DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Oh and starquest I have the stock thermostat. I will eventually be trying the 180 (plus I'm in Florida so it's great for me). I've been thinking about removing the mechanical fan as well. I don't see why the electric fan would need more help...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 06-28-2011, 03:41 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:355
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Just thought I would update. And let me go ahead and apologize to the first gen 4.7 guys who were looking for the results on the Predator (you will see why below).

So after I unexpectedly won the Predator I done a little more research and decided....I would rather have the Superchips for my truck. No real huge reason, just personal preference really, and the response in another thread about the Superchips results on a truck just like mine. So I sold the Predator to my bro-in-law for his 2004 reg cab 2wd hemi. I never even hooked it to my truck. I did update it for him and helped him load a tune to his truck. We had to download a vehicle specific update to his truck but it was overall easy and probably took 30 minutes total. Last time I talked to him he had been running the 91 octane tune with 93 octane gas for about three days and he reported no real noticeable improvement. Granted, his truck being a reg cab lowered 2wd with hemi is all over the road at the slightest romp of the throttle so it's kinda hard to tell.

As for me, I was diligent on Ebay and got an equally good deal in a Superchips 3865. I just received it yesterday and having prefilled my tank with 93, loaded the performance 91 tune. The tuner had been recently updated by the previous owner and my truck did not need an update so it was very easy and took about 15 minutes. I have not driven the truck much yet today but in what little I have I would have to say I cannot tell any difference.

This is not a rant or rave or an attempt to turn anyone away from a programmer....just an update on my situation. I feel like maybe I just expected more of a difference than is feasible (atleast on my particular truck) and that's why I have been less than thrilled. I have no real doubt that the power gains they publish are probably there but I think the problem may be that my driving style isn't aggressive enough to fully exploit them.

I am going to give it a little more time and try to hit some varied driving (interstate, hills, etc) and see how that goes. If it doesn't change my mind then I will sell this tuner as well and just spend my money elsewhere. I can't say enough, this isn't a slam against programmers or me saying they don't work. There are too many people saying how much they love theirs for it not to be real. kwatson even posted huge praise for the Superchips on a truck identical to mine. But I bought mine for better everyday performance/driveability only, not racing or towing or fuel economy and I can get the guys at Advance Auto about a mile from my house to read any CELs that I may encounter for free!!! I will update again when I make my decision....and maybe put the Superchips in the for sale postings, lol.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 06-28-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:46 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Just a comment to all those who may not feel a difference: First of all I know my truck is the newer engine and the gains are different, but I'm surprised that some people report back that it's not noticeable, with mine, it feels like I added on two more cylinders, it's a huge difference....I'd be surprised that you can't feel a difference in 20hp gain from this, but can feel a supposed 10hp gain from an intake.... just some thoughts, not trying to be negative or anything....

Old 06-28-2011, 03:49 PM
erm

You and your brother need to give the truck's computer a bit of time to "learn" the new operating parameters.

I'm surprised at the lack of results your brother is getting. Does he have any other mods on his truck? He won't get much of the benefit of the DSP tune without a CAI and exhaust. You need the additional air.

And on the S/C tune results, I am not surprised.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:57 PM

Now that maddog has said that, he is right, I've always noticed after changing the tune it always seems better the longer it's on. mpg seem to increase with time as well, to an extent obviously, the first fill up after a tune might be 1 mpg worse than the following fill ups... maddog, why do you say you're not suprised about the superchips results? I've always felt that superchips was superior to dsp, with the exception that with dsp you can do custom tuning(and apparently disable esp now). This is based on the guys at superchips (probably not the best to take info from on this subject, lol) but also from friends usage of dsp vs superchips on the same cars...

Old 06-28-2011, 04:46 PM

starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Yeah, I have read about the "relearn" time after programming and I'm not a mechanic but I honestly didn't understand that. You replace the stock parameters with new parameters....this is done as soon as you upload the new tune....so I didnt understand why it would need to learn anything. I tried some good ol Google research and found a thread about your vehicle's adaptive learning capabilities and how your vehicle has to relearn these any time you retune or even lose battery power. Now that does make sense to me...but I still wouldn't think that particular feature would be enough to make a large difference. Seems like the vast majority of the difference should be there at the first turn of the switch.

Maddog...my bro-in-law only has a flowmaster replacement muffler on his truck with no other mods. And like I said, it's so light (especially in the rear) that it breaks traction very easily anyway making it hard to tell what it's really doing. It also has over 100,000 miles on it and the ones added since he got it have been pretty hard so that might be a factor as well. As for the Superchips results.....I wanted to be sure I understood you correctly. It doesn't surprise you that I wouldn't notice a difference with the SC?

snrusnak....I agree with you that I should be able to feel a difference with 20 RWHP. I think the problem may be that this extra power isn't present until around 4400 RPM according to SC. I think maybe the only time my truck has seen 4400 RPM is when I ran the piss out of it after the Seafoam the other day, lol. I haven't seen a dyno graph for the first gen 4.7L but I have for the 2nd gen and best I remember not only is it a much better power gain but it comes a little earlier. Also, who said they could feel a difference from their intake?
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Yes the relearn time is there, upon startup the computer is running off preset data, from the last time you ran it, and once the new data is loaded from the tune, this changes all that, and it needs to sort of relearn what airflow, fuel mapping, etc... is going through the engine, and like you said, the majority of it should be right away, and if you think about it it is, it starts and runs doesn't it? lol... After 25 miles I'd say it's adjusted, with normal driving anyway. As far as the intake, I wasn't saying you said that, just that if you don't notice a difference in that either why not send it back? I would just think the tuner would yield more noticeable results. From S/C website this is what you should get: 2002-2003 add 22hp at 5900rpm and 19lb ft at 3900rpm, 2004-2007 18hp at 4400rpm and 20lb ft at 4250rpm

Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 PM

So I went for a back country drive (maybe 15 miles) with a short interstate run after work. I think, MAYBE I can tell a little difference. I did a couple of WOT takeoffs but have no clue if that was any different because I don't drive that way normally. As far as "normal" everyday driving it seemed like maybe the truck held on to gears just a little longer. Also, maybe it had a little more get up when exiting curves and getting up to speed. Then again, maybe it's my imagination, lol. I'm going to wait until this weekend when we make the trip to my in-laws house. It's about 20 miles of mixed interstate and hilly, curvy back roads that we travel every weekend so it should make for good evaluation. I may even drive it over tuned and set it back to stock to come home. I think that will be enough to make my decision.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Cool, I bet you'll notice if you drive it tuned then drive it stock, that's when I really noticed that it made a difference...good luck hope you end up enjoying the results

Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 AM

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram 1500
Color: black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:74
marshallsmith44 will become famous soon enough

If he doesn't want to keep the dsp I'll buy it lol, pm me if he's selling it or if you want to sell your sc. I also am surprised that you didn't notice more of a gain , hope it works out