DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 CC 2wd
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:26
Lie2me is on a distinguished road

I was checking about removing my foglamps and noticed that you can see the grey primer around the front of the fog lamps on my white 2011 cc sport. Piss poor work on factory painting.
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2011, 01:59 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Ram Hood
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:516
Bordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of light

Im going to go and try to find something that I could possibly use to try and get those brown spots off. They do look like stains the more and more I look at it. WHich I still dont like...

So canadian tire today.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:31 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordin View Post
Im going to go and try to find something that I could possibly use to try and get those brown spots off. They do look like stains the more and more I look at it. WHich I still dont like...

So canadian tire today.
As has been said before, claybar... brings them right off (sometimes you have to rub a little harder, just use lots of detail spray). I have a white truck and I freaked when I first noticed them, then I started seeing them on plastic parts so I figured it was something on the paint.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:53 PM

Bordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstater View Post
As has been said before, claybar... brings them right off (sometimes you have to rub a little harder, just use lots of detail spray). I have a white truck and I freaked when I first noticed them, then I started seeing them on plastic parts so I figured it was something on the paint.
Thanks for the help, would've never thought of going with that. Never used it before.

Canadian tire here doesn't have any clay bars, and no real auto stores here. So sudbury Monday for work should be able to find some there.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:05 PM

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:210
Rkeytek has a spectacular aura aboutRkeytek has a spectacular aura aboutRkeytek has a spectacular aura about

I have a white truck(2011 and under 10k miles) and notice the same spots as you, all over the truck! can only see em when I get close, like when washing the the truck. They dont rub off! I am going to try clay bar.

But like you I think it looks like the rust is under the clear coat, cuz I can't even feel anything rubbing my finger or nail over the spots.
I have also began to notice a lot of other paint "mistakes"...
Let me know how it goes with the Dealer, I going to bring mine in in the next week or two as well
Old 06-19-2011, 06:19 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

This is common, especially on white vehicles. It means your truck needs clayed. All that is is a paint contaminant. I am (was before the military anyway) a Professional Detailer. Its extremely common on lighter colored vehicles, even when new. Clay, or an abrasive compund will take it off. Claybar will work best without any damage to the paint. Save yourself the hassle, pay the $20 at autozone for a mother's california gold claybar kit, and spend a day doing a wash/clay/polish/glaze/wax/seal on your truck. You will be glad you did.

TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THE DEALER WILL DO NOTHING (EXCEPT MAYBE POLISH AND BUFF) AND YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPAINT YOUR TRUCK.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 06-19-2011, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500
Rep:210
Rkeytek has a spectacular aura aboutRkeytek has a spectacular aura aboutRkeytek has a spectacular aura about

Thanks! Clay bar it is
Old 06-19-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
This is common, especially on white vehicles. It means your truck needs clayed. All that is is a paint contaminant. I am (was before the military anyway) a Professional Detailer. Its extremely common on lighter colored vehicles, even when new. Clay, or an abrasive compund will take it off. Claybar will work best without any damage to the paint. Save yourself the hassle, pay the $20 at autozone for a mother's california gold claybar kit, and spend a day doing a wash/clay/polish/glaze/wax/seal on your truck. You will be glad you did.

TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THE DEALER WILL DO NOTHING (EXCEPT MAYBE POLISH AND BUFF) AND YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPAINT YOUR TRUCK.
Will definitely try this during the week. Getting new rims on weds so thats making my week better anyways!

Thanks again everyone for the opinions, definitely going to the dealer for my "acne" problem on my tailgate though.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:01 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkeytek View Post
I have a white truck(2011 and under 10k miles) and notice the same spots as you, all over the truck! can only see em when I get close, like when washing the the truck. They dont rub off! I am going to try clay bar.

But like you I think it looks like the rust is under the clear coat, cuz I can't even feel anything rubbing my finger or nail over the spots.
I have also began to notice a lot of other paint "mistakes"...
Let me know how it goes with the Dealer, I going to bring mine in in the next week or two as well

Trust me, it'll come off if you use a good clay bar kit. I've found a number of spots that look like they're under the clearcoat but they come off with the clay.

I personally use nothing but Griots products, have been for years. You can order them online. Their clay bar and detail spray can't be beat!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:23 PM

Well, the clay bar worked 50%

It did take off the minor so called "stains" but other than that those large rust spot looking dots are still hard in place. Ill try again tomorrow but the clay bar does an awesome job with the smaller stains.
Thanks guys for letting me know about this! Definitely a weekly/monthly routine I think. Wash clay & wax

Went to the dealer they said the tailgate and door will be repainted no problem at all! So happy about that just need to wait till I get home to take it in. Get them to get crysler to approve it and should be good to go.

The bumper, Im going to try and get them to repaint that too... hopefully

Last edited by Bordin; 06-20-2011 at 08:58 PM.