the box are hand inspected before being taped up to ensure everything is present.

Had to dig around for the instructions, but they where the only white piece of paper in the box so it wasn't too bad.

Directions:
The directions are colorful, but the written portion is not all that clear. The best thing to do is to go online and look at a video. Making sure to get good alingment is the most difficult part so that it does not sit more to the left or right. The directions I received say that a Ram 2002+ requires shims, but the package did not come with any and I don't believe they are needed for the 4th gens. Pictures are generic, the rail style pictured does not match the the rails for the Ram.

The funniest thing about the entire set of directions is that on them is states that this is the G2 directions. This may also explain the need for shims. Not completely sure, but my F1 kit had no shims as I mentioned before.

Installation:
Installation should be a breeze. It took me about 45 minutes. It started to get dark when I was getting finished. The reason for the length of time is because my drop in bed liner along with the tailgate liner add about 1/2 inch to the thickness of the edges and it took a lot of force to close the gate. To prevent this I ended up cutting in the front rail of the bed liner to allow the rails to go forward some more. This was the biggest pain in the side. I was glad to get it done. Honestly I am getting that thing sprayed over the summer with Line-X. The liner makes my truck look cheap.

Once the cutting was done clamping the rails down was easy. Making sure they are flat takes a couple minutes to get it right. I ran the drain tubes, through the holes in the liner and then through the holes in the bed hooks. I didn't trim the tubes, they fit all the way in so that they would not kink.

Putting the cover on takes two people the first time. After it is places opening it up to check fit is important so that when you tighten the end bolts both sides are even. Also pushing the cover forward a little bit helps to make sure that the cover is completely fitted against the front rails.

Tightening the two bolts is simple, but make sure when you slide the bolt in you then go with the rubber gasket underneath followed by the flat washer, spring washer, and finally the star nut.

All said and done you can apply the rubber gaskets that protect your back window from getting messed up when you fully open the cover.

Having the cover completely unfolded you may need to pull out certain parts of the outer gasket so that in can lay out flat. They tend to bunch at the folds from sitting in a box. You can apply a little heat or let it sit out in the sun. That should work.

Performance:
No clue yet, its supposed to rain tomorrow so we shall see. It opens and closes very easily. The mechanics of it are very nice. Although I am still wondering why my left side looks like it sits better than my right. I will double check tomorrow.

The locking of the cover is great and will definitely keep things more secure. I tried messing with it to pop it open, but I am sure if you get a flat head in there, you could get it open with enough force.

Well it rained rather hard here last night and this morning. The seals on the right side of the truck did not settle down because of the cold and water was dripping over the wheel well. Also because of the drop in liner there are two small gaps on the left and right side of the front bed rail and some water got in there. The idea is cool, but the application in terms of complete water tightness is not going to happen 100%. I will let the seals settle over the next couple days when it gets warm and hopefully the seal will be better. It does however keep all the leaves out of the bed and I am sure it will be great for the snow, but do not expect 100% water tightness. I still have a rake on my truck so it is not level so the water does flow towards the front drain tubes. If your truck is level and on a hill with the end being lower, those drain tubes will not help and the water will flow towards the tailgate and may splash back into your bed.

Overall:
I think the cover looks great and the install was okay, but the bed liner really slowed me down. Getting the rails clamped and flat may take a second try, but it should be fine once done. Running the drain tubes is very simple even with the liner. Aligning the cover so that it sits even on both sides took enough effort to annoy me, but I will have to do a double take tomorrow.

My biggest wonder is what the actual F1 is made of. When you look through the two bolt holes it looks like it is made of Styrofoam. Doesn't seem like carbon fiber. I wonder if I would be better off with the G2 for less money.

The cover looks great on the truck, and I'm glad it will keep things out of the bed. It appears very water proof, and I will let you know if it actually is.

I give this product ZZZZZZZZ (8Z's)

Pictures tomorrow, when its light out.

Last edited by LeKy411; 05-25-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Updated Performance
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2011, 12:18 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab 4X4
Color: Deepwater Blue Pearl
Rep:26
Amdukias is on a distinguished road

Great review, looking at one of these myself. Looking forward to the pics.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the review I'm ordering mine next week.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:42 AM

Trim Level: Sport Crew w/Rambox
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:36
moose3 is on a distinguished road

I believe the F1 is suppossed to be fiberglass over an aluminum substrate. I am ordering a Rambox version tomorrow. Worked out a great deal with a retailer.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:48 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:140
DOZER will become famous soon enoughDOZER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DOZER Send a message via Skype™ to DOZER

Been eyeing this for a while now. Probably gonna get one in the fall.
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

I have the F1 that fits models with the Rambox. Agree completely with your review, especially regarding the instructions. I found reading what came with the cover, combined with watching the video, produced the best result. I had to make one right-to-left adjustment the next day but nothing major. We have been getting a lot of rain here and it has remained water tight. It takes a couple of days for the rubber seals on the sides to lay down completely (after being folded in the box for shipping) but they will eventually. I have only had mine for 2-3 weeks but have been very pleased thus far. After owning an Avalanche for eight years prior to my Ram, having a covered and locked bed was a must and the F1 seems to have met all of my needs.

One thing I did not know when I ordered. I chose the F1 because it was billed as a fiberglass cover. I was expecting the hard covers similar to those found on the Avalanche. Instead, it is a fiberglass interior with what appears to be heavy duty aluminum outer layer. This has a little more glossy shine than I would have preferred and only time will tell how that outer layer holds up in a hail storm. I have not read of others having any issues so this is of minimal concern at this point.
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Old 05-25-2011, 10:15 AM

Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:10
JimmyNichols is on a distinguished road

Great Review! I just installed mine over my Line-X liner and didn't have any of the fit issues that you had. Will definitely be easier for you once it is sprayed.

My instructions were on a trifold pamphlet, but had the same poor written instructions. I didn't hook my tubes. I want to see how it performs without them, since there is a drain hole near the front of the bed. I shall see today since we are supposed to get some big storms in Ohio.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:07 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2wd Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
P Rod is on a distinguished road

Great Review and perfect timing. I just installed my new BedTred last night now getting ready to pull the trigger on a New Bakflip F1. I was considering the Bak flip G2, but decided on the F1 because of the better heat resistence and it is a little lighter. Hope to have it ordered in the next couple of days.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
JimmyNichols is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Rod View Post
Great Review and perfect timing. I just installed my new BedTred last night now getting ready to pull the trigger on a New Bakflip F1. I was considering the Bak flip G2, but decided on the F1 because of the better heat resistence and it is a little lighter. Hope to have it ordered in the next couple of days.

Same reasons I went with the F1. On the last flip up to the window it is pretty heavy from the ground. I couldn't imagine doing it with the heavier versions.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 PM

Trim Level: Sport Crew w/Rambox
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:36
moose3 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Razorbass;533245]After owning an Avalanche for eight years prior to my Ram, having a covered and locked bed was a must and the F1 seems to have met all of my needs.

QUOTE]

Interesting I had a Avalanche for the past 6 years before going to a Rambox equipped dodge. I added the electronic tailgate lock day one and will have the bakflip F1 shortly. If you haven't done the electric upgrade for the tailgate lock I highly recommend it, you will then have the easy security that the avalanche offered.

Although the three panel cover on the Avalanche would be nearly impossible to access, the Bakflip is a box cutter away from opening. Looking at the videos I have seen looks like simply cutting the rubber hinges and the panel will open backwards.