DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road
Talking Newest MOD: Recon 3rd brake light

Here is my newest mod. I really like how it looks with the rest of the black by the back windows. Let me know what you think.

brick samples @ Brittney Manor 009.JPG before

brick samples @ Brittney Manor 010.JPG after
Old 06-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: White
Rep:213
candy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura about

Sweet!
Got some extra dark lamin-x layin around. Just been too lazy to do the 3rd brake and tailights. You just motivated me!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Looks great. I have the same one, good choice !!!!!!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

Oh, the light is what you were talking about. Sorry, couldn't get my eyes off the sticker.
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Old 06-08-2011, 01:17 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough

hows it look at night compared to the other break lights? is it still as bright? I like that look too, and it appears we have the same color truck!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:42 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4X4
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:110
RAMTX will become famous soon enoughRAMTX will become famous soon enough

looks nice. good MOD.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:08 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram CC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Cherry Pearl
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
northernblue is on a distinguished road

Great mod. The only thing I'm not sure about is making lighting less visible when you tint it down, both headlights and brake lights. Where did you get that window sticker?
2 1/2" Ready Lift Level, Wrangler Duratrac 275 65 20, 18" Magnaflow, K&N drop in filter, SS nerf bars, spray in bedliner, Mopar 4 piece tonneau cover, Mopar brake controller, Mopar Ram mud flaps, 20% tint, WeatherTech floor liners
Old 06-08-2011, 08:26 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT/Laraime
Color: Red/Silver
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:14
SPC.Brinkmeyer is on a distinguished road

looks good man... nice sticker... and if yall are worried about the light output just give it a light tint of VHT Nightshade or Rustolium lens tint... scuff it with like 2000 grit clean it then spray it... bake it for like 10 min so you dont have to wait all day and it hardens the paint a lil re paint as many times as you like to get the darkness you like using same steps then wetsand with 2k grit and clear it... then buff with buffing compound and shines like glass...
im pretty sure thats the steps i was told... i can get them if ya want them but i think thats fairly close from memory
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road

The brake light portion is very bright LED lights and there is no prob seeing them in the bright sunshine, however the cargo light section is fairly dim but really who uses that very often anyway? I have the bakflip cover so I will in the future install some LED's in the bed to shine in there... It comes already smoke tinted right from Recon lighting so it's very easy to install and only around $100 including shipping... The sticker I found on the internet somewhere, I can't remember where but I did make a copy of it so I can get it replaced in the event it peels off or whatever..
Old 06-08-2011, 09:37 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT/Laraime
Color: Red/Silver
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:14
SPC.Brinkmeyer is on a distinguished road

wow a hundred bucks for a 3rd brake light cover... i was talking about spray tinting the lens on it and you could leave the cargo lights clear or hit them with less tint or however you wanted this way... heres the directions i was given to spray tint my tails in the dakota
first use 800grit to sand down the entire light, get rid of bumps, seams, lettering, whatveer.. then smooth it all out with 1000 grit wet sand with a little drop of dishsoap.. clean it really well.. i used mineral spirits.

time to paint..
read the instructions on the can.. light even coats.. take your TIME.. do not rush this let it consume the whole day if you need to.

once you put the amount of coats you watn on.. bake in the oven.. cookie sheet.. middle of the oven.. about 110-150 degrees for about 5-10 minutes.. CHECK OFTEN>> ALL OVENS ARE DIFFERENT SO MAKE SURE YOUR NOT MELTING YOUR LIGHTS.

take them out of the oven.. do not touch the paint and let it cool to room temp.. usually take about 15 20 minutes...i waited until the next day.. but you should be able to wet sand at 1000 -1500 grit with dishsoap to get rid of the orange peel or fish eyes that may have popped up during the panting.. dont be a pussy about this.. you can always recoat if you sand throu the paint to the red lens... and sanding throu baked paint is harder then one might think.. BUT IT IS POSSIBLE so be CAREFUL on rounded or pointed edges and dont be a moron and sand in many different directions.. keep it neat and organized. once you have the black basecoat smooth as you like..(wet it and hold it in the ling to seek out imperfection and spots to address).. clean and dry it with water.. dont use mineral sprits or it can take off the paint. MAKE SURE ITS F_ING DRY!

now bust out the clear coat.. I used a duplicolor variety.... follow the directions on the can.. if you have never cleared anything.. its like painting but..heavier.. you have to be heavy with clear to get an even coat but NOT SO HEAVY that it runs and sags.. its a fine line to walk.. so i suggest PRACTICE... and if you suck at it do light coats.. its just gonna take longer..

a little trick i like to do is hit it with a good coat and then immediately hit it with heat from a heat gun.. it solidifies the coat preventing and runs.. allowing you to get about 2 good coats on quicklly..
once you put the proper amount of coats on. time to bake again..

oven.. middle rack.. cookie sheet. 110 - 150.. 5 - 15+ minutes depending on how many coats WATCH THEM! DONT TAKE A POOP YOU WILL FORGET ND MELT YOUR LIGHTS!

take them out.. let them cool.. and feast your eyes on the black glory of depth and sheen you created..

well your not done.. get the 1500-2000 grit out and smooth out the biubbles orange peel fish eyes that may have come up.. this time BE A PUSSY.. massage it out dont beat it down.. DONT GOUGE AND DONTZ GO IN ALL DIRECTIONS neat and organized will make it look better and easier to polish out.. "polish?"

once your all sanded with 2000 grit.. go to the wal mart and buy some 3M perfect it II polishing compound.. you have a buffer? awesome go to town.. you dont? neither did I.. get that elbow warmed up.. essentially you want to buff the piss out of the clear so that you HEAT it up and it melts into a sheet of slippery smoothness.

clean the excess.. let them air out and harden for a day or so and install..

ENJOY!

**you can sand the black between coats.. but you have to let it dry completely.. if your having a problem area with orange peel and fish eyes then you will NEED to do this but if you clean it properly you should be OK..

and heres a thread to how his tails look by using this method just take the space out between dakota and usa when you copy to your browser bar
http://www.dakota usa.com/vBulletin/...e-tinted-tails.