DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
bmcfaden is on a distinguished road
Default Trailer wiring help - park/tail light

I have an '05 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 and am trying to hook up the trailer wiring. My truck came with the 4 wire setup pre-installed. There is no power coming to the brown park/tail light wire, but there is power to the hazard, brake and turn signal lighting. It s 4 wire setup. Any ideas?
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Check Fuse #33 (20A) and the wiring connector on the back of the trailer tow connector. If those are good, check if the park lamp relay in the IPM 'clicks' when the lights are turned on. If it doesn't click, swap it with another relay for testing purposes. If there is still no click, then you will likely need to replace the FCM module.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 06-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks Brad! I did find that fuse last night and it was bad. I replaced and am now struggling with the 15A fused for the right/left turn signals blowing. My guess is that somehow I have wires crossed in the transition from thr 4way to 6way setup. Need to get more fused and reconnect it all.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Just some guy in Canada

brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the fuses aren't blowing with everything disconnected, then you know the problem is after the truck....else, it could be a real big problem.

Good luck, and keep us posted as to how you make out.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 06-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

OK, no truck issue on my fuses! That said, I have checked the continuity of the wiring from the front of trailer to end and all checked fine. I did find an issue where the green wire wasn't wired in properly on the right tail light, I adjusted. Now I have the tail lights, brake lights and left signal working. Right signal just has both tail lights blinking and hazards have the tail lights blinking in an alternating fashion. I am guessing I need to trace the green wiring?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
warwatson is on a distinguished road

I just had the same issue. I ran a seperate ground from the tail lights to the main ground in the center of the trailer and presto, it wourked like a charm.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Laramie 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:55
wylie will become famous soon enough
Default trailer lights

Bmcfaden does not have a ground issue. He has a short. Check and see if you have continuity from green to yellow on the truck or the trailer. It should NOT be on either. If it is shorted on the trailer it would cause the truck to be infected with the problem,,,,so work on one at a time with the trailer wiring disconnected from the truck. That way you are not chasing a phantom problem.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcfaden View Post
OK, no truck issue on my fuses! That said, I have checked the continuity of the wiring from the front of trailer to end and all checked fine. I did find an issue where the green wire wasn't wired in properly on the right tail light, I adjusted. Now I have the tail lights, brake lights and left signal working. Right signal just has both tail lights blinking and hazards have the tail lights blinking in an alternating fashion. I am guessing I need to trace the green wiring?
This is definitely a problem in the trailer wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylie View Post
Bmcfaden does not have a ground issue. He has a short. Check and see if you have continuity from green to yellow on the truck or the trailer. It should NOT be on either. If it is shorted on the trailer it would cause the truck to be infected with the problem,,,,so work on one at a time with the trailer wiring disconnected from the truck. That way you are not chasing a phantom problem.
This is an excellent suggestion. Also check that the correct bulbs are installed, and installed the right way (sometimes an 1157 bulb will install upside down), and the check the lamp sockets to ensure the contact section is in the right place....I have seen them turn slightly, which can cause the short that wylie mentioned.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Laramie 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:55
wylie will become famous soon enough
Default bulbs

AH YES the famous 1157 bulb with the staggered bayonet pins,,,a PITA,,,not to mention the bulb coming loose in the base. The new plastic base with wire is great but you have to see that they get pushed in all the way till it snaps,,,but it is still better. If you bite the bullet and buy potted LED fixtures for your trailers AND run a ground wire on each side of the trailer all the way up to the white wire on the trailer connector, about 99% of all theses BS gremlins with trailer lights go away and stay there. LED's last a long, long time and do not pop if you back them in the water.