DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew w/Rambox
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:36
moose3 is on a distinguished road

I emailed the clowns at Bak this morning at 8 AM, still haven't heard back. I called at noon talked to someone in customer service, told him what was going on, and he said well I will have a "senior tech" call you back when they get back in. Well as you guessed it, they never called. So tonight I decided I would fix it myself, I have the equipment to rework their crappy build quality. I took ALL the catch brackets off and narrowed them up a 1/8" each on my big belt sander. Repainted them. But the crappy plastic latches catch on edge of the aluminum. If they would have used a quality stainless latch they would not dig in. The digging in wasn't a big issue until the very back were the you can pull the release cable to get the panels to drop down. So I will be removing them again, and putting a VERY slight radius on them, then I am going to blast them, so the paint won't wear off were the latches rub.

I will pop off some more pictures so you all can see what it takes to make a Bakflip work. Then you can make your own decisions to never buy one.
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2011, 02:12 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2wd Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Rep:10
P Rod is on a distinguished road

I can understand your flustration, spending $900 for something that does not fit. Personally I would have been a little more patience and gave BAK a chance to make things right. I would have just sent it back and have them send you the right one or refund you your money before I tried to modify the top. Don't get me wrong I would have still been pissed off but I would have given them a chance before I Slammed them on this forum. It might have been a simple packaging mistake and they gave you a standard bed cover instead of the Rambox cover that you ordered. I can't speak about the quality of the hardware, but they must be doing something right. Made in USA must mean something.
From all the reviews I have read about the Bakflip I would say most if not all were positive. I still plan on ordering mine very soon.... Good luck with yours.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:28 AM

I will be very honest in how I portray my experience. This is the top I wanted since before I started looking for a truck to buy. The videos are trully deceiving, my top doesn't function by simply flipping the panels over like the videos, not yet anyways.

Lets be honest, if you call technical services with an installation issue, those are priority issues, deciding if they want to offer a replacement is a different issue. I run a motorcycle shop if I have an accessory that isn't installing as is, I call tech. If you can get anywhere with tech, you figure it out. If this was your truck and you took it to a shop to have it installed, how would you feel if when you went to get your truck they told you well, we have to wait for them to reply, hopefully it will be today, or tomorrow, or else we are looking at having your truck over the weekend. Thats crap.

I want everyone to be aware of what is involved in fitting it. Because most people don't have the ability to remanufacture there kit.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:23 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose3 View Post
I will be very honest in how I portray my experience. This is the top I wanted since before I started looking for a truck to buy. The videos are trully deceiving, my top doesn't function by simply flipping the panels over like the videos, not yet anyways.

Lets be honest, if you call technical services with an installation issue, those are priority issues, deciding if they want to offer a replacement is a different issue. I run a motorcycle shop if I have an accessory that isn't installing as is, I call tech. If you can get anywhere with tech, you figure it out. If this was your truck and you took it to a shop to have it installed, how would you feel if when you went to get your truck they told you well, we have to wait for them to reply, hopefully it will be today, or tomorrow, or else we are looking at having your truck over the weekend. Thats crap.

I want everyone to be aware of what is involved in fitting it. Because most people don't have the ability to remanufacture there kit.

I totally agree with you. Nothing frustrates me more than waiting for a call/email back from tech. And then when they don't call/email you it just adds to your level of frustration.
IMHO I would not have altered the cover (you've probably voided the warranty as a result).
It's nice to install things on your own, it's also nice to have the part installed - so you can go back to them if there's anything wrong with the part (like it not fitting, as in your case.)

I paid $75 to have my cover installed on my GMC - a small price to pay for piece of mind. Had I installed it myself, I likely would have had a much more difficult time getting the cover repaired/replaced under warranty.

The BakFlip isn't the best cover out there for the price they charge (but that is my opinion only, and I get to have an opinion.)

I think BakFlip really cinched out with some of their parts. Parts that you can buy at your local lumber yard! Heck... even Walmart!

Just my 2
Old 06-03-2011, 03:14 PM

Well I didn't alter the cover at all, just the catch brackets, they cut them out of angle aluminum, I just cut them down a little more. The top is untouched.

Heck I tried to purchase the cover through my dealer as part of the original purchase, and they were stuck on $1500 for the cover UNINSTALLED. I got it for $780 shipped to my door after a CC rebate. So I could have bought two covers for what they would have wanted for one installed. And if a dealer got the same cover I did, they most likely would have done the same thing. I have mechanics install accessories on motorcycles daily and if something doesn't fit you work at it until it does. You only send it back if you can't figure out a relatively easy way to make it work.