DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport QC
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:16
car421 is on a distinguished road
Default What do I need to know about towing a travel trailer

Hey all, thinking of getting a travel trailer and would like to know what if anything I would need for my truck prior to making the plunge. Current set-up is a 2006 5.7 quadcab with the tow package. Have a class IV factory hitch on the back. Acording to the manual it states a max of 10,000 lbs towing. I have a round connector on the bumper and the manual shows one of the prongs is for break assist?

What could I realistically expect to tow with this truck and would I need anything else to tow a trailer? The truck has 20's on it and I thought that I read somewhere that with the 20's the actual tow weight goes down. Is this correct?

Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

2006 Dodge Ram towing capacities
Ram's maximum towing capacity is 3750 lb with V6, 7650 with 4.7 V8, 9100 with 5.7. Most likely your tow package is a Class III hitch which limits you 5,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 500 lbs of tongue weight. If you have a Class IV hitch, the hitch can handle up to 12,000 lbs of gross trailer weight and 1,200 lbs of tongue weight.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Electric brake controller... seriously, if you don't have one buy one, if you can't afford one, break into your neighbour's and steal his. For your 20" tire question, your towing capacity will only be affected by how much weight you put on the tires and what their max pressure is. If you have Load range E tires, you can put 80psi of pressure in them from weight but by then your suspension should be sagging like an old granny's .... so if you have issues with sagging, then you can get a helper bag kit.

My parents had a 27' 5th wheel trailer that their 5.9L gas pulled alright, but was still slow on hills. Anything heavier you'd want to look at a diesel for sure.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn SLT
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
Almond 04 is on a distinguished road

Is your truck 1/2 or 3/4 ton that makes a difference. How big is the trailer and what does it weigh? We need more info before we go here.

I tow a car and trailer with my 2500. Trailer weighs 1400 all steel, car is 3800. So 5200lbs. I tow with a weight distrbuting hitch and anti sway bar. I would recomend the same.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 PM
erm

Anti-Sway and load equalizer hitches are necessary. A brake controller is necessary. Make sure your tire load rating is sufficient to meet your GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).

Look at your manual for your GVWR which is your truck and trailer in combination. That means the weight of the truck and trailer with your passengers, clothes, fuel, water, etc...that you will be packing with you. Don't fixate on towing capacity, be aware of your GVWR so as to avoid damage to the hitch and the truck.

To save some towing weight, unless you are going to a location with no water, don't fill up your fresh water tank until you get to your destination. And also drain it and your black water/grey water tanks before you hit the road home.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

I pull a 26ft travel trailer. A brake controller, anti-sway, and load equalizers are a must. Since my camper is mid 90s it doesn't sit has high as the new ones. So I had to buy a larger drop hitch. How big of trailer are you looking at getting?
I agree also on the water and draining afterwards.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue Pearl Coat
Rep:31
nhegel is on a distinguished road

I pulled mine home 200 miles without swaybar. As soon as I got home I ordered one up. It is night and day. I went to the Black Hills of SD this past summer and averaged 5mpg. My trailer is 28, and it might weigh 5500 with gear and no water.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:15 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Color: Graphite Gray
Rep:72
Incognito will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Electric brake controller... seriously, if you don't have one buy one, if you can't afford one, break into your neighbour's and steal his. For your 20" tire question, your towing capacity will only be affected by how much weight you put on the tires and what their max pressure is. If you have Load range E tires, you can put 80psi of pressure in them from weight but by then your suspension should be sagging like an old granny's .... so if you have issues with sagging, then you can get a helper bag kit.

My parents had a 27' 5th wheel trailer that their 5.9L gas pulled alright, but was still slow on hills. Anything heavier you'd want to look at a diesel for sure.
Yup, trailer brakes for sure. Gotta be crazy like me to go without one. Hauling a 5th wheel with the old 5.9L Magnum is crazy. I know that was a hell of a powerful engine but I wouldn't do something like that. Not even with a 6.0L Vortec. Any serious towing requires diesel.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport QC
Color: Flame Red
Rep:16
car421 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the reply's. Don't have a size in mind yet, I only want to look at what I can haul so doing my homework now.
Also the truck is a 1500.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
americon is on a distinguished road

I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi. I'm looking at buying a 29ft pull behind trailer that weighs 6200lbs dry and 8100 GVWR and my truck is good for 8350. I only plan on packing 1000lbs of camping gear in the trailer. I will also have a 600lbs quad in the box of the truck, and the truck/trailer will be equipt with break controller and stablizer hitch. I plan on driving in the mountains from time to time.
Will my truck be able to handle the load? If not what kind of weight should I look at as far as a trailers dry weight?
oh and my payload rating for the truck is 1150lbs and the trailers hitch weight is 912lbs.
Thanks