DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm sure its already been said in this thread but -

65RFE - When in "Drive" its the same as the 545RFE trans. 5 Forward gears. When Placed in ERS mode, you get the use of overdrive whereas the 2011 models wouldn't allow it. The transmissions are identical in everyway, Dodge just reprogrammed the TCM to allow overdrive to make people "think" its a 6 speed.

66RFE - is a "real" 6 speed, with 6 forward gears at all times. Not relying on a weak 2 prime gear as a forward gear ratio. Pretty much everything you said above, just a less HD Version of the 68RFE.
I think you have it confused a bit.

545rfe - technically a six speed + reverse, but only 5 gears are used in normal upshifting. It has an extra second gear (2nd prime) for downshifting. 2nd prime can be accessed in other ways as well though (tow/haul mode, manual shifting).

65rfe - same as 545rfe but reprogrammed to use all 6 gears in normal driving upshifting.

66rfe - basically a 68rfe in 45rfe/545rfe casing.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2011, 10:28 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:527
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I think you have it confused a bit.

545rfe - technically a six speed + reverse, but only 5 gears are used in normal upshifting. It has an extra second gear (2nd prime) for downshifting. 2nd prime can be accessed in other ways as well though (tow/haul mode, manual shifting).

65rfe - same as 545rfe but reprogrammed to use all 6 gears in normal driving upshifting.

66rfe - basically a 68rfe in 45rfe/545rfe casing.
I think I know what 99Ram2500's point is

You can pretty much replicate how a 65RFE operates (6 forward gears) if you have a 545RFE.

Start out in ERS mode (in order to use 2nd prime), and manually switch it to D (exit ERS mode) to gain the extra overdrive gear once you get up to 5th.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Old 09-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport RCSB
Color: Black
Rep:27
mgh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You guys had a nice little debate while I was asleep....lol

mgh: I'm certainly no expert on TC's but I'm pretty sure higher torque output gives higher stall. So would more of a load (lower numerical gearing, heavier vehicle...). This just makes sense being that a TC is a fluid coupler.
Here we go. The more torque an engine creates the easier it is to overcome the fluid pressure between the turbine and the housing leading to the vehicle moving. That is also why dodge puts a higher stall TC in the 4.7 than the 5.7. Many 3rd gen 5.7 guys tried running 4.7 TCs as a cheap higher stall TC.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:02 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Here we go. The more torque an engine creates the easier it is to overcome the fluid pressure between the turbine and the housing leading to the vehicle moving. That is also why dodge puts a higher stall TC in the 4.7 than the 5.7. Many 3rd gen 5.7 guys tried running 4.7 TCs as a cheap higher stall TC.
Alright like I said I'm not an expert, but from what I know of fluid dynamics it makes sense to me that a pump that's coupled to a turbine by fluid would spin faster/easier to a higher rpm before stalling with an engine with higher output compared to an engine with lower output....

The guys at APS, Edge, and Circle D also said that the 4.7L with less output would stall at a lower rpm compared to the same converter in the 5.7L.

I don't know that much about converters though but this just makes sense in my mind...

I've also heard mixed things about different converters between the 4.7 and 5.7....some say they are different, some say they are the same...

Old 09-22-2011, 11:13 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:527
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

I've also heard mixed things about different converters between the 4.7 and 5.7....some say they are different, some say they are the same...
x2

My mopar parts guy may be mistaken, but I had him looking up different stock TC's for a 10' 4G Ram and he said the 4.7/5.7 was the same and the R/T was the only higher stall.

if that's not the case, I apologize.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Old 09-22-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
x2

My mopar parts guy may be mistaken, but I had him looking up different stock TC's for a 10' 4G Ram and he said the 4.7/5.7 was the same and the R/T was the only higher stall.

if that's not the case, I apologize.
That's what I've found as well, however the guys at circle d (the experts you could say) said they are different....so I don't know what to believe.

I honestly think they are the same as mine flashes at about 2000 rpm, and from what you and other's post the hemi's flash at about 2,200 rpm or so. Makes sense to me as I think the lower output engine would make it flash lower...

Old 09-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Alright like I said I'm not an expert, but from what I know of fluid dynamics it makes sense to me that a pump that's coupled to a turbine by fluid would spin faster/easier to a higher rpm before stalling with an engine with higher output compared to an engine with lower output....

You are right, but you have the process backwards. For a TC, stall RPM is how many RPMs it takes to couple the turbine to the housing to get the vehicle to move. So, if you are making more power you need a TC that will lock up later than one for lesser power. That is why the larger TC companies quote an RPM range when they sell a TC, that way they have a power range covered.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:46 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Ram2500 View Post
66RFE - is a "real" 6 speed, with 6 forward gears at all times. Not relying on a weak 2 prime gear as a forward gear ratio. Pretty much everything you said above, just a less HD Version of the 68RFE.
That is correct, and both 66RFE and 68RFE have the same gear ratio and both are heavy duty transmissions. As far as I can tell, the only difference in strength is the 68RFE has a larger converter and pump (to run cooler imo). Other than that they both have the same beefy parts. The main reason for this post was to show the similarities between the two in order for everyone to get an idea of the compatibility with our 1500 trucks. Being that the valve body is the same as the 545RFE there are Sharadon stage 11 and 111 545RFE valve bodies among others that will work on these transmissions. Second, all of them are controlled by the TCM in the same manner making it a good posibility to modify it for use in the 1500 models for those interested.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:14 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
[B] For a TC, stall RPM is how many RPMs it takes to couple the turbine to the housing to get the vehicle to move. So, if you are making more power you need a TC that will lock up later than one for lesser power. That is why the larger TC companies quote an RPM range when they sell a TC, that way they have a power range covered.
I agree with most of what you are saying here. But if you have a 4500 stall it doesn't take 4500 rpms to get the vehicle to move, but it does take 4500 rpms to get it to hook up. It will move as soon as you give the gas but with a little slippage. Been a while for me, but when you launch with a say 4500 stall... You apply say 1200 to 1500 rpms and no more while braking it. You launch releasing the brake and flooring it at the same time making the converter lock up at 4500 rpms as if you were dumping the clutch. I'm sure you know this but you don't power brake it to 4500 and then launch. It would actually work better if you just nailed it from a dig without applying any edit: gas (I meant brakes, lol!), correct? But I know for sure that it does not take the amount of the converter stall to get it to move. That's all I'm saying unless things have changed which I doubt...I'm not that old, lol!. EDIT: My point is, even at 1200 to 1500 rpms, the vehicle is trying to move even with a 4500 stall.

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 09-22-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

RadioFlyer, yes your are correct. When I say move, I mean with all the power at full lockup. With these 11" converters, you are going to have some creep at lower rpm. When you are making big power and want to leave at 4500, you will more than likely need an 8" converter to that.

Last edited by mgh; 09-22-2011 at 12:34 PM.