DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Infekt is on a distinguished road
Default Muffler Part Numbers

Hey All, I have been tossing around what I want to do with the exhaust on the beast.

I priced out a 5 inch magnaflow cat back for 570. plus tax. But I got a wedding coming up, which is going to cost so I am thinking of trying to reduce that price. Not like im going to get a huge gain with the cat back, just some nice tips and a good sound.

On my Dakota I had flowmaster 40 series. Which sounded great but were Droany and a bit louder then the wife likes. I am aiming for a happy medium to make the wife happy. I want a good sound when I step on it, to know its a Hemi. But when im driving around town id like it a bit quieter.

Any suggestions? Part numbers would be great, as I can price out pieces with my parts guys. Plus a part number for a new Y pipe that people recomend from Magnaflow would be awesome to. I know if I search I can probably find some part numbers, but Im at work and wont be able to really look on the site, as I will get in trouble by the IT dept...

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Are you sure 5"?? Is that the tip size, or muffler size? If that's the exhaust pipe you'll lose power with that. I'd recommend the magnaflow Y pipe (#10778) and just replacing the stock mufler with an 18" magnaflow (18" will be a little quieter than 14"). If you have the factory dual pipes in the back, I believe you need the 3" single in/2.25" dual out muffler (#12278) and if you have a single tailpipe it will be 3" single in/3" single out muffler (#11249 for oval). They won't be a clamp on install, you'll have to go to a muffler shop, probably cost you like $300 with parts. This will probably give you better results than the cat back (due to adding the y pipe). It's basically the same thing as the cat back kit, plus the y pipe. Hope this helps.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

A new y-pipe and the cat back system is the best option overall but also more expensive. You can buy the cat back for about $521 delivered and the y-pipe should be $30 or less. If you can sell your stock exhaust, it takes away some of the pain of that cost but with no guarantees you can do that, you have to plan on paying for all of it. The 5" tips that come with the cat back look AWESOME and sold separately would cost you $100+ each. So figure that into your equation. If you want them, it is a good deal. If you don't, then it is not. The nice part about this setup is that it is all stainless steel and has a great warranty from Magnaflow. If possible, have it welded in. If not, their bolt-on system is pretty damn good. Install for this system could cost you $150-300 depending on which local shop you use. I had mine done for $180 labor. See this link for more info on this setup --> http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=84922. BlackRamHemi gives you more info than you need and was the person who convinced me to go cat back and I thank him for that. No regrets.

To achieve a similar sound setup, get the muffler and y-pipe using the part numbers snrusnak gave above. I don't think the pipe sizes he gave are correct but check to be sure. I know it is 3" at the y-pipe and into the muffler but I think the dual out is 2.25" or 2.5" Anyway, he is giving the proper info to do your research. Those two parts should cost you less than $150 total (including shipping) if you shop on-line. Install will probably run you less than $200 but again, that depends on which shop you use. Call as many as you can but always make they can weld it in for you. Nobody gives a better description of this process than 916Timmy on his thread at --> http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=71908. He is a great source.

Either way, you win. Take pics, vids if you can, and show everyone the before and after. Good luck!
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna

Last edited by Razorbass; 08-05-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:22 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
I don't think the pipe sizes he gave are correct but check to be sure. I know it is 3" at the y-pipe and into the muffler but I think the dual out is 2.25" or 2.5"
Isn't that what I said? lol

Old 08-05-2011, 09:23 PM

I agree though before ordering anything crawl under and check...I agree timmy and blackramhemi are probably the most knowledgeable on the 4th gens...

Old 08-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Isn't that what I said? lol
Yes, you did. I read it wrong. Sorry man, obviously my Friday night beer goggles don't fit properly!
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Old 08-05-2011, 09:50 PM

lol no problem, my whiskey goggles are probably worse....haha

Old 08-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 1500
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:10
Infekt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Are you sure 5"?? .
Ya that was the tip size, sorry posting from work I was in a hurry! I love the look of the 5 inch tips, but its not a must. Im more about the sound then anything. I hate that when I get home at night, the wife says, "didnt even know you got home".....

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I hate that when I get home at night, the wife says, "didnt even know you got home"
I try for this....never works...

Old 08-06-2011, 12:42 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Grey Metalic
Rep:41
Lothario80 is on a distinguished road

Just installed an 18" magnaflow with the 2.25 outs. The shop said it was the correct one for my application however they also said a 2.5 would have worked but a couple adapters would have been required.