DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing


Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,903
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
I have been told that it's not good to put wax on a new car or freshly painted car. Is this true? I want to try to put some wax on the little scratches to see if they come out
If you have some scratches just put some rubbing compound on there lightly then remove it then put wax on the whole truck and it should look like new.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #12  
Old 05-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Pull Ya's Avatar
Pull Ya Pull Ya is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cedar Creek, Tx
Posts: 1,185
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 5
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice
Default

IMHO--using rubbing compound on a scratch first is like driving a finish nail in wood with a sledge hammer. There are many many other products on the market that will probably remove the scratches better faster and with a lot less work than using rubbing compound. Rubbing compound should be reserved for deep deep scratches, not the scratches that are normally associated with just washing or polishing and waxing your vehicle. You should always try the least abrasive solution first and then use something more abrasive if the first choice doesn't work.
Jay
__________________
Just cause it's loud doesn't mean it's fast and just cause it's shiney doesn't mean it's protected.
Semper Fi Forever
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-31-2011, 03:10 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,903
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
IMHO--using rubbing compound on a scratch first is like driving a finish nail in wood with a sledge hammer. There are many many other products on the market that will probably remove the scratches better faster and with a lot less work than using rubbing compound. Rubbing compound should be reserved for deep deep scratches, not the scratches that are normally associated with just washing or polishing and waxing your vehicle. You should always try the least abrasive solution first and then use something more abrasive if the first choice doesn't work.
Jay
Rubbing compound is actually mainly used to get rid of oxidation and to prep a new paint job for finishing with wax. When you have a deep scratch your suppose to use touch up paint then use compound then wax it. Now with small scratches you use rubbing compound a very small amount and it isn't going to be a confidence builder because it removes the shine however that's why you're suppose to wax after a compound treatment trust me I compounded my whole van and I was like I hope I can make it shiny again and sure enough I put wax on it and I can't stop staring at the beauty of the red pearl coat. But I'm just going not by only my opinion but from what I have tried with my own vehicle. I wouldn't share information with someone unless I have tried it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-31-2011, 05:01 PM
Leadfootluke Leadfootluke is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 420
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 7
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
IMHO--using rubbing compound on a scratch first is like driving a finish nail in wood with a sledge hammer. There are many many other products on the market that will probably remove the scratches better faster and with a lot less work than using rubbing compound. Rubbing compound should be reserved for deep deep scratches, not the scratches that are normally associated with just washing or polishing and waxing your vehicle. You should always try the least abrasive solution first and then use something more abrasive if the first choice doesn't work.
Jay
Correct, and at this point in the game there is no need for a rubbing compound. Liquid compounds cut faster and leave the finish better looking. Something like Meguiars 105 can remove 1200-1500 grit scratches and finish down without any micromarring [on some paints, not all]. A "rubbing" compound from an auto store or hardware store is going to create more scratches than it removes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
Rubbing compound is actually mainly used to get rid of oxidation and to prep a new paint job for finishing with wax. When you have a deep scratch your suppose to use touch up paint then use compound then wax it. Now with small scratches you use rubbing compound a very small amount and it isn't going to be a confidence builder because it removes the shine however that's why you're suppose to wax after a compound treatment trust me I compounded my whole van and I was like I hope I can make it shiny again and sure enough I put wax on it and I can't stop staring at the beauty of the red pearl coat. But I'm just going not by only my opinion but from what I have tried with my own vehicle. I wouldn't share information with someone unless I have tried it.
There is a lot of misinformation in this post. Painters do not move from fresh paint, to a rubbing compound, to a wax. The paint cures, it gets compounded and polished, but not waxes. Fresh paint requires a waiting period before it can be introduced to solvents, like most waxes contain.

When you have a deep scratch, yes, you can touch it up, wetsand, or compound the finish. However, when you have small scratches or swirls, there is no need to remove that much paint. If your scratches are shallow, start with a polish [equitable to 3000-4000 grit sandpaper], not a rubbing compound [which is like using 1500 grit sandpaper on your paint].

The big no-no is going from a rubbing compound [marring the crap out of your paint and making it less shiny], to thinking that a non-abrasive wax is going to remove those scratches you just created from using the rubbing compound. The wax will, at best, fill the scratches and appear to make the paint shiny. It does, in no way shape or form, remove the scratches created by rubbing compound. You need to follow up a rubbing compound with a polish before you even think of adding wax.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,903
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
Correct, and at this point in the game there is no need for a rubbing compound. Liquid compounds cut faster and leave the finish better looking. Something like Meguiars 105 can remove 1200-1500 grit scratches and finish down without any micromarring [on some paints, not all]. A "rubbing" compound from an auto store or hardware store is going to create more scratches than it removes.



There is a lot of misinformation in this post. Painters do not move from fresh paint, to a rubbing compound, to a wax. The paint cures, it gets compounded and polished, but not waxes. Fresh paint requires a waiting period before it can be introduced to solvents, like most waxes contain.

When you have a deep scratch, yes, you can touch it up, wetsand, or compound the finish. However, when you have small scratches or swirls, there is no need to remove that much paint. If your scratches are shallow, start with a polish [equitable to 3000-4000 grit sandpaper], not a rubbing compound [which is like using 1500 grit sandpaper on your paint].

The big no-no is going from a rubbing compound [marring the crap out of your paint and making it less shiny], to thinking that a non-abrasive wax is going to remove those scratches you just created from using the rubbing compound. The wax will, at best, fill the scratches and appear to make the paint shiny. It does, in no way shape or form, remove the scratches created by rubbing compound. You need to follow up a rubbing compound with a polish before you even think of adding wax.
Information being misleading ha, thats news lol...
Anyways I am only going to say what I know and have seen with my own eyes. Like example my van is 16 and it just looked like hell and part of it still does but it's not in my control. Anyways tons of oxidation loads of scratches and my floor is rusting away and my quarter panel had a hole rusted in it so that goes to show what we are working with. I put some compound on and then did a wax and I can say this much a little compound and wax works miracles. As I said before a very light amount of rubbing compound and then a wax should do this man fine for me I have scratches that were made from scotch brite pads and then I did the compound and wax and I can put it this way you couldn't see a scratch. Now this info I provide isn't opinion it's actual experience. I have made some big mistakes doing everything from painting to staining but you learn from them and when you talk to people who have done it for car shows or whatever you learn alot. But hey it worked for me might not work for him but he could give it a try on an area that is unseen.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-02-2011, 01:23 AM
nikeman nikeman is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,622
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep Power: 4
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough
Default

Ok, now I am confused...

I don't want to spend the entire day washing the truck because of those little scratches. My plan was to wash the entire truck, polish the area with the scratches, then maybe wax the entire truck. I saw a video on Turtle Wax Ice wax and it seemed to be a liquid and looked really easy to put on and take off. What do you guys think is the easiest but still effective wax to use? Keep in mind that I want to be able to buy the stuff at a local store.

Also, on a side note.. I watched some of the videos on the Adams website about there soap. The guy in the video put soap all over the entire car and then rinsed it all off. Is this ok to do with Turtle Wax Ice soap? I have always been taught NOT to let the soap stay on the paint to long but the guy in the video had a good point about letting the hard water dry on there. What are your guy's opinion on this? I think it would go a lot faster if I soap up the entire truck at one time...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 AM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,903
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
Ok, now I am confused...

I don't want to spend the entire day washing the truck because of those little scratches. My plan was to wash the entire truck, polish the area with the scratches, then maybe wax the entire truck. I saw a video on Turtle Wax Ice wax and it seemed to be a liquid and looked really easy to put on and take off. What do you guys think is the easiest but still effective wax to use? Keep in mind that I want to be able to buy the stuff at a local store.

Also, on a side note.. I watched some of the videos on the Adams website about there soap. The guy in the video put soap all over the entire car and then rinsed it all off. Is this ok to do with Turtle Wax Ice soap? I have always been taught NOT to let the soap stay on the paint to long but the guy in the video had a good point about letting the hard water dry on there. What are your guy's opinion on this? I think it would go a lot faster if I soap up the entire truck at one time...
Wow you don't want to take the time to take care of the truck. Honestly it don't matter one way or another your truck is going to get scratched up, unless you don't drive it and keep it indoors. Just wash the truck with soap and water then wax it and it should do fine. I mean honestly you cannot rush quality I don't care what anyone says they are wrong and can burn for their lies. Quality cannot be matched.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-02-2011, 12:15 PM
nikeman nikeman is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,622
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep Power: 4
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough
Default

Its not that I don't want to take the time, its that I just don't have the time. I work so much that when I get a day off I have to do EVERYTHING that day. Saturday I have to mow the grass, and then wash the truck and what ever else needs to be done... owing the grass takes a couple hours in it self and the yard is pretty bad this time around
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-02-2011, 12:18 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,903
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
Its not that I don't want to take the time, its that I just don't have the time. I work so much that when I get a day off I have to do EVERYTHING that day. Saturday I have to mow the grass, and then wash the truck and what ever else needs to be done... owing the grass takes a couple hours in it self and the yard is pretty bad this time around
I feel ya about mowing the lawn, I'm down in florida and the stuff grows as your cutting it lol. Well I am not going to tell you how to manage your time.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Pull Ya's Avatar
Pull Ya Pull Ya is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cedar Creek, Tx
Posts: 1,185
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 5
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice
Default

This is what I would suggest. Plan ahead and take the time to wash your truck well, clay bar your truck, wash it again, polish it and then use a good quality sealant on it. The sealant should last for about 6 months where an over the counter wax(Ice) will only last for about 1 month to 6 weeks. If you take the time to begin with then you only have to use the sealant every 6 months. Inbetween times you can wash your truck and then use a spray detailer on it which should only take you about 30 minutes. I think you need to take a little time on the front end and you will be much happier with the end results. It's kinda like a cake. You can buy one in the box and it's fast and pretty good or you can make one home made and it's a whole lot better but it takes longer. Good luck! If you need any EXPERT advise ask Leadfootluke--he is our resident expert.
Jay
__________________
Just cause it's loud doesn't mean it's fast and just cause it's shiney doesn't mean it's protected.
Semper Fi Forever

Last edited by Pull Ya; 06-02-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driveshaft came off truck.. Xxbrittox 5.7L V8 Specific Topics 13 07-22-2011 01:18 PM
How long before I should Wax or Claybar A new truck? Roman Chariot Washing & Waxing 10 04-24-2011 08:43 AM
Returning member with 2nd truck - 1992 Dodge D250/350 w/ 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel Mavericke Newbie Checkin! 14 03-21-2011 11:19 PM
Wax on the Spoiler Big Daddy Washing & Waxing 11 04-22-2010 09:39 PM
Ontario Dealerships cuda71 Dodge Ram Dealer Issues - VIN and Order Tracking - Dodge Ram MSRP & Pricing Discussion 6 04-07-2010 04:10 PM


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum