DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-09-2011, 12:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Extended Cab
Color: Forest Green
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Jolly.Green.Ram is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone lift a 99 1500 2WD?

So I searched for this topic and didnt really get anything. Please correct me with a link if I am wrong!

So, as some of you may know, I wrecked my truck and I have to pay outta pocket. Oh lord have mercy! haha

I was told that these guys can perform a body lift pretty easy so now I think is the time to do it. However I do have a couple of questions if someone can help me out.

1. Is it a bad idea to put a 3" body lift all around AND a 2.5'' leveling kit up front?

2. Is it a bad idea to lift a 2WD truck?

3. Should I upgrade the tires to the 30's or can I keep them same? (My neighbor has a 2500 cummins and is fairly high with the same wheels and tires and I really like it)

4. How bad will this decrease my gas mileage?

5. To not look like a tool, should I upgrade the wheels and tires?

6. Does anyone have any pics of a 3" lifted 2WD so I can see exactly what the finished product will look like?

THANKS for ANY help!
Sponsored links
Old 06-10-2011, 12:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, good luck with the fix and mods. I don't have an answer to all those questions so, it's time to .................... this back to the top!
Old 06-10-2011, 02:02 PM

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram 1500
Color: black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:74
marshallsmith44 will become famous soon enough

its not bad to lift a 2wd, but if i was you id do a suspension lift but thats just preference suspension lift will ride alooot better than body and leveling kit, fabtech makes a good kit for your model but its definantly going to cost more try rough county also they may make one for cheaper, and upgrade tires to 30's? that would probably look to small i would think
Old 06-11-2011, 06:13 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:61
dodgeguy will become famous soon enough

I have a 2000 2wd with a 3in body lift and 33s; I'll post a couple pictures.
I'm not really sure about the leveling kit; all I have is the body lift.
It's not a bad idea to lift 2wds; if it's what you have, why not?
I think you should probably get bigger tires, especially if you do the body lift and the level. I think the 33s on mine look a little small; I would love to go to 35s.
Right now, I get about 10mpg or so. What gearing do you have? That plays a factor. (Mine are 3.55s)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Truck-Bull bar 009.JPG (106.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Truck 0052.jpg (101.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by dodgeguy; 06-11-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: pics
Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
I have a 2000 2wd with a 3in body lift and 33s; I'll post a couple pictures.
I'm not really sure about the leveling kit; all I have is the body lift.
It's not a bad idea to lift 2wds; if it's what you have, why not?
I think you should probably get bigger tires, especially if you do the body lift and the level. I think the 33s on mine look a little small; I would love to go to 35s.
Right now, I get about 10mpg or so. What gearing do you have? That plays a factor. (Mine are 3.55s)
Thanks for the reply. I asked some chicks what they thought of this truck and they loved it. haha.

Anyways, you asked what kind of gearing I had. I am not really sure. I believe I saw somewhere that it was the same as yours. But do not quote me on that.

Can you tell me more about your truck. Like in terms of what you had done to it. I love how everything is black as well as the lights. I am not trying to copy you, just a general idea of what I would like mine to look like
Old 06-20-2011, 05:15 PM

The gearing sticker is on the rear axle on the passenger side if you want to check; it would probably be a good idea to look just so you know.
If you do have the 3.55s, you can run 33s or probably even 35s and be fine. If you have less and you want to go to 35" tires, you might want to think about getting a higher gearing. If you have higher, you'll be fine.

Some of the stuff on the truck was already there when I bought it, but I'll try to list everything...
When I bought the truck, it had the 3" body lift, the 33" tires, the exhaust, and the step bars. (It was also repainted)
I don't know if you noticed the exhaust, but it has muffler-back dual exhaust to the chrome tips.
The step bars are Westin Signature series; they're so far below the body because of the body lift.

I put on the bull bar, the lights, and the mudflaps.
The bull bar is the Raptor bull bar; instead of the chrome skid plate like most, it has a black skid plate.
These are the lights. They aren't super bright or anything; it's kinda just like another set of fog lights.
The mudflaps are Mopar mudflaps that are made for the truck; if you plan on staying with tires that are 33" or smaller but don't want to get Bushwackers, I'd take a look at them. They keep most of the stuff off the side of my truck. If you go with 35s, I'd just get Bushwackers.

The bumper on my truck is black because I have a Sport model; the Sport model bumpers come down lower, stick out a little bit farther, and are color matched to the body. I don't know if you have a Sport model or not, but if you do, you have to have the body lift to be able to fit the brackets for the bull bar without modifying them or the bumper.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for such a great answer. I will get on it. Referring to the gearing.

After a little thinking, I do want to go with the 33's I love how it looks on your truck. About the bull bar, how much did that run for? If you dont mind me asking. They all seem to be pretty expensive.

http://www.ironbullbumpers.com/index.html

That is what I plan to go with.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:46 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
LeKy411 will become famous soon enoughLeKy411 will become famous soon enough

A buddy of mine has a 98 2500 extended Cab with the 5.9L engine. Its 4wd but he has never used his 4wd. Its got a 5inch Rough Country lift, with the blocks in the rear. His ride got a little rougher but it is still better than a body lift. He has 16inch wheels with 35's and in all honesty they look a little small. he could have gone with 37's. The older Ram's seem to have bigger wheel wells than the new ones.

Especially if your going with a leveling kit and then a body lift, just go with a 5inch or 6inch lift and save yourself the trouble. I bet after you do it, your going to wish you did the suspension.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:22 PM

^^ That truck is quite a bit different. It's a 4x4, and a 2500, which means it sits a lot higher than ours do in the first place.
On ours, 35s would probably fit with the 3in lift, and would definitely fit with the 5 or so, but probably not the 37s.

If you're thinking you want the 33s, I would either do the level or the body, not both. 33s with 5in of lift would probably look a little small, but that's just me. It's your truck!
Also with the 33s, you don't really need to worry about changing the gearing. (Unless you plan on racing )

My bull bar was a present, actually, so I don't know how much it actually cost. It wasn't as much as the Iron Bull is, because it doesn't replace the whole front bumper like that one, but I do really like the look of the Iron Bull.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:48 PM

Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Crawler Hauler is on a distinguished road

You can do both a leveling kit and a body lift. In fact, Performance Accessories now sells a package with those plus the gap guards, which I think is a good idea because you get the package for a price that is a lot lower than the items purchased seperately.

If you're not sure of the ride height you want, you can do the body lift and gap guards, look at the truck and decide if you want the leveling kit or not. You can keep the leveling kit in case you change your mind or get bigger tires later.

One point about the truck pictured above. It's got steps that bolt to the frame. If you want your steps to be closer to the body, get some that bolt to the body.