DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Was 2.4 60ft when your truck was stock or was the 0.6 second drop just from the converter? I assume that's the drop with all your mods? I think my truck does a 2.4 60ft...

I don't know how the TM is controlled (what makes it cut throttle....etc...) but how would just swapping the converter disable the TM? I understand all the benefits of the converter....but don't you still have TM?

My superchips allows me to adjust the TM.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

From what i understand, i'll try to find the article
the 65rfe 6 speed was done with software & a slightly different torque converter
Gear Ratios:

65RFE
1st 3.00:1
2nd 1.67:1
3rd 1.50:1
4th 1.00:1
5th 0.75:1
6th 0.67:1
Reverse 3.00:1

the 66rfe 6 speed has a different converter & a slightly different Valve body that allows more torque
66RFE
1st 3.231:1
2nd 1.837:1
3rd 1.410:1
4th 1.000:1
5th 0.816:1
6th 0.625:1
Reverse 4.444:1

The 68RFE was introduced in 2007 Ram 2500 and 3500 Pickups with the 6.7L Cummins ISB Diesel engine. It is not currently used in 2007-present Ram 3500/4500/5500 cab chassis. Transmission in these models is the Aisin AS68RC.

The basic design and operation is the same or similar to the 45 and 545RFE counterparts with the following exceptions:

Larger bell housing with different bolt pattern and cutout to accommodate diesel engine.
Modified internal components to handle increased torque of diesel engine
Revised gear ratios and Transmission Controller programming for larger application
There is no 2nd gear prime for downshifting like the 45RFE and 545RFE transmissions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_RFE_transmission

The ZF 8 speed is in a couple different models of cars right now, they are on the showroom floor at my dealership
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-21-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:37 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Oh and I'm more interested in the gearing for the street not track. 1-2 shifts for the win in the 1/4 mile. What's nice is you can control gearing at the track with tire size. But on the street you are limited to what looks normal lol. I love my AT's on the street, but they don't fit in well at the track... I know you spend a lot of time with your truck at the track, I drive my truck on the street more than at the track....usually I don't run mine as it's amongst the slower vehicles lol.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
From what i understand, i'll try to find the article
the 65rfe 6 speed was done with software & a slightly different torque converter

the 66rfe 6 speed has a different converter & a slightly different Valve body that allows more torque

this part i am Only Guessing at
the 68 transmission is used in the diesels & they have a ton of torque
the 66rfe is a 68rfe gear set in a 545rfe case. All your other info appears to be correct from what I know.

In other words, "the 66rfe is a 68rfe for the hemi..."

Old 09-21-2011, 03:50 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:527
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Was 2.4 60ft when your truck was stock or was the 0.6 second drop just from the converter? I assume that's the drop with all your mods? I think my truck does a 2.4 60ft...

I don't know how the TM is controlled (what makes it cut throttle....etc...) but how would just swapping the converter disable the TM? I understand all the benefits of the converter....but don't you still have TM?

My superchips allows me to adjust the TM.
at the time (Hot day in mid July)
I had a Bully Dog GT, canned 91 tune, stock shift points and rev limiter settings, a K&N drop-in filter, and my Magnaflow Cat Back.

The Superchips TM is a joke compared to a TC swap, I've also ran a Superchips Cortex, sold it within a month.

If you do a full throttle launch with a stock converter TM will be introduced (engages anywhere from 1500 to 2500 rpm).

With a 3000 stall I'm already well past what the computer is looking to retard and I can go full out with what "Feels" like no Torque Management at all.

I dont know how else to explain it but it works!

Here's a recent time slip on my Heavy Ass 305/50R20 Terra Grapplers/ Stock 20" Wheels ...combo weighs in at 90lbs each, no DR's for gear reduction or traction

and look at my 60' times with the new Edge TC... (far left slip I spun out in 2wd, next two where done in awd)

That was a HOT day too, at over 3500' DA
...corrected would be 13.876@98.238 ...and That's Just my "Street Performance"

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-21-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:58 PM

Ok I didn't realize the TM was only under 2,500 rpms...

So the 2.4 to 1.8 60ft was from the aftermarket intake, the diablo tune, and the TC? That's a very impressive drop.

I talked with Circle D today about converters and he basically told me I wouldn't hardly gain anything with an aftermarket converter...(something seems off here)...he said my 4.7L already has the high stall converter...but from what I understand the 4.7L and 5.7L use the same stock converter....I guess I'll have to check with the parts guys...mine flashes to about 2000 rpm stock.

Last edited by snrusnak; 09-21-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:10 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:527
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Ok I didn't realize the TM was only under 2,000 rpms...

So the 2.4 to 1.8 60ft was from the aftermarket intake, the diablo tune, and the TC? That's a very impressive drop.

I talked with Circle D today about converters and he basically told me I wouldn't hardly gain anything with an aftermarket converter...(something seems off here)...he said my 4.7L already has the high stall converter...but from what I understand the 4.7L and 5.7L use the same stock converter....I guess I'll have to check with the parts guys...mine flashes to about 2000 rpm stock.
I still have not track tested my new Volant with Dual 3"Ram-Air feeder Tubes yet,
my best times (listed in my sig) were with just my Airaid intake. Diablo Tune, CatBack and DR's..nothing else
.....and they will be crushed very soon! MUUUUHHAAHAAAAA!! (evil laughter)

TM is most noticeable from 1500 rpm to 2500 rpm at launch. Not just under 2000, so even the 2600 stall in the R/T is somewhat limited.
Plus its made with cheap plastic internals like the 2300 (plastic bearing retainer and stator)

Most people consider the stock TC at 2300 to be high for stock, which it is for maybe a 3500 lb car that would likely be around 1800.
...Not a 5500 pound truck (IMHO)

You wont see as much benefit in a TC swap because you dont have as much torque to release with a 4.7L

Have you had a Dyno done to see where your peak torque levels are? mine is 3600 rpm @ 350fllbs at the wheels. and Now I'm there Very shortly after launch

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-21-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM

My truck has between 225-250 ft lb at the wheels between 3250-5500 rpm according to the superchips dyno. I've never dynoed my truck. Probably never will unless maybe once I have done all mods that I want just to see what it ended up at. I understand it will not stall as high, but I think the guy at circle D may have been mistaken about there being two different stock converters. You said yours flashed to 2200, mine flashes to 2000....so they sound like they are the same converter (4.7L with less output flashing at a lower rpm). I'd be very happy with a 2800 stall, the engine pulls pretty hard starting at 3000 rpm. The guy at edge said the 3000 stall for the hemi would be around 2800 for my 4.7L.

Something doesn't seem right with that....our trucks should lose basically the same through the drive train as they are basically identical(if anything I'd expect you with 4wd to lose slightly more)...but you only show a 59 ft lb loss I show a 80ft lb loss.....something not right there...

Old 09-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

The difference in torque/strength between the 545 and the 66 is night and day. Hopefully, I'll be looking at the inside of one of these things in a few days so I'll have more info on it. From what I have learned, the 66rfe should stand up to 600hp in stock form. If not, it's close and the gearing will bring our trucks much closer to Ford and Chevys advantage that they have on us now...period. Chevys six speed is around the same as the Nag1's 3.54 first gear. That's a damn good hole shot for both right off the top. I don't know what Fords is, but it's got to be better than the 3.0 the of the 545rfe and crappy gearing. If you have a tranny like the TCI six speed as an example, there wouldn't be such a drastic drop in rpms when shifting like 545rfe has. That's where we're being robbed of hp...the gears are too far appart. With the TCI they are closer together, your rpms would stay up high during shifting and you would not loose power. Study the gear ratios between the three leading trannys and you will see for yourself what I'm saying. Nag1 is 3.54,2.10,1.4,100 and 83 for fifth. TCI has a funky first but the gears are close together so you'd use a lower rear gear. 2.97,2.23,1.51,118,100, and 75 for sixth. Those mean gears make for some really quick ET's over all of them, except it has a taller first gear than the Nag1 which you compinsate for with a lower rear gear. Not for me though, because I want some over drive for cruising. But if I were just racing, the TCI would be my choice. Second would be the Nag1 and the 545rfe would be my last choice. Now the 66rfe has good gears all around and they're closer together. 3.23,1.84,1.41,100, .82, and a nice 63 for sixth and good for everyday street use. And it's much stronger than the 545. For all out racing you want to go through the traps in a one to one gear ratio, that's where all the power is. Think about it, you go through the traps in fifth with the TCI and in forth with the 66rfe and Nag1. With the 545rfe you're stuck like chuck in third gear going through the traps now go figure, lol!. And everyone knows that you need a good stall to put the power down to the wheels. I'm just not one to waste my money when there are better transmissions to spend it on and the 545rfe ain't one of them.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:57 PM

Do most of the track guys on here hit 3rd on the track? I don't even come close due to my gearing and tire size...