DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-29-2011, 11:13 AM
erm

I am only basing my comments on my experience. As some folks will say, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

I used SuperChips units on other vehicles in the past. I understand that the technology has changed and that the programming options or program functionality may have changed since then. Bottom line is I never really got much of any improvements except shift firmness. Oh, and I was remove the top speed limiter on the Yukon. The unit didn't have the tire size I needed to change to. And some folks have posted here that even the current S/C technology didn't get them much. I have no reason not to believe them.

As far as "learning" the PCM adaptives aren't removed or disabled as part of a aftermarket program load and new parameters have been installed, so the PCM will adapt to the new parameters.

In most cases, though, I noticed an immediate improvement.

As far as the bro-in-law's truck, adding an intake to get more air in would be strongly suggested. He is not getting the full benefit of the program because intake air is restricted.

The internal combustion engine is one big air pump. More air in + more air out = more power. The DSP programming will take advantage of the greater airflow.

Just my .02 ...
Sponsored links
Old 06-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Ok gothca, I have noticed different years/vehicles have different options, like for mine I can enter in any tire size I want to change to I believe....obviously yours you couldn't....Also, on mine I can't adjust the torque management settings like my buddy could on his hemi ram, I can only set it to stock, or superchips settings.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:37 AM
erm

Yeah, each mfgr has their own gimmicks or program decisions.

For me, the ability to add or delete fuel based on air/fuel ratio; load and unload custom tunes, and the other programming/logging features of the DSP are what drew me to the tool. Now that I have experienced the gains (including a 4+ Hwy MPG improvement) I've gotten on two HEMI powered vehicles (the Ram has the 91 octane canned tune, the SRT has a CMR tune stacked on top of the 91 octane CAI tune), I have a hard time not recommending what worked best for me.

There is one downside to any programmer for me...I can't keep my right foot from going to the floor...
Old 06-29-2011, 11:41 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I have a friend that recently purchased hp tuners, and he was told that they are planning to start covering dodge vehicles in the future....that would be the real winner...but it is expensive...

Old 06-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram 1500
Color: black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:74
marshallsmith44 will become famous soon enough

Hp tuners and efi live I've heard may be coming to dodge, I know efi live is working on the cummins diesels right now and I have seen efi make huge gains in gm vehicles so that may be a good alternative but who knows
Old 06-29-2011, 04:06 PM

Man that would be great if they did. I have a free tuning software for my buell called ecmspy, and it's amazing how much potential is locked up in vehicles/motorcycles from the factory just to meet emissions standards. I bet with hp tuners or efi live you could open up another 20+hp on top of what you get from a canned tune like diablo or superchips. I've never dynoed my bike, before or after tuning, and I'm not all that knowledgeable on tuning, but my bike feels about 25% faster now that I've monkeyed around with ecmspy than it was stock, only other modification was breather reroute to help a hiccup at light throttle(doesn't really add power) and uni air filter...