DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x2
Trim Level: Sport Premium
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
BLKSPORTHEMI is on a distinguished road
Angry 1st Oil Change

Well I hit 2000 miles and decided to do my first oil change.
I went and picked up my Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-20 Oil and a $8.50 Fram GX2 filter rated for 10,000 miles with synthetic. Draining oil no problem put the plug in when the oil was finished comming out.
Next came the problem removing the factory installed filter. The A*S H*@*E at the factory must have not put any oil on the gasket and tightened it up more than needed. I put my socket cap oil filter removal tool and turned to the LEFT. Now I have a striped out socket cap. Then went to my old tool with the band and I could not get it in a good position to turn as the oil filter is in a tight space. So next is where things really got bad, decided after drinking some rum to do the old screw driver though the filter trick. Well the metal on the outside of the factory filter is paper thin as the screw driver went though much easer than I remembered the last time I did this trick (some 20 years ago). Turned the screw driver and the filter metal just ripped up. Now after I scared some old women walking past my house because of my choice of language I need some more RUM. I did not know any thing else to do, so I had it towed to a shop 2 miles from my house. They had this tool I have never seen before. Its pliers with teeth and it removed it without a problem. I NOW OWN ONE OF THESE!

I am glad I have towing insurance!

Good luck with your first oil change as the stock filter is S*#t!!!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:10
joewally is on a distinguished road

thanks for the heads up. I was planning on changing my oil for the first time tomorrow. Where did you get that tool?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:49 PM

Vehicle: 2011 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x2
Trim Level: Sport Premium
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:39
BLKSPORTHEMI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewally View Post
thanks for the heads up. I was planning on changing my oil for the first time tomorrow. Where did you get that tool?
O'Reilly Auto Parts, but I am sure they have them at all part stores, maybe even Walmart. Look at the link, it looks like these long on once side and short on the other. What ever you do, do not poke any hole in the filter as I did. If for some reason you can't get it off, then you can allways add cheep oil and drive to a shop.
Learned my lesson the hard way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-OIL-FILTER-RE...item3a52d033f9
Old 06-18-2011, 06:02 PM

Vehicle: 2011 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:10
Infekt is on a distinguished road

Best post ive read in a while!!
Nothing more frustrating then a oil filter that wont come off, and I have seen the paper thin metal before. You rip the whole filter in half!

Glad you got it figured out. Pain in the Ass

I will go have some Rum and think of you!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4X4 Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:2453
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I remember when i did my first oil change. The factory filter was on there really good. Fortunately I have a rather heavy duty filter wrench that got the b@(#*$rd off. My second change was a breeze since I did the hand tighten followed by a quarter turn.
BT CC / Hood Kit, LED Tails, Recon 3rd Brake & Xtreme LightBar, Black Aluminum Side Steps, Leer 700, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, MOPAR Valve Caps, Lighted RAM hitch cover, Front Tow Hooks and Bed Post Hide-a-Hooks, Tints (20% frt, 35% rear and slider), Painted Engine Cover/Brake Calipers, K&N Drop in,OEM Fender Flares/ bug deflector, FM 40, SC Cortex, Oracle H11 LED Heads, 4000k Putco Fogs, LED Interior Lights, Honeycomb Grill, Bilstien 5100's.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:11
Gene K is on a distinguished road

Thats why you wait until the dealer sends you the customary free oil change coupon and let them deal with the factory installed filter. You can put in your own favorite brew at the second oil change.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:45 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

That wrench is a MUST have for the DIY oil changer! Mine is a Fram....works great, and I too NEEDED it to get the filter off.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Woo Pig Sooie!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Color: White
Rep:95
Razorbass will become famous soon enough

Man, I am sorry for your hassle but that is actually a very informative post. I stopped changing my own oil years ago but have been thinking about doing it again on my new Ram. Now, I think I will take it to the dealer. Will be a good way for me to start a relationship with their service department. Again, sorry for your troubles but kudos on your choice of beverage (one of my favorites as well).
2011 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, skid plates, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow cat back, spray-in bed liner, debadged, Bakflip F1 tonneau cover, WeatherTech liners & deflectors, K&N drop-in filter, 20% tint, Sickspeed carbon fiber antenna
Old 06-18-2011, 07:55 PM
erm

heheheheh....I wonder what the factory tech was thinkin' as he reefed on that filter...
Old 06-18-2011, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Hemi QC
Trim Level: sport
Color: silver
Rep:65
stricnine will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
heheheheh....I wonder what the factory tech was thinkin' as he reefed on that filter...
lol, I also let the dealership do my first change and then I change up to Mobil 1. I had this happen to me with my 04 4.7. I used a screwdriver and was able to make it work.

I always change my own oil after the first change as I do not trust some of the morons I have seen in my time at the dealerships and don't trust their practices. You are crossing your fingers that they are doings things right, or better yet....actually changing your oil! lol