DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-31-2011, 11:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 SLT 4WD
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
newdude22 is on a distinguished road
Default Dear lighting gurus :

I had an 07 dakota and my 09 ram suffers from the same crappy headlights. I'm not sure of the wattage of the ram, but on the dakota, the headlights were 45/65w and the fog lights were 100w each. When driving with the low beams on, you get 45W (times 2) plus 200w-ish for the fog lights for a total of 290w. Turn on the high beams, lose the fog lights and watch the wattage drop to 65w (times 2) or 130w. Can't see very far and it's pitch black in front of the truck for the first 30 feet. On a 91 Camaro that i owned, a simple relay swap overrode the fog light disconnect and kept them on with the high beams for outstanding vision on dark streets. (providing nobody was coming at you of course).

Which relay kills the fog lights, and what else does it control ? Is there anyway to swap it for one to keep the fog lights without losing something critical ?

I never figured it out on my dakota because there weren't any good internet forums in 97, and it was waaaay more advanced electronically than my 91 Chevy.

Somebody here can figure it out for sure. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2011, 03:26 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

There is no relays in the rams anymore, everything's controlled by the TPCM. I know about your lighting woes, I finally had to install HIDs cuz the stock lighting is so poor, and when I installed the fogs I added them onto a separate switch in the cab so I can turn them on anytime.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 SLT 4WD
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
newdude22 is on a distinguished road

My 350 z was the first vehicle i ever had with HID's. When you turned them on i swear you they sounded like a light saber from star wars as power surged through the ballast/transformer thingys. Shortly after trying to use the 350z as a daily driver I realized that just one grain of sand/ one drop of rain/ one speck of ice on the road and the 350z wanted to be in the ditch. I was so spoiled by the headlights I bought a Murano as the everyday car. It was just as impressive at nighttime and i could never go back to "bulbs". YUCK!!!!!!!!! The lights on the Ram seemed really reflective during the day at the dealer and I figured they probably finally fixed the ages old crappy dodge lights. Nope.........
The foglights are so bright they are almost obnoxious and the brights are so dim that nothing better jump out in front of me because I'll never see it in time. I have a mortgage and 2 small kids now so I can't responsibly spend money upgrading to HID's, as much as I'd love to.

I guess I could hardwire the foglights onto their own switch, but I will NEVER remember to manually turn them off when I get home.

Is there a way to reprogram the TPCM or CPU ? maybe with a flash of some sort ?