DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough
Default Wax on new truck

I have been told that it's not good to put wax on a new car or freshly painted car. Is this true? I want to try to put some wax on the little scratches to see if they come out
Sponsored links
Old 05-28-2011, 12:30 PM

Vehicle: 2005 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn 3.92
Color: Flame Red CC
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:45
Timbo114 is on a distinguished road

You can go at it today!

A new car with a factory paint job can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant.
Cars that have factory paint jobs are cured at much higher temperatures, sometimes as high as 300 degrees in special baking ovens.

*scratch n swirl help

Last edited by Timbo114; 05-28-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:56 PM
erm

That is true for some of the more abrasive compounds. A freshly painted panel should cure for at least 30 days and more if you can wait.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
I have been told that it's not good to put wax on a new car or freshly painted car. Is this true? I want to try to put some wax on the little scratches to see if they come out
Correct, however if you vehicle is new, then it has been at least 30 days and can be waxed. Another point is that waxes will not remove scratches or swirls, you will need a polish for that.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:10 PM
erm

^^^^ Good Info ^^^^
Old 05-29-2011, 12:29 AM

Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Furthermore, if you have had something "newly" painted, as in a repair, whoever provided the service should let you know how long the paint needs to go unwaxed. In reality, there are water based waxes that will work on fresh paint, whereas solvent based waxes will create issues. Still, it's best to consult who painted your vehicle [unless it's right off the lot, then it has probably already waited long enough].
Old 05-29-2011, 09:08 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough

Ok guys... Save me some time here and give me a step by step on removing small scratches.. I have next weekend off and I plan on washing the truck and then working on the scratches. Can I just wax/polish the areas that have the scratches without doing the entire truck since the truck is pretty clean already? What are the best waxes/polishes to use? Do I have to wax before I polish or can I just wash, dry, polish that area?

Also, what exactly does a clay bar do? Would that remove a scratch?

Thanks

Last edited by nikeman; 05-29-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
Ok guys... Save me some time here and give me a step by step on removing small scratches.. I have next weekend off and I plan on washing the truck and then working on the scratches. Can I just wax/polish the areas that have the scratches without doing the entire truck since the truck is pretty clean already? What are the best waxes/polishes to use? Do I have to wax before I polish or can I just wash, dry, polish that area?

Also, what exactly does a clay bar do? Would that remove a scratch?

Thanks
Yes, you can just polish a few areas, but wax the entire truck. To polish, is to remove clear coat and level the paint [which remove swirls and scratches], to wax, is to add a layer or protection.

Best polishes? They are whatever you can make work. Professionals use Meguiars, Optimum, Menzerna, HD, and a few others. Over the counter [best bets] are going to be Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish.

As far as waxes you may want to pick up Meguiars NXT or Ultimate wax over the counter. If you choose to look online, take a look the sealant offerings such as Menzerna PowerLock, Blackfire Wet Diamond, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, Optimum Opti-Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus, or a personal favorite, Collinite 845.

Therefor you will obviously want to polish first [using abrasives to remove clear coat], and then wax it [add protection]. So you have it right with wash, dry, polish, and wax again.

If you choose to use clay [which I recommend], you will have to wash the paint, go straight to claying [with a lubricant], then dry it, polish the paint, wash it again with dawn [which I would do to prepare the surface for the wax], and then protect the paint with a wax or sealant. The clay will not hide or remove swirls, but rather reveal them if anything. It removes embedded contaminants from the paint and anything else that may be stuck to the paint leaving the paint smooth as glass [but then you can see a lot of the swirls].
Old 05-30-2011, 05:39 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:364
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

You can't get any better advise than that!!! ^^^^^^^ In the LONG term, you will be happier with professional products. Wax usually lasts on an average of 4-6 weeks, whereas a good sealant last for up to 6 months, although some people don't like the "shine" of a sealant.
Jay
Old 05-30-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
You can't get any better advise than that!!! ^^^^^^^ In the LONG term, you will be happier with professional products. Wax usually lasts on an average of 4-6 weeks, whereas a good sealant last for up to 6 months, although some people don't like the "shine" of a sealant.
Jay
Thanks Jay

Although I do personal vehicles and friends vehicles, most of my products are professional line. The Meguairs concentrated APC makes 10 gallons of medium/strong APC for about $13, so you're talking less than $1.50 a gallon once diluted. The Collinite 845 wax that I use all the time is between $12 and $15 and will wax a couple dozen vehicles. In the end, I find it to be FAR more economical to invest in GOOD detailing products. Not only do they perform better, but they are actually cheaper because they last a lot longer [even to the weekend warrior].