DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 08 dodge ram quad cab 1500 4x4
Trim Level: sport
Color: sunburst orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:37
silvermist is on a distinguished road
Default going to drive my truck off a cliff

I swear i'm going to take a can of gas and a match to this truck. I need someones help and advice. i have this issue that seems to be getting worse by the day.

i'll start at teh begining. I have been haveing this side to side move ment issue that I have been trying to get ride of ( wasn't there last year). i hit a bump with the right tire and the truck jerks to the left bad. when I hit a dip in the road the truck felt like it would jump in the direction it was leaning. I figured sway bar end links so i change them. nope not the culprite. so i took it to the dealer to have them look at it. they tell me it is the passanger tie rod end. ok change it nope and now it is getting bad. scary to drive over 60 km/h so I'm thinking shocks. sure enough the driver shock is leaking bad. I'm pissed because the dealer should have cought this as it is only two weeks prier and it looks to have been leaking for a bit. I change the fronts out to monro reflex shocks. now the steering sometimes feels like it isn't turning properly

Ie: i turn to the right and the truck feels like it wants to go straight for a second then leans to turn. the other thing it that now when I hit uneven roads it feels like I'm in a baja truck over accordian roads. the truck seems to bounce the front wheels side to side. like if the frame was twisting. now I have looked at the rear shocks and they don't seem to be leaking, but I haven't taken them off to check. do you think the rears are gone to or that i might just need a wheel alignment or is it something else.

please someone give me some advise. I have only had this truck for a year and I is just pissing me off that I'm always throwing money at it.
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2011, 11:08 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermist View Post
I swear i'm going to take a can of gas and a match to this truck. I need someones help and advice. i have this issue that seems to be getting worse by the day.

i'll start at teh begining. I have been haveing this side to side move ment issue that I have been trying to get ride of ( wasn't there last year). i hit a bump with the right tire and the truck jerks to the left bad. when I hit a dip in the road the truck felt like it would jump in the direction it was leaning. I figured sway bar end links so i change them. nope not the culprite. so i took it to the dealer to have them look at it. they tell me it is the passanger tie rod end. ok change it nope and now it is getting bad. scary to drive over 60 km/h so I'm thinking shocks. sure enough the driver shock is leaking bad. I'm pissed because the dealer should have cought this as it is only two weeks prier and it looks to have been leaking for a bit. I change the fronts out to monro reflex shocks. now the steering sometimes feels like it isn't turning properly

Ie: i turn to the right and the truck feels like it wants to go straight for a second then leans to turn. the other thing it that now when I hit uneven roads it feels like I'm in a baja truck over accordian roads. the truck seems to bounce the front wheels side to side. like if the frame was twisting. now I have looked at the rear shocks and they don't seem to be leaking, but I haven't taken them off to check. do you think the rears are gone to or that i might just need a wheel alignment or is it something else.

please someone give me some advise. I have only had this truck for a year and I is just pissing me off that I'm always throwing money at it.
You have some serious problems well to start off by checking the ball joints cause they're just crappy now. Don't take a truck to anyone do it yourself trust me. Get some books if you have to figure it out.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:16 PM

i usually do the work myself but not sure how to check the ball joints.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:27 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
i usually do the work myself but not sure how to check the ball joints.
jack up the front of the truck and then try to pull and push on the tire from the top and bottom if there is play then there is a bad joint.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the exerts from the service manual -

Quote:
UPPER BALL JOINT DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING

1. Raise the front of the vehicle. Place safety floor stands under both lower control arms as far outboard as possible.
Lower the vehicle to allow the stands to support some or all of the vehicle weight.
2. Remove the front tires.
3. Mount a dial indicator solidly to the frame and then zero the dial indicator.
4. Position dial indicator plunger on the topside of the upper ball joint.
NOTE: The dial indicator plunger must be perpendicular to the machined surface of the ball joint.
NOTE: Use care not to pry or tear the ball joint boot (5), when checking the free play.
5. Position a pry bar between the steering knuckle and the upper control arm. Pry upwards on the upper control
arm.
6. If the travel exceeds 0.5 mm (0.020 in.), replace the upper ball joint

Quote:
LOWER BALL JOINT DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING

1. Raise the front of the vehicle. Place safety floor stands under both lower control arms as far outboard as possible.
Lower the vehicle to allow the stands to support some or all of the vehicle weight.
2. Mount a dial indicator solidly to the topside of the lower control arm and then zero the dial indicator.
3. Position the indicator plunger against the bottom surface of the steering knuckle.
NOTE: The dial indicator plunger must be perpendicular to the machined surface of the steering knuckle.
4. Position a pry bar under the tire assembly. Pry upwards on the tire assembly.
5. If the travel exceeds 0.5 mm (0.020 in.), replace the lower ball joint

If you don't have a dial indicator, the rule of thumb I use...if you notice motion, it's likely out of spec.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 05-30-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
Here are the exerts from the service manual -

If you don't have a dial indicator, the rule of thumb I use...if you notice motion, it's likely out of spec.
Thats pretty much all that I just said in a nutshell. When you take it to a dealer they don't even do whats in the service manual. I deal parts with a local dealer and the manager even told me that there mechanics don't even torque stuff for sakes. Now I don't know if that's every dodge dealership but so far my van has been to 3 different dealerships in 3 different states before I acquired it and I remember all 3 times they never fixed a thing, the only thing that was fixed was when the ECM failed under warranty. But everything else nope. Now I acquired it and I do my own work no matter what it is and nothing has ever failed. Even stuff I fix that's not truck or car, the fridge I fix it and it continues working. I'm good :P

Anyways just check for play. Be sure to torque everything to spec when ever you do any work, if their is a torque spec torque it I don't care if it's a screw to hold the license plate on, torque it. If your truck is taking nose dives then you might want to upgrade the links again with some longer ones and be sure to torque the nuts to 100 inch lbs. If you still have nose dive issues and the truck doesn't feel like it floats then change out the coils, good coils should make a truck float.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:04 AM

why do you think it is the ball joints over anything else
Old 05-31-2011, 12:06 AM

i thought if the ball joints went bad they made clunking noise
Old 05-31-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
why do you think it is the ball joints over anything else
Well I'm not saying it is the ball joints for sure 100% because else wise I wouldn't of said anything about the coils and sway links. But because you state your truck has a pull feeling which is either a ball joint, alignment, or brake/wheel bearing issue. Now I doubt it's the brakes or wheel bearing because you have ABS. Next is the alignment, the alignment can be off because of the ball joint now I am sure the wheel alignment would be fine even if the ball joint is good for example because you have the tie rods replaced and an alignment must be done when that happens. However I know for a fact when you get work done at a shop or anyplace they do you really know if they check the little things? I have had mechanics that added grease and never completely re greased and I know that because when I took my rotors off I could 3 different coloured greases in the hub.

That and ball joints on dodge trucks don't last long for some reason. But I would still check the ball joints you won't know until you check them then we can work from their. I mean you can always go with what you want but checking the little things can rule out a lot of problems in the future.

But anyways, like I said if the truck is taking a nose dive then it's the links or the sway bar it self has lost it's structural strength. If the shocks were bad then you would hop like a rabbit and it would feel like it takes a nose dive. The pulling is must like a bad ball joint and if you have excessive tread wear either inner or outer then the angle is off and it could be again because of the ball joint. If you want to really get rid of your truck then drive it to florida and give it to me, I would love to have a pickup truck. I just couldn't afford one, not even one that don't work.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
i thought if the ball joints went bad they made clunking noise
They do but not in all cases. If it was as simple to diagnose a bad ball joint by sound then why would chrysler bother to make a service manual that tells you how to test for a bad ball joint?