DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
budmancan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy truck bed led lights help

Installing the Mopar bed lights on my 2011 sport quad cab. In the directions I need to remove the side handle and under there there is two disconnects. Mine are not there? I like the idea of having the bed lights turn on when the upper bed light comes on. ( I cant leave them on this way) Without these disconnects I tried tracing the wire from the upper light on the back of the cab its a white wire with brown stripe. Can I find this anywhere under the hood? Would rather not have to run the wire all the way up to the back brake light. I even tried taking apart the light switch on the dash but no success as I think it only runs a relay.

Anybody have any other suggestions as to how to find which wire to connect to.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

I just did an interior lighting mod on mine and tied into the dome lights as per the instructions with the mopar bed lights. I know Ransram installed these and tied into the cargo lights and if memory serves they are a wire in the same connector block.

The cargo lights should be in the green block found here....

This is where I tied into the Domes the cargo lights should tie into this same block...

If you pull off this side panel of the dash you should be able to trace the wires going into the cargo light switch.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Last edited by Stump3r; 06-11-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I thought the same thing but if I remove the connector the upper bed lights still turns on and off. I thought this would mean it did not go through this block?
Old 06-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I used my peicering probes to look for voltage coming from the upper cab light switch and there was nothing there. I followed the wires and loose it into a wire harness. Must be a relay somewhere to turn on the light.??
Old 06-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by budmancan View Post
I used my peicering probes to look for voltage coming from the upper cab light switch and there was nothing there. I followed the wires and loose it into a wire harness. Must be a relay somewhere to turn on the light.??
I got a PM from Stump3R leading me to this thread. Are you looking to tap into the cargo light circuit for your bed lighting ? I actually tapped into the wire that runs along the door sills close to the rear storage area. It's the WT/TN 20 gauge wire but there are two of them so I needed to use a test light to find the right one. Due to the power rating on that circuit I had to use a relay driving the coil with the cargo light circuit and channelling a constant 12V feed back to drive the lights under my bedrails and the under rail LED lights. If you need details I can post a couple of pics.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 PM

Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Thanks RansRam!

I'm wondering if this is why the Dodge bed light kit wires into the domes instead of the cargo lights.

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
I got a PM from Stump3R leading me to this thread. Are you looking to tap into the cargo light circuit for your bed lighting ? I actually tapped into the wire that runs along the door sills close to the rear storage area. It's the WT/TN 20 gauge wire but there are two of them so I needed to use a test light to find the right one. Due to the power rating on that circuit I had to use a relay driving the coil with the cargo light circuit and channelling a constant 12V feed back to drive the lights under my bedrails and the under rail LED lights. If you need details I can post a couple of pics.
Yes this is exactly what I am trying to do. When I push the button for the cargo light I want the led bed lights to come on. I have them temp. plugged into the interior light circuit but thinking it would be better with the cargo light switch. Any pictures you could supply would be great.

Thank you
Old 06-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by budmancan View Post
Yes this is exactly what I am trying to do. When I push the button for the cargo light I want the led bed lights to come on. I have them temp. plugged into the interior light circuit but thinking it would be better with the cargo light switch. Any pictures you could supply would be great.

Thank you
Okay, here are some pics that I hope you can follow. I will add some text above them to help you to see what I did.

These two show the relay I added under the dash on the drivers side kind of above the brake pedal. As I mentioned the coil wire comes from the connection along the door sill in the bottom three pics.

The relay that I added can be seen in the centre of this picture with the light cyan plugs.

The power I tapped into can be seen as the large wire going into the square dark gray plug at the bottom of the picture (Wire is Yellow with a red tracer). The white wire is the one I added and goes to one side of the relays contact. The other side of the contact goes all the way to the bed via the door sill wiring harness (it's a new wire that I added). I think that this gray plug is for the trailer brake controller that I don't have.

These three pics show the wiring harness along the back doors sill. The last closeup shows the wire that I tapped into to drive the relay coil that I showed in the pics above. The wire is the white/tan one with the blue tap.

I hope this does not look to complicated for you, it really was easy to do once I had all the wires run to where I needed them to go. Just PM me if you have any questions.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump3r View Post
I just did an interior lighting mod on mine and tied into the dome lights as per the instructions with the mopar bed lights. I know Ransram installed these and tied into the cargo lights and if memory serves they are a wire in the same connector block.

The cargo lights should be in the green block found here....

This is where I tied into the Domes the cargo lights should tie into this same block...

If you pull off this side panel of the dash you should be able to trace the wires going into the cargo light switch.

Did you only run the power wire into the cab? That would make life a little easier. I know on my old car I had to use the same ground or the light would be reversed (on with door closed and off when open). I'd much rather ground in engine bay and just run one power wire inside.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
Did you only run the power wire into the cab? That would make life a little easier. I know on my old car I had to use the same ground or the light would be reversed (on with door closed and off when open). I'd much rather ground in engine bay and just run one power wire inside.
Power and ground come from the green block. In my 11 I had bed lighting as well as LED footwell lighting piggy backed off this circuit and never had any issues. There is a blank nub on the firewall right under the main harness entry which makes it super easy to run both wires into the cab. Hit the link in my signature and it will get you to the install instructions from Dodge with more detail on where to splice into the block for power and ground.