DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Location: I live in 3 places in this world. Atikokan, Ontario. Canada./Larkspur, California/Waikiki, Hawaii
Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram(Conversion) Van
Trim Level: Conversion
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Wolfwasp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolfwasp
Default Oil pressure question

Greetings friends,
I took my van in because the oil pressure guage was dropping to "0" then jumping back up to normal at stop lights and when idling.
The mechanic removed the light indicator wires from the "sending unit?" then he removed the unit and screwed in a pressure guage and said that he thought the pressure was low.
He wondered if there was another place to check the pressure. He looked but didn't find anything. I told him about the ForumZ and he said to ask if there was another place to check the oil pressure other than the one at the back of the motor (the one with the wires that go to the guage)

He changed the oil with 20W50 and the needle on the guage doesn't do that anymore....so far. I drove it for about 50 miles after I left the shop but I am not comfortable with that fix. I prefer to use 10W30 which I have used for years.
Does anyone know of another place to check oil pressure other than the one that I described.
I much appreciate any suggestions.
Best Regards,
Wolfwasp
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwasp View Post
Greetings friends,
I took my van in because the oil pressure guage was dropping to "0" then jumping back up to normal at stop lights and when idling.
The mechanic removed the light indicator wires from the "sending unit?" then he removed the unit and screwed in a pressure guage and said that he thought the pressure was low.
He wondered if there was another place to check the pressure. He looked but didn't find anything. I told him about the ForumZ and he said to ask if there was another place to check the oil pressure other than the one at the back of the motor (the one with the wires that go to the guage)

He changed the oil with 20W50 and the needle on the guage doesn't do that anymore....so far. I drove it for about 50 miles after I left the shop but I am not comfortable with that fix. I prefer to use 10W30 which I have used for years.
Does anyone know of another place to check oil pressure other than the one that I described.
I much appreciate any suggestions.
Best Regards,
Wolfwasp
The only place to check oil pressure is to remove that sending unit thats it. THe sending unit is located next to the distributor on the right side of the rear of the engine.

Anyways if you are reading low oil pressure you may want to have the oil pump replaced, you can get a upgraded one which has 25% more flow.

Take some pics of the van, I have a conversion van too. I have a 95 and had a 02 or 03 I forgot.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 06-01-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:02 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Also how many miles are on the van?
Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Location: I live in 3 places in this world. Atikokan, Ontario. Canada./Larkspur, California/Waikiki, Hawaii

Thank you ramvan2500. I will print this out and take with me. I'm going in today for brakes and the continuing saga of the oil pressure guage.
I will take some pictures of my van soon.
Would love to find out about your 2500 series too.
Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Thank you ramvan2500. I will print this out and take with me. I'm going in today for brakes and the continuing saga of the oil pressure guage.
I will take some pictures of my van soon.
Would love to find out about your 2500 series too.
Thanks again.
It's not a problem. Whenever you need help have questions about your van ask me. I do all my own work on my van. I just done a load of work to get it working after it was sitting for 5 years. A brake job was one of the things I did to my van but I replaced alot, calipers, pads, hardware, wheel cylinders, rear brake hose, rear brake lines, and just a ton load of more work. But yea any questions you got about my van just ask. I have pics up on a thread I started after I did a compound and wax treatment.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Mileage is 196K. I bought it at 150K and have been doing everything the last guy should have. But I don't mind. It was in good shape cosmetically and it is a project/hobby for me. (Kind of expen$$$ive tho....)
I had the heads replaced because it wouldn't pass SMOG and there were only 2 valves that looked suspect. And it still wouldn't pass SMOG. Turned out it was a faulty coil sending crazy and different messages to the computer. It has been a lot of fun fixing it up since the coil was replaced.
We moved to California a few years ago and I am about 30 minutes from Napa and the same to SF, so when people come to visit I become the chauffeur / wine country guide / designated driver / butler / etc. etc. I really enjoy it.
It is a great way for 4-6 people to get around California.
I will definitely take some pictures from now on.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Mileage is 196K. I bought it at 150K and have been doing everything the last guy should have. But I don't mind. It was in good shape cosmetically and it is a project/hobby for me. (Kind of expen$$$ive tho....)
I had the heads replaced because it wouldn't pass SMOG and there were only 2 valves that looked suspect. And it still wouldn't pass SMOG. Turned out it was a faulty coil sending crazy and different messages to the computer. It has been a lot of fun fixing it up since the coil was replaced.
We moved to California a few years ago and I am about 30 minutes from Napa and the same to SF, so when people come to visit I become the chauffeur / wine country guide / designated driver / butler / etc. etc. I really enjoy it.
It is a great way for 4-6 people to get around California.
I will definitely take some pictures from now on.
Hehe, I wonder who ripped you off with the heads because changing heads wouldn't make two hoots and a fig with inspection. If you changed the Catalytic you would do much better but the dodge vans that have a EGR valve will always have a high NoX reading. Having the heads replaced was still good but it would of been the same as if you did a valve job which would of cost you 100+ bucks only because you would have to replace gaskets. Anyways though if your ever in florida just give me a hollar and bring the van by and I'll fix it for you for free minus parts of course. Anyways, I'm lucky I don't have inspection where I live but I still have to replace my muffler and cat soon. My muffler is ready to split down the middle but for 16 years it is going to happen.

Anyways with your low oil pressure I am quite sure your pump is the issue, I thought for a second maybe his bearings are done with but I'm thinking only 196K miles I've seen vans with over 300K with the original bearings that and the van would make some horrible sounds.

It's going to be the driver as long as they tip you lol.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 06-01-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

oops
must have posted by accident.
I am off to get the brakes done at 2 . Will get back to you tho ,,, and thanks for the help.. its good to have an ally when you own a conversion!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
oops
must have posted by accident.
I am off to get the brakes done at 2 . Will get back to you tho ,,, and thanks for the help.. its good to have an ally when you own a conversion!
You're welcome, any time. You're right about the conversion van ally thing. Hard to find conversion parts but vans parts easy etc... I do all my own work even with the interior so if something breaks I have to make it myself, especially since the company who converted my van went out of business years ago.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I hear ya, the guys that did mine went out of business too. I'm looking for matching window blinds. I'm missing a couple for the small windows. I found a place in San Fran but their prices are crazy.
I had to leave the van at the shop yesterday. The brakes were no problem but the tie rod ends are loose so I figured I better get that done. Should be ready today, but now I need an alignment. Never ends.
I am waiting till this stuff is done then I am blasting off for Canada. I have a cabin up there. Its for sale but the market is not great so I will probably stay till Fall. Fishing is good tho. 2400 miles door to door. Come on up if you want to take that van for a good long spin.
I have satellite internet up there so I will be online again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo06011532.jpg (88.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Photo06011518.jpg (84.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Photo06011532_1.jpg (105.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Photo06011530.jpg (96.4 KB, 4 views)