DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:527
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Yup, I'm 1:1 through the traps

1-2-2prime-3 , just catches 4th at the line , my best trap 98.5 (101.2 DA corrected)
I get awesome track performance on my Drag Radials, beating up on 6.2L Denali's ...even the Magnacharged ones.

My truck may not be quite as quick on my Heavier Grapplers on the street
but its still a low 14 - high13 second Beast, and good enough to take down the competition that are not running Superchargers.

Beating them by an even wider margin with a $4000 transmission upgrade is going to hurt my wallet more than their pride, YMMV

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-21-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
Yup, I'm 1:1 through the traps

1-2-2prime-3 , just catches 4th at the line , my best trap 98.5 (101.2 DA corrected)
I get awesome track performance on my Drag Radials, beating up on 6.2L Denali's ...even the Magnacharged ones.

My truck may not be quite as quick on my Heavier Grapplers on the street
but its still a low 14 - high13 second Beast, and good enough to take down the competition that are not running Superchargers.

Beating them by an even wider margin with a $4000 transmission upgrade is going to hurt my wallet more than their pride, YMMV
You're doing a damn good job for all of us here, and I have the upmost respect for you! Your truck is awesome and you know what you're doing, and it's good for Mopar fans like me. I follow your threads and watch and look at every pic and video you post. You are definately da man bro, keep up the good work. I learn a lot off of people like you who get the hands dirty for other to benifit from. You're an asset to the Ram community and I feel I owe you, lol! So I wish you prosperity and good fortune to come because I know if you could you'd have one of the baddest trucks on the planet, lol!!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:25 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Do most of the track guys on here hit 3rd on the track? I don't even come close due to my gearing and tire size...
Maybe not unless they are running 456 gears. But that's where the sweet spot is for all out racing and that's why I'd like to try a 4.30 for mine. That's also why some pro stockers and up use 2 speed power gluides like the drag pac V10 Challenger. It has a Chevy 2 speed power gluide in it straight from Mopar running 9's.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:36 PM

BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
You're doing a damn good job for all of us here, and I have the upmost respect for you! Your truck is awesome and you know what you're doing, and it's good for Mopar fans like me. I follow your threads and watch and look at every pic and video you post. You are definately da man bro, keep up the good work. I learn a lot off of people like you who get the hands dirty for other to benifit from. You're an asset to the Ram community and I feel I owe you, lol! So I wish you prosperity and good fortune to come because I know if you could you'd have one of the baddest trucks on the planet, lol!!
LOL! you're going to give me a swollen head Brother
...unless you're just being sarcastic haha ...either way , thanks' ...I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
Maybe not unless they are running 456 gears. But that's where the sweet spot is for all out racing and that's why I'd like to try a 4.30 for mine. That's also why some pro stockers and up use 2 speed power gluides like the drag pac V10 Challenger. It has a Chevy 2 speed power gluide in it straight from Mopar running 9's.
My effective gear ratio is 4.30:1 on my 27" tall DR's = perfect!
On the my street tires the stock 3.55s are great for my RCSB and good for 23 mph highway.

I feel like I'm getting the best all round bang for my $$$

Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:46
garner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do most of the track guys on here hit 3rd on the track? I don't even come close due to my gearing and tire size...
I think I hit 3rd near the end but I don't really pay attention to my shifts. Only one I really feel is the 1-2 shift because it seems like it slows after that shift
Best time: 14.7402 @87.53 on bald goodyear fortera sl 285 45 22 in 2500 DA. Corrected to 14.301 @ 90.28
Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

BRH have you tried shifting 1-2-3 instead of 1-2-2p-3? I'd think you'd run quicker with one less shift...but I would bet you've tried both ways...

Can you comment on your tq you posted above? I'm trying to figure out if something is wrong/typo/or I'm just missing something.....peak torque of 350 ft lb(I assume that's with your mods) at 3600rpm seems off...? Don't get pissed I'm not being a jerk it just doesn't seem right to me... I'd expect peak torque more at like 5,000 rpm or so...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
My truck has between 225-250 ft lb at the wheels between 3250-5500 rpm according to the superchips dyno. I've never dynoed my truck. Probably never will unless maybe once I have done all mods that I want just to see what it ended up at. I understand it will not stall as high, but I think the guy at circle D may have been mistaken about there being two different stock converters. You said yours flashed to 2200, mine flashes to 2000....so they sound like they are the same converter (4.7L with less output flashing at a lower rpm). I'd be very happy with a 2800 stall, the engine pulls pretty hard starting at 3000 rpm. The guy at edge said the 3000 stall for the hemi would be around 2800 for my 4.7L.

Something doesn't seem right with that....our trucks should lose basically the same through the drive train as they are basically identical(if anything I'd expect you with 4wd to lose slightly more)...but you only show a 59 ft lb loss I show a 80ft lb loss.....something not right there...
A higher HP Engine will stall higher using the identical TC,
I asked Andre at Edge "The Expert" about a slightly higher stall for my Ram than the 2800-3000. He asked if I'm going to be adding more power...cam headers heads etc.... I said yes very likely. He said he'll send me the exact TC I need with 3000 stall and a 2.2 STR (Stall to Torque Ratio) and that if I add 50 HP my Stall speed "Will" go up on its own.

More HP = Higher stall automatically.
You have lower stall with your lower HP 4.7 plain and simple.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:01 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
A higher HP Engine will stall higher using the identical TC,
I asked Andre at Edge "The Expert" about a slightly higher stall for my Ram than the 2800-3000. He asked if I'm going to be adding more power...cam headers heads etc.... I said yes very likely. He said he'll send me the exact TC I need with 3000 stall and a 2.2 STR (Stall to Torque Ratio) and that if I add 50 HP my Stall speed "Will" go up on its own.

More HP = Higher stall automatically.
You have lower stall with your lower HP 4.7 plain and simple.
lol....ok i understand this and that's what I said....my engine has less torque than yours, so identical converters in both our engines and yours will stall a little higher rpm...The guy at circle d said my stock converter is different than the stock hemi converter, and that I have the "high stall" converter. I think this is incorrect.

If your edge converter is a 3000 stall I'd think mine would stall at around 2800 or so with the same converter.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
BRH have you tried shifting 1-2-3 instead of 1-2-2p-3? I'd think you'd run quicker with one less shift...but I would bet you've tried both ways...

Can you comment on your tq you posted above? I'm trying to figure out if something is wrong/typo/or I'm just missing something.....peak torque of 350 ft lb(I assume that's with your mods) at 3600rpm seems off...? Don't get pissed I'm not being a jerk it just doesn't seem right to me... I'd expect peak torque more at like 5,000 rpm or so...
You dont seem to understand how 2nd prime works, its not a full shift
RPM's ony drop to about 5200 and it delays going into 3rd by almost a half full second (1.50:1 vs 1:1)

The gap from 2nd to 3rd is pretty steep,
and falls off the powerband pretty bad without using 2nd prime
If I use 1-2-3 its slower and I will likely hit 4th (overdrive 0.75:1) before the traps...that's a BAD thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
When using manual shift you will hit 2nd prime before going into 3rd gear
it's a "short shift" that only drops a few hundred RPM before going into 3rd.
But...the evic doesn't have an indicator for 2pr though so it reads it as 3rd.
3rd consequently gets "labelled" as 4th gear....etc.

2nd prime is also used as a kick down (passing gear) when your at highway speeds in the normal "D" drive
Some say its' not even an actual gear, just the Torque Converter locking up (1:1).. but this is what the actual gear ratios are listed as:

545RFE Gear Ratios:
1st 3.00:1
2nd 1.67:1
2nd Prime 1.50:1
3rd 1.00:1
4th 0.75:1
5th 0.67:1

Reverse 3.00:1

I use manual and Tow/Haul mode for racing, 1-2, 2-2pr, 2pr-3 in a quarter mile run , even though the evic reads 4th

Here's an old vid I shot last year with my Bully Dog GT on a quarter mile test run and you can hear the 2nd prime shift
(stock 5600 rpm shift points)

and here's what it looks like on the Tach and the EVIC

Peak HP is at 5300-5500, Torque should always Peak much sooner 3500-4000rpm
My Truck and a Bud's 10' Hemi QC, similar mods and tuning...4th gear pull, 80º heat
(a 3rd gear pull would be substantialy higher at 1:1) but our CMR finds 4th to provide a better reading for a base line run before tuning
He says a 3rd gear pull is too short and the trans wants to kick down into 2nd prime.

The stumble on my chart is Chris trying to paddle the throttle to avoid it down shifting.

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-21-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
You dont seem to understand how 2nd prime works, its not a full shift
RPM's ony drop to about 5200 and it delays going into 3rd by almost a half full second (1.50:1 vs 1:1)
I understand how the transmission works. The shift from 2nd to 2p is a full shift....it is a shift to the next gear. The gears are just close in ratio. If you want to call it a "part shift" or something that's fine but it is a full shift. If it was a "part shift" you would not engage in the next gear....so I'm not sure what you mean by that? It takes the same amount of time to shift from 1-2, 2-2p, 2p-3, and 2-3....roughly. My questing was if you have tried it both ways and have found which way gives you a faster time.

Ok on the torque, did not realize it peaked at such a low rpm...very nice torque curve, no wonder these new hemi's are so quick...(and no need to comment....I know you think I should have a hemi...)

Every thread we post in together lately you seem to put me down or tell me I don't understand something....I don't appreciate your attitude. I'm just looking for some input from you and others, don't know why you have to give me so much attitude? When I ask you questions you answer something I didn't ask...? I asked you if you've tried it both ways (1-2-3 vs 1-2-2p-3) and which is faster if you have, and you responded telling me I don't understand how the transmission works...?