DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-31-2011, 01:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i'd take it to an ALIGNMENT SHOP
good shops will do a complete diagnosis for free
then they hand you the results on a print out
then you either say thank you or have them fix something

ball joints & tie rod ends are the most common issues
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2011, 01:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
i'd take it to an ALIGNMENT SHOP
good shops will do a complete diagnosis for free
then they hand you the results on a print out
then you either say thank you or have them fix something

ball joints & tie rod ends are the most common issues
Yea this is exactly what I'm telling him. Come on guy this is a dodge not a volvo 240. lol.... Anyways yea take it to a shop but not to a dodge dealship because some of them will say you will have to order a new control arm because the ball joint doesn't come seperate. they do this to screw you they tried it with my mom with her ram van but she isn't stupid.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:51 AM

Vehicle: 08 dodge ram quad cab 1500 4x4
Trim Level: sport
Color: sunburst orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:37
silvermist is on a distinguished road

yeah i only took it to the dealer because they where close to my work and will give me a ride to work and pick me up. but i hate dealers for getting work done. they told me my power steering fluid was in need of replaceing after i told them the steering gear was replaced last year and they did a fluid flush.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 AM

i will look at the ball joints tommorrow when i get home from work.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 AM

thank you for the opinions figured it was either the ball joints or the rear shocks
Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 AM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermist View Post
yeah i only took it to the dealer because they where close to my work and will give me a ride to work and pick me up. but i hate dealers for getting work done. they told me my power steering fluid was in need of replaceing after i told them the steering gear was replaced last year and they did a fluid flush.
Yea don't get work done at a dealer. They are horrible they are only good for loosing money. It's ok to buy parts from a dealer but not service. The steer gear I was going to say something about that because you said something about the steering and I Know the steer gears in dodge trucks go bad quite quick. you could of flushed the fluid your self very easy and cheap only cost you the price of a quart of two of new steer fluid. I refuse to let anyone fix my truck, last thing I need is something to fail and I die. That and the people at the dealer do not give a dam about you or your safety not nearly as much as you the driver. So get yourself some wrenches and spend some time taking learning how to DIY. You can not only save time but if you want it done best you got to DIY. Well keep me posted after you check the ball joints.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermist View Post
thank you for the opinions figured it was either the ball joints or the rear shocks
Yea rear shocks I don't think so but replacing them don't hurt. Only thing shocks do it prevent the car from hopping up and down. If you want unless your truck has it already is to custom install a rear anti roll bar, those are nice give you great stability especially when towing and not only that but it gives a very solid feeling to the drive
Old 05-31-2011, 02:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Deepwater Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
rdrckt is on a distinguished road

Here is my two cents. After you looked at everything that was suggested look hard at all of the steering components...I look at mine tomorrow to see exactly how its built. My guess would be that something is loose or worn in the steering..like why it goes straight THEN leans into the turn. Even check the steering fluid, if its low you could possibly get air and when you turn the fluid is under pressure so if there is air it will compress to the pressure of the fluid trying to make it move (hence going straight then turning.) All of the joints like people have suggested would most likely give you a "shaky" feeling. And also if low fluid or something internal with the steering is wrong it is not something you wold readily see when the truck is off and on a rack.
Hoep this helsp and let me know what is the problem because I am curious myslef.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrckt View Post
Here is my two cents. After you looked at everything that was suggested look hard at all of the steering components...I look at mine tomorrow to see exactly how its built. My guess would be that something is loose or worn in the steering..like why it goes straight THEN leans into the turn. Even check the steering fluid, if its low you could possibly get air and when you turn the fluid is under pressure so if there is air it will compress to the pressure of the fluid trying to make it move (hence going straight then turning.) All of the joints like people have suggested would most likely give you a "shaky" feeling. And also if low fluid or something internal with the steering is wrong it is not something you wold readily see when the truck is off and on a rack.
Hoep this helsp and let me know what is the problem because I am curious myslef.
The truck can pull to the side on it's own if your steering angle is off which can also occur from a ball joint. Yes a bad ball joint could give you some what a shaky feel but not everything wears evenly. Anyways I wouldn't worry much about the steer fluid because the gear has a return line so over time air will find it's way out. I would bank my money on the joints because he had the gear box replaced and flushed he also have the tie rods replaced and at the same time the steering angle was adjusted however you can only adjust the angle with the car stationary however feelings of drive don't occur stationary most occur at higher speeds. Anyways just check the balls joints mostly. The springs should be fine typically they only need replacing every 8 years DEPENDING on how you drive.