DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

nice write up bud...ill add to your reps for that
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2011, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT- Lonestar
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:188
wolfman10 has a spectacular aura aboutwolfman10 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57hemisport View Post
wrong pic.
heres the one...
Yeah getting to the bolt was easy but I was talking about the blind nut, that was the hard part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOZER View Post
Any particular reason you went with the HD's and not the 5100's? Just curious. I have a set of 5100's and an HBS 2" leveling kit waiting for my new wheels and tires.
I have a 2wd not a 4wd.

My Build: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=86853
Old 06-04-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinuminjected View Post
nice write up bud...ill add to your reps for that
Thanks I appreciate it.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:26 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:140
DOZER will become famous soon enoughDOZER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DOZER Send a message via Skype™ to DOZER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman10 View Post
Yeah getting to the bolt was easy but I was talking about the blind nut, that was the hard part.

I have a 2wd not a 4wd.

Gotcha just thought one may have been a better choice than the other.
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:56 PM

Yeah if those would work on the truck and give me a couple more inches of lift I would've.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram !500 Laramie 4x4
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
henryj1978 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman10 View Post
I finally got around to installing the shocks I had order. Here is a simple write up.

I started with the rears thinking they would be easier, but that really turned out to not be true. So jack up the truck and put jack-stands under the frame so that you can remove the tires release the load on the suspension. Once you get to that point you will need a crescent wrench and a 13/16 socket w/ a ratchet wrench to remove the bolts. Go ahead and remove the the lower bolt by using the wrenches injunction. Don't worry about the shock it shouldn't shoot out, it's not like a spring. After that you will need a buddy with skinny hands and arms to reach the blind nut that it at the top of the shock mount. To make it easy on your arms you may also want to remove several of the screws that hold the wheel well liner in place so that you can get the socket in place and to remove the bolt. Once the bolt is removed I would use some white grease to put on the bushings and the sleeves that run in the bushings just to make sure nothing squeaks. Just a personal preference. After that bolt everything back up do the same for the other side, mount the tires and the rear is done.

Move on the the front, do the same thing jack it up and place jack-stand on the frame, remove tires. After all that is done you will need to use two crescent wrenches to remove the top nut off of the shock, one to hold the piston in place to keep it from spinning and the other the remove the nut. Once that is done you will need I think it was either a 13mm or 14mm one of those too to remove the two bolts from the bottom of the shock. After that slide the shock out and spray the new shock with white grease and bolt the bottom up. NOW, if you have a leveling kit on your truck you will run in to this problem as I did, you will not be able to get the nut to come close to the threads without a load on the suspension. SO, mount the tires back and a slowly lower the truck back down towards where it puts a load on the suspension and compress the spring so that you can tighten the nut on top of the shock. Once you get to that point make sure the the bushings is lined up in the whole correctly. After that take the two wrenches and tighten down the nut. Mount the tires and remove the jack and you are done!

As for quality, these shocks make the truck feel like it is riding on glass. No more feeling every little crack or slowing down to a snail's pace to make it over speed bumps, dips and humps. I would recommend these to anyone.

I'm trying my best to keep the pictures in order. Also there are these little thin lock rings on some of the lugs that hold the wheel on and make it very hard to pull it off, do your self a favor as I did and take them off. One on of the pictures look at the front oem shock and see how the bushings are ordered you will need to repeat this with the new bushings.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the write up. I Have a 2010 1500 Laramie 4x4. My front strurt looks diffrent. Has anyone done those. How difficult was it