DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x2
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
BeerSergeant is on a distinguished road
Default Interior question

I ordered a 2011 Laramie, it has a 40/20/40 seat. I sent my quote to another dealer and he told me the shifter is on the steering colum. Is that true and if you have a truck with that seat can you please take a pic and post it for me? I won't see the truck until the second week of August.

Thanks,

Beer Sergeant.
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Color: Black (2012 PX8 Black)
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:32
chrismeyers2k1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerSergeant View Post
I ordered a 2011 Laramie, it has a 40/20/40 seat. I sent my quote to another dealer and he told me the shifter is on the steering colum. Is that true and if you have a truck with that seat can you please take a pic and post it for me? I won't see the truck until the second week of August.

Thanks,

Beer Sergeant.
Yah infact the Laramie is the only high end ram available without that stupid clunky center console taking up so much of your front. When I was going to get a Laramie I made sure it would have the front bench. Yah the shifters on the column like all standard trucks. Here is a video of a Laramie with the bench, looks good:

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...%3DwPTwDbl4mIs
Old 06-11-2011, 01:40 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew w/Rambox
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:36
moose3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismeyers2k1 View Post
Yah infact the Laramie is the only high end ram available without that stupid clunky center console taking up so much of your front. When I was going to get a Laramie I made sure it would have the front bench. Yah the shifters on the column like all standard trucks. Here is a video of a Laramie with the bench, looks good:

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...%3DwPTwDbl4mIs
Interesting your opinion, because you could give me a truck with a bench seat. Shifter could be in the column, but MUCH prefer a center console with buckets, than a bench any day.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose3 View Post
Interesting your opinion, because you could give me a truck with a bench seat. Shifter could be in the column, but MUCH prefer a center console with buckets, than a bench any day.
^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
Old 06-11-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Right, that seems to be the "popular" opinion these days doesn't it? My question is simply this: WHY? What the hell is the point of a big ugly block taking up a whole bunch of front seat room, both real and perceived? What is the attraction? Are you trying to convince yourself your in a cockpit driving a sports car? You're not. I'm all about space though and ANYTHING that appears to me be space constraining is a negative. And these Laramie benches aren't benches like you think they are. They are essentially buckets with a third seat inbetween. I have another belief too, everything in the past was better, and everything these days is generally junk. That goes for almost all aspects of our society, including truck designs. Plasticky, "sport bucket seats with a huge fixed center console", etc etc. The more something looks in design like a REAL 60s, 70s truck the better it is. Because they actually believed in SIMPLICTY in design. Amazing how people know so much these days and design such garbage.

Last edited by chrismeyers2k1; 06-11-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

To the OP here is a picture of the 40/20/40 in my 09. the 2011 is the same configuration.

Armrest up:

Arm rest down and after sheepskins added:

I prefer the bench. I know the in thing is the buckets but I like the open feel of the front bench configuration. I know we have Hemi's but center console shifters are for sports cars with manual transmissions IMHO. Heck the first truck I drove was a manual with three-on-the-tree. LOL

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 PM

Heres another laramie with a bench

Old 06-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: White
Rep:213
candy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
+1

I can't stand a bench seat, especially in a high end vehicle.....to me it takes the high end out of it I will only have a truck with captain chairs
Old 06-11-2011, 09:04 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Rep:67
Rough 01 will become famous soon enough

I prefer the center console for the simple fact I like the look of it. If you like the bench seat for the same reason, good on ya! Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy08 View Post
I can't stand a bench seat, especially in a high end vehicle.....to me it takes the high end out of it I will only have a truck with captain chairs
I think your comment is quite funny. Don't get me wrong I'm not making fun of you, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, what I find interesting is where the whole idea of center consoles come from. Traditionally large american luxury sedans had bench seats, Lincoln still does:

2010 Lincoln Town Car

Looks a lot like our truck with a 40/20/40 seat doesn't it?

Two things helped make the center console as popular as it is today, the sportification (I know not a real word but you know what I mean) of luxury cars and size. Sports cars had shifters on the floor and bucket seats so that design aspect was brought to the idea of the luxury sport sedan even though most had automatic transmissions and initially weren't that sporty. Size had even more to do with it. When the size of cars decreased there wasn't enough room for three across seating and car designers need to fill the empty space between seats.

The problem I have with center consoles in the truck is they are too big. The insides of our truck will always be more like a Town Car than a BMW. I want the comfort and room that goes with it.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!