DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: Pending
Rep:10
titans is on a distinguished road
Default Questions about exhaust (total newbie)

Hey guys, I'm a total newbie to modification. I've been reading the forums and learning what kind of results you get with cold air intake, flowmaster, diablo tuner, etc.

I'm considering purchasing a used 5.7 quad cab hemi ram with dual flowmasters. I'm wondering if I should just trust his setup/dimensions are fine, or do I need to get specific dimensions/setup? Would a bad setup/dimensions cause a reduction in performance/mpg? I'm looking at the flowmasters for both sound, and the supposed mpg increase. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 06-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
LeKy411 will become famous soon enoughLeKy411 will become famous soon enough

What kind of truck do you have I'm assuming 4th Gen? If it is, take a look underneath the truck and see what kind of setup they have. Most of the 4Gen have a 2.5inch going from the cat to a Y then a single 3inch to the muffler, followed by 2.25 or 2.5 outlet going to the duals. This setup seems to be standard across the forum in terms of duals and more or less this is the factory setup on the 4th Gen with the exception of the crappy Y-pipe and Muffler.

If the truck you are looking at has the stock cramped Y pipe I would just swap that out, unless you want more sound. Lots of options out there depending on what you want and tons of people here to help you out.

Also I think this guying telling you he has dual flowmasters seems like a way to boost his price. I mean I can put in a flowmaster muffler and say I have flowmaster duals.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKy411 View Post
What kind of truck do you have I'm assuming 4th Gen? If it is, take a look underneath the truck and see what kind of setup they have. Most of the 4Gen have a 2.5inch going from the cat to a Y then a single 3inch to the muffler, followed by 2.25 or 2.5 outlet going to the duals. This setup seems to be standard across the forum in terms of duals and more or less this is the factory setup on the 4th Gen with the exception of the crappy Y-pipe and Muffler.

If the truck you are looking at has the stock cramped Y pipe I would just swap that out, unless you want more sound. Lots of options out there depending on what you want and tons of people here to help you out.

Also I think this guying telling you he has dual flowmasters seems like a way to boost his price. I mean I can put in a flowmaster muffler and say I have flowmaster duals.
Thanks for the response. 3rd gen. Could you tell me what you meant by your last sentence? Are you saying he could have 2 mufflers but only one is a flowmaster? Keep in mind I'm a total newb, I have no idea what you were talking about in the first paragraph =) Thanks

Last edited by titans; 06-21-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
LeKy411 will become famous soon enoughLeKy411 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by titans View Post
Thanks for the response. 3rd gen. Could you tell me what you meant by your last sentence? Are you saying he could have 2 mufflers but only one is a flowmaster? Keep in mind I'm a total newb, I have no idea what you were talking about in the first paragraph =) Thanks
Srry, I was thinking you were looking at a 4th generation.

I don't know the original setup of the 3rd generation, but I believe they originally came with a single exhaust meaning the part of the muffler where the exhaust was leaving it had a single outlet. Depends on the setup this guy did I would ask him for some details. He probably just bought a flowmaster bolt on that includes a muffler with a dual outlet as opposed to the stock single outlet.

This is probably what he has put on (They run about $550):
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/sh...le=&orig=17424

I'm just saying don't pay a premium price for a $500 upgrade.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKy411 View Post
Srry, I was thinking you were looking at a 4th generation.

I don't know the original setup of the 3rd generation, but I believe they originally came with a single exhaust meaning the part of the muffler where the exhaust was leaving it had a single outlet. Depends on the setup this guy did I would ask him for some details. He probably just bought a flowmaster bolt on that includes a muffler with a dual outlet as opposed to the stock single outlet.

This is probably what he has put on (They run about $550):
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/sh...le=&orig=17424

I'm just saying don't pay a premium price for a $500 upgrade.
The guy said he had no detail whatsoever on the flowmasters because he just bought the truck with them on. Decided not to go with it, thanks for the help
Old 06-22-2011, 03:12 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

ok..I was gonna respond..Flowmasters? Really? why are peopl so stuck on such old technology..our hemi's like more flow. I thought I was a flow guy, ran one early on..thought it sounded good, but couldn't get over how bad it sounded at wot.. only when i switched to magnaflow did a get a more refined sound..and WAY better performance..
Old 06-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefred112 View Post
ok..I was gonna respond..Flowmasters? Really? why are peopl so stuck on such old technology..our hemi's like more flow. I thought I was a flow guy, ran one early on..thought it sounded good, but couldn't get over how bad it sounded at wot.. only when i switched to magnaflow did a get a more refined sound..and WAY better performance..
Performance as in hp? MPG? Also did you only change the muffler or the whole system?